Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I've had zero leaking issues with my goblin mini v3.

I'll try not opening the juice flow control all the way open after refilling, as my juice is 70/30 VG/PG. Maybe that will help? I also tried cutting my rayon wick tails a little longer, and not as thinned out as before, going deeper into the wick ports (I was only about 1/3 in on previous builds), which didn't seem to help much - if at all. Maybe the issue is squeezing the juice from the bottle with too much force into the tank, or something like that? (But I don't want refilling to take forever!) I don't know. I'm still fiddling with it. But that's the thing, my impression so far with the GM V3 is that it is rather fiddly - which is not something I am looking for in an RTA I would want to use all day, everyday. The AFC and juice flow controls are honestly too small, and the juice flow rate markings on the outside of the tank are nearly impossible to see. They have miniaturized all the controls a bit too much I think. Just my opinion. Others seem very happy with their Goblin Mini V3s.

Reactions: TrollDragon

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I'm honestly surprised to hear you having problems. I am pretty sloppy when it comes to wicking. I just eyeball the length, cut it with no real care, and stuff it into the holes. I do make sure the wick isn't touching the airflow hole. When I fill it, I close the juice flow off but don't close the airflow. Is there any chance you're overfilling it. Maybe try leaving a little space on top.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    I'm honestly surprised to hear you having problems. I am pretty sloppy when it comes to wicking. I just eyeball the length, cut it with no real care, and stuff it into the holes. I do make sure the wick isn't touching the airflow hole. When I fill it, I close the juice flow off but don't close the airflow. Is there any chance you're overfilling it. Maybe try leaving a little space on top.

I could be filling it too much. I fill it up nearly to the top of the glass. I try to leave some space, but not much. I will try filling a little less. When I fill I close both the AFC and the juice flow dial, so I will try just shutting down juice flow and not shut down AFC at all next time.

Doing all of the above, before I even open the juice flow, I get immediate leaking until the juice level drops just level with the top of the "deck chamber" (below where the chimney is narrower near the top of the tank). Then the seepage significantly slows down. It may even stop, but it is hard to tell for sure - since there is now juice leftover juice from the previous leak still possibly seeping out a bit? Could I have an issue with the connection between the narrow part of the chimney and the "deck chamber" - if there even is a connection there? (I can't tell if those are separate pieces or not, possibly screwed together?) How would I correct that? Or should I just be filling to the top of the "deck chamber", and leave it at that? I'll try that next time around to see what happens. But what about if and when I use the 4ml extension piece? I haven't tried yet. That will come later.

UPDATE: Refilling the GM V3 to just before the top of the "deck chamber" did not help prevent leaking - which dropped the juice level about 2mm before the leaking stopped, or at least significantly slowed down. Very annoying problem. I'm going to breakout my other Goblin Mini V3 and see if it has a similar issue or not.

Last edited:

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    My black Mini Goblin V3 ended up working without issue. No leaking. AFC ports near bottom of tank bone dry after refilling. I'm trying a 1.7 ohm SS 316L build in it. I need to try a 1.5 ohm or less SS build to try TC with it on the iStick Pico, so I'll give that a shot on the next build. So far I'm not thrilled with the flavor I'm getting off the SS coil though, but I just kind of threw it in the tank to check if the tank would leak on me like my SS one did. I'll check the wick and see how it's doing after a few more refills. Still no leak issues after the second refill. My SS Goblin Mini V3 tank was just a bad one, apparently. Too bad. What an annoying waste.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
    Aug 24, 2010
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    When you screw off the top cap, is the top seal there?

Yes, both seals (the one on the glass and the one around the drip tip) are there on both tanks. The second tank is now giving me the same problem, though not as bad as of yet. I probably just got part of a bad batch. Regardless, I'm not playing around with either Goblin Mini V3 RTA much anymore. I'm pretty much waiting to see how things go with the Merlin and the Kayfun. Hopefully I'll have better luck with at least one or the other.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Just an FYI, I like my Merlin:) been a good tank since I got mine. It's well constructed don't leak, the all blacked out look is sharpe. I was watching Daniels review of it & he keep talking about how well it performed with an over size single coil. So I tried it, a 4mm+ single coil so big, I had to trim the cotton tails to fit the juice wells. I will have to say the flavour improvement was phenomenal. If you have a Merlin & haven't tried a huge single coil in, try it out :)

BTW I'v been having an excellent experience with the Goblin Mini V3 as well :)
    The 2 mill capacity is a bit of a PIA, Thats all I can complain about, highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a "Tiny" tank :)

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Just an FYI, I like my Merlin:) been a good tank since I got mine. It's well constructed don't leak, the all blacked out look is sharpe. I was watching Daniels review of it & he keep talking about how well it performed with an over size single coil. So I tried it, a 4mm+ single coil so big, I had to trim the cotton tails to fit the juice wells. I will have to say the flavour improvement was phenomenal. If you have a Merlin & haven't tried a huge single coil in, try it out :)

BTW I'v been having an excellent experience with the Goblin Mini V3 as well :)
    The 2 mill capacity is a bit of a PIA, Thats all I can complain about, highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for a "Tiny" tank :)
    Is it using more liquid with a 4mm+ coil? I don't think I've gone over 3mm so far.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    Is it using more liquid with a 4mm+ coil? I don't think I've gone over 3mm so far.

To be honest IDK, maybe it is using more liquid or maybe, I'm just hitting it more now that the flavour is better? One thing for sure, the flavour is better with the 4mm+ coil :)

I thought about the extension to, But one of the things I really like about the V3 is how small it is.
    Plus it looks so good on a small mod like a vt75 Nano :)

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    To be honest IDK, maybe it is using more liquid or maybe, I'm just hitting it more now that the flavour is better? One thing for sure, the flavour is better with the 4mm+ coil :)

I thought about the extension to, But one of the things I really like about the V3 is how small it is.
    Plus it looks so good on a small mod like a vt75 Nano :)
    Love that mod.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    My first coil in my Merlin was a SS .23ohm notch coil, since they fit so easily on the offset posts. It's still in there. I rotate devices so coils last a long time. Put the same large coil in my new Merlin Mini, works just as great with my rayon wicks, and you don't have to worry about the wicks touching the air flow tube, as the notch coil bridges that air hole nicely, so NO juice leaks via that path.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I'm trying 3 pieces of 3mm Ekowool in both my Merlins today. Looks BiG!!!

Attachments

• 1022161332b.jpg
      1022161332b.jpg
      270.4 KB · Views: 60
    • 1022161332.jpg
      1022161332.jpg
      382.3 KB · Views: 60

MMW

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2015
    NH
    All of the above! GMV3, Merlin, Merlin Mini, Boreas, and Bellus are all great in the flavor department. Those are my current rotatation.
    The Boreas can take most any coil, whereas the GMV3 and Bellus are fairly limited on space. The Merlin and Merlin Mini have plenty of room.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread