TFA Cranberry - Yuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

champions

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Midwest
Got my TFA Cranberry in yesterday that I was super excited about. I mixed up some Cranberry Cake (7%vanilla cupcake / 7% Cranberry) and it is awful.

The smell and taste was pure alcohol. So I looked and TFA Cranberry is in ethyl alcohol. I guess I'm not a fan of that. I have several dozen flavors and have I guess been lucky not to get any in alcohol. I'll have to watch for that in the future. Looks like the Granny Smith apple I got is also in alcohol, but I haven't opened that yet.

My question is: What is the benefit of shipping certain flavors in alcohol? Will the flavor get better? Do you like alcohol based mixes?

Thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Got my TFA Cranberry in yesterday that I was super excited about. I mixed up some Cranberry Cake (7%vanilla cupcake / 7% Cranberry) and it is awful.

The smell and taste was pure alcohol. So I looked and TFA Cranberry is in ethyl alcohol. I guess I'm not a fan of that. I have several dozen flavors and have I guess been lucky not to get any in alcohol. I'll have to watch for that in the future. Looks like the Granny Smith apple I got is also in alcohol, but I haven't opened that yet.

My question is: What is the benefit of shipping certain flavors in alcohol? Will the flavor get better? Do you like alcohol based mixes?

Thanks
The flavors that do contain alcohol need to breathe and steep for at least a week to allow the alcohol to dissipate. It does get better with age and ends up tasting like it should.

I am not sure if there is a benefit but all flavors need a carrier base. These particular chemists choice alcohol.

I don't think anyone likes that taste, especially when they are not the expecting the flavor to have it.
Breathing the finished bottle consists of taking the cap off and placing the bottle in a dark area where light is limited. It also allows the aging process to begin.

:)

Last edited:

champions

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Midwest
The flavors that do contain alcohol need to breathe and steep for at least a week to allow the alcohol to dissipate. It does get better with age and ends up tasting like it should.

I am not sure if there is a benefit but all flavors need a carrier base. These particular chemists choice alcohol.

I don't think anyone likes that taste, especially when they are not the expecting the flavor to have it.
Breathing the finished bottle consists of taking the cap off and placing the bottle in a dark area where light is limited. It also allows the aging process to begin.

Can I just let the concentrate breathe? Would that have the same effect?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Can I just let the concentrate breathe? Would that have the same effect?
Yes but it will take the same amount of time to do so. I imagine the flavor is in alcohol to help preserve the flavor also(not sure). Usually by the time you need that flavor again, it will already have aged all by itself without you having to leave the cap off. There isn't a right or wrong way to do it, which ever you decide.

Reactions: IDJoel

champions

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
Midwest
Yes but it will take the same amount of time to do so. I imagine the flavor is in alcohol to help preserve the flavor also(not sure). Usually by the time you need that flavor again, it will already have aged all by itself without you having to leave the cap off. There isn't a right or wrong way to do it, which ever you decide.
Thanks. I was about to just throw it away. I'll put it away for now and see what happens.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks. I was about to just throw it away. I'll put it away for now and see what happens.
I have to giggle because in my early mixing days I have thrown flavors away, not knowing any better. There wasn't a lot of help 6+ years ago and I only discovered my mistake when I found DIY here at ecf. So don't be hasty like I was.....it will save you some money.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
+1 on @Sugar_and_Spice's reply.

I would add:

Re "why alcohol": because alcohol is a "better" carrier for certain chemicals/compounds. This means that it can "hold more" than say water, or PG. That way they don't have to use as much carrier and are able to provide a more concentrated concentrate.

This is also why you don't want to "breathe" the concentrate. It is likely to start separating and/or developing crystals as the solids start falling out of suspension.

Re breathing: breathing a mix allows unwanted volatiles (like alcohol) to evaporate. It can be accelerated by heat and/or surface area. Placing your mix in warm water (with the top open), and/or placing the mix in a container that is wider (creating larger surface area) will help the alcohol evaporate faster.

There IS a potential downside to breathing you need to consider also. While you allow a mix to breathe; you will be loosing volatiles you DO want at the same time. These volatiles are often responsible for what we call the "high" notes; the "bright," "fresh," and "floral" notes. So, it is smart to taste-test as you go along your breathing period, and not do any more breathing than necessary (good grief that sentence begs for so many jokes!).

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I hate the taste of alcohol in some of the e-Liquids I have bought and a few of my DIY flavors have some alcohol at low percentages. Shake let sit and open for a minute or so to let it dissipate. I find that heating the e-Liquids I mix DIY is also a great way to get the alcohol to evaporate never higher than 150°F.

Vape On Safely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread