Shortness of breath (rapid onset)

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
FIrst I am a Respiratory Therapist of over 20 yrs. I started vaping in 2009 before I suffered any damage from cigarettes. My condition of my lungs verified with PFT, X-ray and my own physical ability.
Fast forward to present day. I started developing what I would call as periods of oxygen starvation. I didn't feel like I was getting enough oxygen. These events were random over a couple of months only lasting for a few minutes each time.
Then the shortness of breath became continuous.
I'm telling you this to say that I believe that Vegetable Glycerine being somewhat oily has the ability to coat and occupy the space inside the air sacs of the lungs (Aveoli) that allow us to breathe. I stopped vaping immediately and have went thru every test available to rule out other conditions. It has taken over a month using neb txs with high pressure IPPB to overcome the affects of the damage. I don't believe this is permanent, but with this rapid onset if you experience difficulty breathing STOP vaping immediately. There is not enough information on ejuice and damage to even know what the damage is so be warned.
Nobody loves vaping more than I do, but if you feel like your suffocating put them down

paulc35

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mason,Wv
Thanks for the info. I hope you feel better soon. I've thought all along that this can't be perfectly healthy,but it's the only workable alternative I have right now. I'll keep a watch on any breathing difficulties.

I am just now starting to have intermittent improvements. I quit vaping about 5 weeks ago. Thank for the thought

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Just up the PG.... :facepalm: and do Mouth to Lung hits instead of Direct to lung...:facepalm:

^^this.

I have asthma and had some chest tightness and shortness of breath when I tried a new juice that didn't have the vg ratio on the label. I stopped using it and asked the vg and was told it was 80vg. I cut it with some 50vg unflavored and didn't have issues. I went down to 50vg when I first started DIY, then up to 60vg and am now making 70vg and not having any issues so 70vg is where I will stay.

Reactions: TheTinMan

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
FIrst I am a Respiratory Therapist of over 20 yrs. I started vaping in 2009 before I suffered any damage from cigarettes. My condition of my lungs verified with PFT, X-ray and my own physical ability.
Fast forward to present day. I started developing what I would call as periods of oxygen starvation. I didn't feel like I was getting enough oxygen. These events were random over a couple of months only lasting for a few minutes each time.
Then the shortness of breath became continuous.
I'm telling you this to say that I believe that Vegetable Glycerine being somewhat oily has the ability to coat and occupy the space inside the air sacs of the lungs (Aveoli) that allow us to breathe. I stopped vaping immediately and have went thru every test available to rule out other conditions. It has taken over a month using neb txs with high pressure IPPB to overcome the affects of the damage. I don't believe this is permanent, but with this rapid onset if you experience difficulty breathing STOP vaping immediately. There is not enough information on ejuice and damage to even know what the damage is so be warned.
Nobody loves vaping more than I do, but if you feel like your suffocating put them down
Thanks for the warning, I hope others who vape high vg and have problems like yours read this. I have moderate Copd, vaping has helped me tremendously by letting me quit smoking two years ago. High vg does indeed seem to clog my lung alveoli making my chest tight and wheezy, short of breath. I vape 80pg/20vg at 18 mg Nic and 3 ml a day and no issues with that other than dry skin (need plenty of water for hydration) and ocassional foot cramps (lactic acid). Lung function tests show improvement even two years later after quitting smoking and taking my meds.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
i had breathing issues that crept up about 3yrs or so ago but, i did not believe it was the VG causing it but, more the flavorings i was vaping themselves. when it got to point i could not even get enough air to complete a yawn (more painful than it sounds!) and felt constantly tired, i up and stopped vaping flavored juices and went to unflavored vg nic with 2% koolada in it and was back to normal within two months i believe it was. kept vaping this way for over two yrs with no issues so to me VG definitely was not causing the problems.. i believe this even more so since i got back into vaping mostly flavored juices late may of this year and by september i started noticing familiar breathing issues creeping back up more and more. went back to vaping unflavored koolada mix again as my ADV and this time also a french pipe tobacco a handful of times a day and the breathing related issues are once again going away. i am also still vaping a cheesecake & french vanilla coffee as a treat once a day until they are empty, after that no more flavored juices for me except the french pipe that requires only 3-4% of flavoring to be good..

think i may have gone off topic a little but, basically i don't believe VG is, or even the sole culprit for most who develops breathing related issues. i think long term use of heavily flavored juices (or/and perhaps the sweetner in lots of them) contribute a lot to the problem too, if not mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread