Recommendations for a new member looking for E cig that feels like a real cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycewise

Oct 16, 2012
lake worth fl
I am considering trying E-cigarettes as a substitute for cigarettes. I have been smoking for 15 years and actually like smoking. I don't want to quit, but I am at the point where the health risks are going to become more and more likely to occur. E Cigarettes seem like a "happy medium" for either reducing the number of cigarettes I smoke or give them up all together. Does anyone have any recommendations for an E Cig that feels closest to the real thing?

thanks....

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Welcome! I started with a joyetech Ego AOI but had to put a 1.0 ohm coil in it to use it. It had that tight cigarette draw, and is a smaller tube shape (not as small a cig, but still easy to handle). My duel using husband is using it now and he usually picks that up before the small box and tank that was my second setup. It was enough for me to immediately quit smoking, I got my nicotine and visible vapor without stinky smoke or ash. I'm sure others will come along with other suggestions.

Reactions: Grimwald

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Yes. You need an e-cig designed for a mouth to lung draw.
If you buy one that looks like a big plastic cigarette you will regret it (very short battery life, poor vapor, low nicotine yield, extortionate running costs)
Also, please don't buy from these vile profit-mongering rip-off brands.
That counts out Blu most noticeably plus the other suspects too. Especially avoid companies that take existing hardware, put on their own logo and charge double, triple or even quadruple, and boy...there are too many of these.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with djsvapour. Most folks start out vaping with a ciga-like (cigarette size battery), but soon either stop using it (frustrated) or advance up to a bigger battery device)

I stopped smoking by using a cigalike, but within a month I had advanced up to a mod (advanced personal vaporizer). The ciga-like had terrible battery life, the cartomizers (part that holds and vaporizes the e-liquid) had too small of a volume and I was always refilling throughout the day, and I had to carry several batteries and cartomizers with me to last out the day. It got to be a pain in the .....

Using a mod, I could use larger batteries so I didn't have to change them so often. The clearomizer tanks (part that holds and vaporizes the e-liquid) were larger so I didn't have to refill them all the time. I could go the entire day with just one battery device and tank.

I know new vapers want their e-cigarette to look and feel like a cigarette, but that's not realistic. You are now VAPING, not smoking. Purchase a REAL vaporizer and you won't be wasting your money with something that you'll be replacing within a month's time.

Please read the following blog articles before you make a purchase:

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.
Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices
  • A picture dictionary for beginners with descriptions of clearomizers, nano's, drip atomizers, bottom feeding mods, cartomizers, cartotanks, and RBA's (rebuildable atomizers). Includes video demos/reviews of all devices.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I started on a JoyeTech Double 510 Starter Kit. Used it exclusively for the first 4 months of vaping, and was totally off smokes by 2 months time. Added eGo batteries and clearomizers by the middle of 4 months. I got some 1100mAh batteries which lasted a good while. Then added a couple Eleaf iStick Mini 10w mods and Innokin 16D clearomizers. I still use all of those at times, (even sometimes my beginning stuff), even though I've progressed to larger mods and a variety of different tanks.

One kit that I came across recently, and bought several for friends trying to switch to vaping...is the KangerTech TopEvod kits. They come with a battery, a matching tank, and a charger, and have been on Sale for around $10 or less lately. The coils for them are readily available, too, and aren't expensive. The people I've had try them love them, and I even use 1 kit myself to take in town with me on short trips.

Another decent kit that I've bought multiples of (to stash for others possibly switching & for myself) is the KangerTech Evod Mega Kit, that comes with a 1900mAh battery and matching tank. It lasts a LONG time and coils are also readily available. Have gotten them recently on Sale for about $10-12, too! VaporBeast even had them on sale, and I think still does!

Either of those above would be great starter kits IMO. Not expensive to try and see if you even like vaping, and coils are not expensive either. Once you find out if you DO like vaping...then browse for more to add to your vaping equipment. Some people stay with that kind of set-up, many progress to higher power mods and bigger tanks, to RBAs, etc. What's important though...is finding what works for YOU. Doesn't matter then what anyone else uses at all.

Last edited:

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
I am considering trying E-cigarettes as a substitute for cigarettes. I have been smoking for 15 years and actually like smoking. I don't want to quit, but I am at the point where the health risks are going to become more and more likely to occur. E Cigarettes seem like a "happy medium" for either reducing the number of cigarettes I smoke or give them up all together. Does anyone have any recommendations for an E Cig that feels closest to the real thing?

thanks....

Like most people have said, cigalikes tend to be less satisfying than other types of vapes but I think they are a good place to start. They are very affordable. Just understand that they aren't the best representation of what vaping has to offer. If you don't like it, don't give up, try something different.

My favorite is the NJOY Daily which you can get at Walgreens or 7-Eleven for about $7. It's a disposable and should last about as long as a pack of cigarettes.

I would also highly recommend testing out some devices at your local vape shop to see if there's a style of device that you feel comfortable with and that feels satisfying. Not all vape shops are as helpful or ethical as others so be careful about being pressured into buying. Maybe take some notes or pictures while you're there and come back here for more advice before buying.

brycewise

Oct 16, 2012
lake worth fl
Like most people have said, cigalikes tend to be less satisfying than other types of vapes but I think they are a good place to start. They are very affordable. Just understand that they aren't the best representation of what vaping has to offer. If you don't like it, don't give up, try something different.

My favorite is the NJOY Daily which you can get at Walgreens or 7-Eleven for about $7. It's a disposable and should last about as long as a pack of cigarettes.

I would also highly recommend testing out some devices at your local vape shop to see if there's a style of device that you feel comfortable with and that feels satisfying. Not all vape shops are as helpful or ethical as others so be careful about being pressured into buying. Maybe take some notes or pictures while you're there and come back here for more advice before buying.

I have tried those disposable ones and it didn't take. I am not opposed to one model over another for the looks, I am more concerned with how it "feels" so that it replaces cigarettes. Smoking is satisfying to me a cure for boredom and a distraction. I am looking for something that can fill those roles. So it doesn't have to be a "cig a like" it just has to fill the same role that cigarettes do. Green Smoke was one that caught my attention, but I don't really know what to look for or why to choose one over the other. I was hoping for some recommendations based on members experience.

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
5 years ago on this forum everyone wanted just what you are asking for...something just like a cigarette. We all learned after trying those that the battery life was extremely limited and they didn't have the power to satisfy a smoker. The tech has increased many fold since then. You really need to look for a regulated mod with 40/50watts of power and a tank. There are tons of them out there. Pick one and get started. The main problem will be finding a juice you like. That takes time and patience.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

VapePassion

Reviewer / Blogger
May 13, 2015
Denver, CO
I have tried those disposable ones and it didn't take. I am not opposed to one model over another for the looks, I am more concerned with how it "feels" so that it replaces cigarettes. Smoking is satisfying to me a cure for boredom and a distraction. I am looking for something that can fill those roles. So it doesn't have to be a "cig a like" it just has to fill the same role that cigarettes do. Green Smoke was one that caught my attention, but I don't really know what to look for or why to choose one over the other. I was hoping for some recommendations based on members experience.

if you didn't like the disposable, then you probably won't like the Green Smoke. The Green Smoke is what I used to quit. I also used the South Beach Smoke. All cigalikes are pretty much the same, disposable or rechargeable. If you don't care about the looks, and you just want the feel (as in throat hit, warmth, etc.), I say go with some of the other recommendations others have made, such as the iCare Mini, Innokin Endura, or some other AIO (All in one) device. Or consider a pod device like the Juul. A lot of people like those, but they are expensive and I've heard pods can be hard to find. I still think you should visit a vape shop and try some stuff out. You might find that what works for you is a sub-ohm tank at 80 watts on a regulated mod!

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
thanks....
Welcome back and glad you re joined the forum. Vaping is so superior to smoking, you are going to be surprised. Just remember that vaping is almost totally scalable so if some is not right, there is a way to make it better or fix your problem. Best to start simple and graduate to more advanced vapes.
Might want to read through below to see what strikes your fancy.
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: Baditude

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I think the Innokin Endura/Prism T18 or T22 are good approximations of smoking. They have a tight draw like a cigarette. I don't use the Endura batteries myself, but I have the Prism T22 tank and I really like it for mouth to lung vaping.

Me, too, I use the Prism T18 tank on a differernt battery than the endura

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Just remember that vaping is almost totally scalable so if some is not right, there is a way to make it better or fix your problem.
I can't tell you how many people I've talked to that said they tried vaping once and it didn't work for them, so they just gave up on it. Really though, there are so many variations of the vape experience that it's sad to only try one thing and give it up entirely if that one thing didn't work. I'm still on the bottom floors myself but I'm on my third set up after about 6 weeks. Everyday I learn more and find more I want to try, mainly based on things I've read on this forum. So please don't give up if your first attempts don't completely work. Keep looking for what does, research, ask questions, read and watch videos. Whatever will help get you off the smokes. When I found what really worked I found it to be so much more satisfying than cigarettes and far safer to boot.

Reactions: BrotherBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread