What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Well my courage out did my knowledge today. I've been pulling back trees to get them to fall where they needed to fall instead of where they wanted to fall all year. There was one one on the other side of the street that was dead and tall enough to fall across the road onto the electric lines that I wanted to see gone before winter took it down and knocked the electricity out at the worst possible time. We had a huge tree crack off a month or so ago that knocked out our electric and I told the guys about the dead one but I guess since it wasn't on their work order, they weren't going to spend 10 minutes extra to eliminate a future issue.

It was a bit bigger and taller than I really liked plus the angle of the lean was certainly more than I wanted but I decided to go. It wasn't close. The only thing I managed to do was get the chainsaw out after it pinched and drive a couple wedges in to stabilize it. Fortunately the fellow a couple doors down runs a tree service and he was home for lunch. I hadn't ever noticed whether he had a truck with a boom on it and was happy to see one sitting there when I walked over.

He took off the top third so it will fall only across half the road and not take out the electric. Now I need to figure out how to drop it the natural way after putting the face cut on the wrong side.

Life is a learning experience.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Had I realized that he had a basket truck before yesterday, that problem would have been eliminated months ago. The funny thing is I've been here for 20 years and, I believe, he's been there for the entire time, althugh I doubt he had the truck that long. It's an old Asplundh truck that obviously was retired quite a while ago. His shop sits behind a cabin, well off the road. I've been over there numerous times retrieving my Golden when they were out back. He liked visiting neighbors when he heard them outside. I was going to call another buddy in the business when I realized I was over my head but decided to walk down the road and check, probably subconsciously I had seen the truck.

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yes, I'm still using it but I wouldn't change if the Cuboid is fine. The only reason I bought it was because it was cheap on sale and I wanted backups with no knowing what's going to go on in PA. They're supposed to be voting on repeal of the law that's closing down the vaoe stores and put a $.05/mil tax on liquids only. Much more acceptable although still unjust.

Took down the rest of the tree and another one across the road. The other one was dead for a couple years and the wood is worthless, but I got the problem tree down, bucked and split for usage next year. I've got two nextdoor that I'll get to next year and there are some smaller ones to cut down to see if any is worth burning.

Reactions: hittman

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
I've been meaning to get after the dead white pine in my yard, but nature seems to be taking care of it fairly well thus far. Most of the big branches have come down on their own. Winter ice ought to take some more off and I'll worry about it in the spring.

Got my new glasses yesterday. Decided to spring for the newer Transitions lenses. They're advertised to work through car windshields now, we'll see how that goes.

Finally figured out a fix for my cars key fob not working right. The trunk and alarm buttons worked, but the lock/unlock and remote start wouldn't. The contact pads on the rubber part were worn through, so I had the idea to take a hole punch to heavy duty aluminum foil and super glue the little discs on the worn contacts. Worked like a charm.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I haven't had a craving for snuff in a long time and this morning it hit me for some reason. I grabbed a can of WoS honey menthol and am really enjoying it. I don't know that I'll go back to regular usage but it's nice for an occasional treat.

Reactions: firechick

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Funny you mention that Hitt, I was just thinking how nice a pinch would be this morning. I wonder if it has to do with boredom of the same routine day in and day out. Cravings have become so few and far between lately that it kind of freaks me out when one hits me. Over the weekend I was driving to the store and out of no where I had an urge to smoke. I had to fight myself for a moment because my mind was telling me, it's been a long time, just have one, it won't hurt. I was like, WTF you idiot, snap out of it. I actually laughed out loud to myself for even considering it. Geesh, what a wonderful world we live in where something so additive can be legal to sell.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Rebel it is amazing how deep those urges are buried and can come out of nowhere. I was just a few months into vaping when I first started and hadn't smoked in a month or so when I decided to have just one. That one turned into more. I'm glad you didn't give in. After that I struggled for a long time even with snus, snuff, and vape. I'm sure a lot of it was psychological because even after I smoked a cigarette the craving didn't go away.

I ended up having several pinches yesterday. I started with the honey menthol and moved to crumbs of comfort. I might even have a pinch or two today. It had been so long since I had used any that when I pinched the crumbs, I inhaled too strong and got that old familiar "brain hit". It felt like someone hit the inside of my head with a hammer.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Rookie! Just kidding, but I've done the same. Usually for me I put too much on my thumbnail and then end up trying to sniff it all. Instant head rush and throat drip followed by nose blowing and lots of water. I have to remind myself a little bit goes a long way. Welp, just talked myself into a few snuffs. Why not, I deserve it on a gloomy Michigan fall day. ;)

Reactions: firechick

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I don't carry it any more but I have a nice wooden Patrick Collins snuff box. It's the triple where you can pinch, pour, or spoon. I usually do the thumbnail too but yesterday was pinching between thumb and first finger and moving back and forth while sniffing. I'm not sure what that style is called. I remember Wiz or someone used to do it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Must be getting senile. I thought I responded to you post on snuff and saw it never got there. Must have never hit enter. I carry a little metal can I bought at CVS, I think it was for pills. I keep a little in it and carry it everywhere. Don't use it much, usually at the end of a poker afternoon when I'm looking for a wake up.

I use the pinky finger approach. Just get enough on so I can get a good whiff. Never get the brain hits that way.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Boy I've gone and done it now. It all started with the woodpeckers. I've been listening to the pecking on my neighbor's house all summer as I worked in my yard and even mentioned it to him. He was obviously aware if the issue. Well, they've added my cedar siding to their "work area".

In about half an hour they'll start and I suppose it will be at 8am tomorrow as the clocks move back. The rest of the day will be spent trying to chase them away. I already have one hole larger than a silver dollar and three are more started.

I had been thinking it was about time to start considering a roof project since the house is nearly 37 years old and getting a new one should last my lifetime. Then I thought about the siding. This is going to be expensive and it's only the start as the kitchen eventually need a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread