The Genesis Buiders' Nuances & Rationales Collective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaya

ECF Veteran
No i don't use a topper. I have tried in the past to make a wick using two pices of mesh but it didn't go well.
When i rebuilt the DiD last nite, I torched the top half of the wick.
I wound up redoing my Agas and torching the mesh. My own darned fault anyway. I gave the pulsing too much power and fried a hole in the mesh. Now they're vaping good with fill plugs, and i won't have to worry about hot spots later.
And maybe get some of my other choring done lol

Great discussions going on here, guys - this honestly became a pretty darn cool thread thanks to your participations!!

@GrowthCurve Toppers actually arent that uncommon/nuanced as one might think. Indeed, before beginning to actually 'see' how many people indicate toppers for their builds, I'd never even heard of/catered to the idea. But what's great about this concept is that a 'topper,' or 'upper sleeve,' if you will, makes the portion of the wick that is exposed to the wire fatter than the rest of the wick.

IME, this A.) allows the wick to hold more juice for vaporization than the wick hole's diameter might have otherwise allowed, while B.) keeping the 'main' body of the wick slimmer so as to facilitate rapid wicking (in other words you can get a 'fat wick' vape off of an otherwise thin wick, finally!) and C.) if I'm using some delicate mesh, like #200sf, which can be prone to developing holes in it from exposure to a hot coil over time, I can wrap the upper portion of it in something like #300 which protects the more fragile mesh underneath. Thats actually exactly the type of build I run in my Nextiny - a 13mm H x 40mm W piece of #200sf with a "topper" of 5mm H x 10mm W #300 mesh. Works like a DREAM and is perfect for the Collector's Edition of the Nextiny which has the option of 4-way airflow but this can rapidly remove all the vapable (new word FTW ;) ) liquid from the coil and result in a mouthful of metal.

With a really properly wicking setup, though, the 4-way airflow all of a sudden becomes usable!

Anyway, I highly suggest givin' it a shot. It's like getting the benefits of two grades of mesh in one wick :)

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
IMG_4230.JPG
My day at work was positively revolting.
But after 26 years, anything gets old, i guess. And i am fortunate in this day and age to be able to throw wads of cash for fine items such as this--my guinea pig Aga T.
Threw on a wick, not REAL tight straw. 400 mesh, i think, from my DiD supplies. 6 wraps of 28g nichrome80. Exactly 1.0Ω on my digital multimetre.
So far i really LIKE this build. Soft, powdery mouthfeel to my nice tobaccy juice. Just really nice. And annealed nichrome is a cinch to work with.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Nice explanation of the why to use a topper there Vaya. That is exactly why i use them. Bigger coil, and a thicker wick to hold liquid under the coil, and still have a nice thin wick going down into the tank so the tank can breathe. Excellent.

If anyone is having a problem getting the topper to stay in place while you roll it around the thinner inner wick, ji.e. flush with the top of the inner mesh wick, peel the top edge of the inner wick back just enough to get the edge of the topper under it, and then roll around the inner wick as usual. Having the edge of the topper tucked under the inner mesh wick really helps with keeping the wick just the way you want it, and makes the whole thing a lot tidier.

Excellent thread this.. lets keep it going...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vaya

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
Thank You, Mr.Taff!!
I don't know enough about temp control to delve into stainless or nickel wire.
Nichrome is usually what they toss into that little package of bits and bobs that you get with an atty. It has lower resistance than kanthal. So i think it has great potential to be used to make a traditional spaced coil on a genny wick. Thinner wire, with less resistance than a 32g kanthal wire.
I am building at the kitchen counter in my new digs, and the cat--who always likes to watch me build--sprawls out on the countertop and naps, lolol

Reactions: Taff Evans

300fury

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2013
Rochester mn usa
Great discussion!!! I have never tried the topper method, seems worthy of checking out. I am currently using the crap of my Origen 4 ml with a simple micro coil at 1 ohm. 500 mesh solid, but not tight. I have never had leaking or wicking issues, it just works. I haven't really been into the hobby aspect as of late just want dependability. The Origen is worth every penny.
I also have the in'ax carto rocking at 1.5 ohms with 34 gauge wire. It's been a pretty decent performer . I was looking at a genny at vapin art

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG
@yourgurnard you are a brave soul lol!!
I tried a 2mm cable in my DiD the other nite. With a 300 mesh 'topper'. 26g wire. It was a WET vape. I ended up just using mesh.
Idk, i am prolly not doing something right. It was the same setup i have been using, 6/5 26g, i think it is 0.8Ω, when i use just mesh it is fine--got over wicking big time w cable.

On that note, i have some 400 mesh on order. I haven't used that regularly since i first started gennys in 2013 Nov.

I also got three more new attys, even tho i am thinking seriously of joining a 12 step program for hoarding/shinyitis.
Youde AgT. They are so little and lite--because of the space-age titanium (oooooooo)

I was going to wait until my 30g nichrome arrived..........

So i used the supplied mesh. And made a thick-walled soft straw. The supplied ?34g 4 wrap nichrome or kanthal gave a 1.8Ω read--too high :p
So i did 4 wrap of 30g kanthal for 0.8. The drill bit was 2.0mm

I love ❤️ this thing!! And it took me, like two minutes to build. And i did NOT have to drill out the titanium airhole!!
Vape is very 'Sat22-ish'

Vaya

ECF Veteran
If anyone is having a problem getting the topper to stay in place while you roll it around the thinner inner wick, ji.e. flush with the top of the inner mesh wick, peel the top edge of the inner wick back just enough to get the edge of the topper under it, and then roll around the inner wick as usual. Having the edge of the topper tucked under the inner mesh wick really helps with keeping the wick just the way you want it, and makes the whole thing a lot tidier.

Ha-haaa! What a great idea!! I've often had the issue where the outer mesh topper is still, despite focused rolling of varying pressures, able to slide up and down independently of the main wick itself. Awesome bit of insight there :thumbs:

Vaya

ECF Veteran
This probably only works for Me, with My gunky home-brew NETs:- bare S/S rope (ie. no mesh topper).
I gave up using mesh toppers 'cos I need to get the wicks out for cleaning so often!!

What's your hot-spot situation look like when you create a new build?

@GrowthCurve nice builds, man! Look at that old school Chi You :) :) I had the 26650 mech made by Style of Mojo, the Megan 318, at one point. His stuff was of extreme quality, for sure.

What are people's juice preferences for gennies - profiles that work really well in them? I love pure fruits, savory stuff (peppery/anise liquids), NETs, straight tobaccos.... I continually find dessert/confectionery vapes do not lend themselves to the Genesis way.

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Strange that with the DID GC.. I have a SS Rope wick in my DID with a 300 topper and that's superb, no problems with wicking on it at all...in fact its still the same build i first used when i originally bought it. I have stuck it under a hot tap a few times, to clean it up a bit, but i haven't changed anything on it.

But its what works for you that counts... sounds like you are getting an excellent vape from your AgT anyway...just been looking at a review Todd made of that atty when they first came out and even though his was a prototype, he really rated it... sounds like a superb atty.. and with three spare ones should last you forever!!!Greedy Girl!!!:D and more good pics.. thanks!

I am waiting an a Hellfire Top air dripper right now, hopefully be here tomorrow, (should have been here today at the latest but it was a no-show). When i get that I will have to use cotton on it!!:eek: as it wont take a mesh or rope wick, so wish me luck...not used cotton for a long while. I will show you the wick and coil when i build it anyway, so you have some images to come soon. (Hopefully) They call this atty the UFO and you will see why when i get the pictures up.

Not actually used a Dripper for a long time apart from my MCR Mods Hybrid dripper, so will be a change for me anyway.

Someone we know! also has a new atty, and hopefully he will show it to us as well.

As for Vaya's question about juice...I only use two juices..both home brewed and one is a tobacco flavour juice, and the other is a Peach Yogurt flavour, which i have just made and added a little strawberry flavouring in it, and its superb in all my gennies, but not tried i in my dripper yet,...Will pop it into the Hellfire when i get a build on it and try it out. Both these juices do seem to suit the Genisis attys anyway, so i think you are probably right Vaya..

Reactions: GrowthCurve

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
What's your hot-spot situation look like when you create a new build?

@GrowthCurve nice builds, man! Look at that old school Chi You :) :) I had the 26650 mech made by Style of Mojo, the Megan 318, at one point. His stuff was of extreme quality, for sure.

What are people's juice preferences for gennies - profiles that work really well in them? I love pure fruits, savory stuff (peppery/anise liquids), NETs, straight tobaccos.... I continually find dessert/confectionery vapes do not lend themselves to the Genesis way.
Thank You Vaya!!
I must confess, that is a clone Chi-You. I have two authentic Poldiacs. I do not use them, because they are way too much of a chore to maintain. And i rubbed off the rhodium plating off of the contacts and the rice pin.
I have tubes to use my Temons as hybrids--but they are 14500. I bought 510 bases to use my Temons as stand alone attys.
I like them alot.
For tube mods, i like stainless steel Chi You clones and King clones--they are basically the same mod, with interchangeable parts. Silver plated contacts. Very easy to clean up and i use some Noalox on the threads and contacts. Osmium clones for parallel mech boxes. Copper block with a thick delrin shell. I do not ratchet anything down real hard, and always watch out for any weird warming up of my mech mods. I am pretty ocd about batteries and only having them in the mod when I am using it, or batt goes back in the case.
Gonna increase the resistance of the AgT. Shoot for 1.0Ω. Had a couple dry hits this morning That teeny wick needs a coil w more resistance. My 30g nichrome came in, i may use that, or just stick with 30g kanthal, and add a wrap. Yeah, prolly do that.
My 'secret' for pretty coils is to wrap it in reverse from what everyone else does. Even when i wrapped on the wick itself (with an allen key down the center):

I hook wire to the pos post. Use two pair of needlenose pliers. Rotate top jam nut clockwise, and at the same time, rotate nut underneath counterclockwise, locking the wire between the two jam nuts. So i am sitting there in the kitchen, with the atty screwed into the 510 of the mod (no battery!!)--with it dangling from the needlenose pliers.
Rotate the jam nuts to position the wire over wick hole. Insert coil jig or wick-allen key. 'Sew' or 'weave' my coil down the jig or wick, hold slack of neg lead, tidy up my wraps, attach neg lead.
I do this, because i think that there is a reason why everyone has problems with that nasty top wrap hot leg. And i think that this occurs because after one wraps typically from the deck to the top, with a great looking coil--they then have to try to attach the top lead without messing up the coil and wick down below. One may lose a grip on the wire, allowing for too much slack and a loose wrap. Or pos lead doesn't get tightened down enough-and your pos lead pops out. Or you lose the grip on the jam nuts and smash your nice wick and coil (guilty-as-charged). For your traditional gennys--the top lead attachment tends to be the 'rub'

TLDR: Wrapping from the TOP down to the deck gives me more control of the slack of the wire.
(I also weave lace in my spare time)

Sorry so long-winded. After i get George to bed, i may mess around with my new AgT some more. But it is really nice rite now!!

Last edited:

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
Strange that with the DID GC.. I have a SS Rope wick in my DID with a 300 topper and that's superb, no problems with wicking on it at all...in fact its still the same build i first used when i originally bought it. I have stuck it under a hot tap a few times, to clean it up a bit, but i haven't changed anything on it.

But its what works for you that counts... sounds like you are getting an excellent vape from your AgT anyway...just been looking at a review Todd made of that atty when they first came out and even though his was a prototype, he really rated it... sounds like a superb atty.. and with three spare ones should last you forever!!!Greedy Girl!!!:D and more good pics.. thanks!

I am waiting an a Hellfire Top air dripper right now, hopefully be here tomorrow, (should have been here today at the latest but it was a no-show). When i get that I will have to use cotton on it!!:eek: as it wont take a mesh or rope wick, so wish me luck...not used cotton for a long while. I will show you the wick and coil when i build it anyway, so you have some images to come soon. (Hopefully) They call this atty the UFO and you will see why when i get the pictures up.

Not actually used a Dripper for a long time apart from my MCR Mods Hybrid dripper, so will be a change for me anyway.

Someone we know! also has a new atty, and hopefully he will show it to us as well.

As for Vaya's question about juice...I only use two juices..both home brewed and one is a tobacco flavour juice, and the other is a Peach Yogurt flavour, which i have just made and added a little strawberry flavouring in it, and its superb in all my gennies, but not tried i in my dripper yet,...Will pop it into the Hellfire when i get a build on it and try it out. Both these juices do seem to suit the Genisis attys anyway, so i think you are probably right Vaya..
Hellfire--definitely need to upload some pix Mr.Taff!!
I would love to have a Hellfire genny, but i don't see it happening. I'll just have to be content with drooling over pix!!

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
GC... Can you pop over and wind some coils for me please!!:D
Won't take you long!
Nice tidy coils again...
I'll just kayak across the pond there. I'm 47 (just had a burfday--ugh).

I'll arrive there when i'm about 90.

I always buy multiples of the cheap attys. The Youde center pin threads/jam nuts. That first AgT has bad threads on the pin. I had a pile of jam nuts trying to make it work, and the jam nuts wouldn't even catch on the threads. Second AgT has a good center pin threads.

This whole teeny wick thing is uncharted waters for me. I mean a 2mm bit closes off the wick hole! That is why i went with 1.5 bit. Will give 1.5 mm cable and topper a try in the future. But you wouldn't believe it--actually getting a good vape off of 34g kanthal.

I think this is why the Cobra makes people cry. Plus i'm blind as a bat

Hellfire

GrowthCurve

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2016
Rust Belt
Happy (belated!) Birthday GC..47 is the new 25!:D

Will keep an eye out for a kayak coming up my lane then....:p Will put up a BIG sign so you can see it!

Don't really like 2mm wick holes...Could you maybe drill it out to say 3mm? give you a lot more options...:eek::D
Thanks Mr. Taff!!!
Yeah, i feel 25. Still a distance runner, esp after quitting smoking in 2006 (twins' b-day) and quitting the drink in 2015. Duodenal ulcers and noisy knees be damned.

Pictures never quite convey the size of something. The AgT is not much wider than an ego battery. This thing is so small. And i have never attempted to drill out titanium--altho i have goggles and new drill bits for the task.

If this build doesn't work, will give a 1.5mm cable with mesh topper a try.

All of us vapers have boatloads of 32g kanthal stashed around the place

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread