nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Just stuck six more PG macerations in the cue for November goodness. : )

C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Habana Daydream
P. Stokkebye Lux. Bulls Eye Flake
C&D Izmir Turkish
Moonshine XXX Blend
C&D Poplar Camp

Should have some tasting notes on Bengal Slices coming up soon; the PG version has almost gone through the filtering process; the PGA version is still in the winterization stage.

I've had to change out the 2.5 micron filter a couple of times now on the PG version; lots of sediment with this one.;) I think the fact that I had to hand rub the Flake to break it up before it went into the jar caused a bit more "fall out".

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
IMG_3511.jpg
IMG_3509.jpg

I got to thinking today.....if Black Note can do a
Isfahani..... so can we! And at roughly $10 for a 250g brick, that'll make a bunch of extract (1200ml) on the cheap.

Or you can buy the Black Note finished version for $1 per ml. ;)

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I have a few more batches of wholeleaf tobacco going.
Cold extraction in a 70/30 vg/pg base. Takes about 8 weeks before filtering.
The ones I have completed so far has been great. Nice pure tobacco taste. Now my ADV

Sure satisfies that need/desire for tobacco flavor doesn't it. :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
View attachment 604475 View attachment 604473
I got to thinking today.....if Black Note can do a
Isfahani..... so can we! And at roughly $10 for a 250g brick, that'll make a bunch of extract (1200ml) on the cheap.

Or you can buy the Black Note finished version for $1 per ml. ;)

I've never extracted Isfahani, if you do please be sure to share your experience. :thumb:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
IMG_3493.jpg
Bengal Slices:

(Vendor notes)
Black Cavendish
Latakia
Oriental
Virginia
(English)

Back in the seventies, a singular blend came to market. It was a bright, Latakia-based crumble cake made with superior Orientals, sweet yellow Virginias and a bit of black Cavendish. It became a brand with a cult following - it was called Bengal Slices.

A bit of history~
Bengal Slices was, originally, the flake version of Balkan Sobranie. When Gallaher took over the Sobranie mixtures from the Redman family the original blenders finding the composition too complex and costly, they simplified it.

After Gallaher stopped making the simplified Bengal Slices, Mr James B Russell arranged for a composition similar to the Gallaher revision to be made exclusively for them by A & C Petersen, Horsens, Denmark.

A & C Petersen has recently been sold to Orlik A/S, of Assens, Denmark, which promptly discontinued the manufacture of Bengal Slices. A replacement, under the James B Russell ægis, has been released, approximating the A & C Petersen blend. For the new production of Bengal Slices see listing under The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania.

My take~
This tobacco is a wonderfully Latakia forward blend; the more I vape it, the more I am falling for the sweet, yet pungent, smokey nature of what is referred to as "English" tobacco.

(Interesting article on this topic: What is an English Pipe Tobacco Blend? | With Pipe and Pen)

This being my third extraction of a Latakia blend pipe tobacco, I can put this bug in your ear:
If you don't think you'd enjoy a robust, campfire, smokey quality to your vape, be cautious of the tobaccos which say they contain a high Latakia element or ones which are labeled as an English, Balkan, Cyprian or Syrian blends.

(Another nice article on this topic: What’s The Deal With Latakia?)

Besides the nice smokey nature of this tobacco, the Black Cavendish (slight hint of vanilla there) and Virginia bring the sweet into the picture quite nicely, while the Oriental brings in the bright spice quality. I've vaped the Bengal Slices for a couple of days now; finding it rather hard to go back to a tame mix now, due to how much I'm enjoying this Latakia ladened blend; a pleasingly stout vape.

This was a PG maceration; heated for 8 hours at +/- 140 degrees and cool steeped for 1 month. Final mix was a 40P/60V at 10% extract.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
IMG_3617.JPG

Three more for the cold dark steep closet. :)

C&D ~ Bayou Morning
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

H&H ~ Virginia Spice
Cigar Leaf
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Sutliff ~ Sunset Rum
Burley
Cavendish
Virginia
(Aromatic)

PG macerations.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving and few days off to get these filtered.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Sad face : (

Looks like Pipes & Cigars is discontinuing the sale of some H&H blends due to the FDA deeming regulations. I got the word from P&C customer service that, come the end of October, everything Marquee and Landmark is on the chopping block.

This is not say you won't be able to get H&H from other vendors, but keep an ear to the ground for possible sales events from P&C concerning blends to be liquidated from their stock. They have 5 or so H&H blends still on the End of Summer Sale.

I'm trying to get an exhaustive list of the future discontinued H&H blends out of their customer service folks, but that information has not yet been determined by the powers that be.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/end-of-summer-sale/?=&v=5000&sourcekey=PC4W

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA

Looks like Pipes & Cigars is discontinuing the sale of some H&H blends due to the FDA deeming regulations. I got the word from P&C customer service that, come the end of October, everything Marquee and Landmark is on the chopping block.

This is not say you won't be able to get H&H from other vendors, but keep an ear to the ground for possible sales events from P&C concerning blends to be liquidated from their stock. They have 5 or so H&H blends still on the End of Summer Sale.

I'm trying to get an exhaustive list of the future discontinued H&H blends out of their customer service folks, but that information has not yet been determined by the powers that be.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/end-of-summer-sale/?=&v=5000&sourcekey=PC4W

That truly is some sad news, as is news of other fine tobacco being discontinued and also vendors shutting down.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I got mine so...here: P&C
It All Started In The Year 1792

Gawith & Hoggarth first began producing tobacco in 1792. It's hard to believe that any company can trace their roots back that far. Over the last few years, Gawith & Hoggarth blends were hard to get and certain tobaccos would come on the market and then not be available for a long time, sometimes years. When you are rooted in such a long tradition, modern technology and increased efficiency doesn't really work. The processes for their tobaccos takes the time it takes because they employ the same machinery and techniques that the company started with. If they run out of a certain tobacco, they wait until that tobacco is available, they don't substitute similar tobaccos to get close. When you are carrying on a tradition that dates back to the time of George Washington's presidency, you don't change many processes. We were recently notified that there was a new US distributor for Gawith & Hoggarth and we took this opportunity to stock up on everything that was available. With over 50 blends back in stock, we couldn't be happier to have Gawith & Hoggarth back on our shelves.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Reactions: Str8vision

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
prefer the Balkan

Now that I've taken a look at the complete list of G&H choices available at P&C, these are going on the list as well as the Balkan.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/pipe-tobacco/72854/gawith-hoggarth-black-twist-sliced/

This D&R Ramback Balkan looks nice as well:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobil...aughters-ryan-ramback-tins-bag-bulk/#p-154628

D & R Tobacco - Ramback Balkan (Ramback) - Tobacco Reviews

Kinda getting a thing for the Oriental blends these days. Pretty sure this one is sans Latakia though.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

From the emails I got from P&C a few months ago their seasonal holiday blends and I believe the H&H Marque and Landmark lines will be disappearing. Most were/are blended by Russ Ouellette, PipesandCigars.com's Master Blender. Russ' monthly blends will be going too. In truth I believe -any pipe tobacco or cigar introduced after 2007- will disappear from the market by the end of 2018. This is why I set out to determine which of my favorite tobaccos fell into that category, thankfully few did. The two that might be effected (both Drew Estates "Acid cigars") were promptly stockpiled, I couldn't determine an exact release date for either of them but it was around the 2007 timeframe which placed them in peril.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
their seasonal holiday blends and I believe the H&H Marque and Landmark lines will be disappearing.

Yup. I've tried to get an exhaustive list from P&C customer service, but the powers that be haven't made up their minds yet.

Stockpiling a few essentials of various things concerning vaping is not a bad idea right now; particularly ones favorite tobacco single varieties and blends.

Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread