Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Bizarrely i brought one of my Merlins out of retirement a few days ago. Made a lot larger coil than normal, 3.5 mm id. Thicker juice,70vg 30 pg instead of my normal 50vg 50 pg. Removed the air restrctor. vaping great now for days and not a drop of juice or even condensation. This is the same tank that was leaking before. No idea why but my Merlin has been reborn!Maybe it needs larger coils? Before wuth restrictor i used 2.5 mm id. I wick exactly the same way.

Reactions: hittman

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
Do I smell a couple of Goblin Mini V3's forsale soon???

Hahaha. Possibly, but for now I'm getting some advice from other posters on another thread that may help with the problem. I've been advised to replace the base's black o-ring with one of the very similar (but not exactly the same) sized clear ones from each RTA's set of spare parts that came with them. So there is still hope for my Goblin Mini V3s. I still think they are a little overly fiddly, despite the pretty nice build deck they have, and they do barely fit on my iStick Picos anyway. Because of that, even if I solve my GM V3s' fill leak problems, I may not end up using them as much as I'd originally intended.

Since my Merlin and Kayfun RTAs may take a quite a long time to arrive from overseas, I went ahead and ordered two Serpent Minis from a US supplier. I also ordered two Authentic Smoktech SMOK TFV4 Mini TF-RCA Rebuildable Clapton Coil Heads from a domestic eBay seller (for about $5 a pop). According to the FT forums, the airflow reducer tip that comes with these RTA heads fits perfectly in the Serpent Mini deck airflow hole - providing a very good MTL style restricted draw. I'll see for myself if that is true or not soon enough.

In the meantime, my above ohm MTL builds have substantially improved. So I suppose I'm glad to have had the opportunity to practice my coiling skills with the GM V3s - even if they don't end up being my daily RTAs. I hope the Merlin RTAs end up working out well for me with their air hole reducers, as I do like their 4ml juice capacity. That would be nice to have at least some of the time - like on long drives, or during long work sessions sitting at the computer all day. I like the idea of having a couple of different RTAs ready to go that I can switch between throughout my day, or just as quick backups I can use in case the build I'm vaping on goes bad and I don't have time to rebuild it.

UPDATE: I tried replacing the Goblin Mini V3 base o-ring in both of my tanks as someone on this forum had recently advised me. Unfortunately, that did not solve the fill leak issue for me with either of the tanks. Oh well, moving on now.

Last edited:

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
So far, the best top fill mechanism is the SMOK tank's, you just need to push it open:

View attachment 605729

I wish all my tanks have this type of top fill mechanism, including Merlin.
Hey, what is the name of this tank? It looks pretty good. Like worth trying.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Hey, what is the name of this tank? It looks pretty good. Like worth trying.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

It is SMOK TFV8.
I have shelved mine, because:
1. It is strictly dual-coil build, I prefer single coil.
2. Its juice hole is too wide and you will need lot of cotton to wick it properly... in a way is a waste of juice.
3. No matter how you wick, after hours, seeping is inevitable even if you leave the tank standing vertically.

SMOK doesn't like to equip its tank with JFC, seems like their design tradition. My advice, spend your money on other type of tank.

dadash42

Sep 8, 2016
Hi guys, I recently got the Merlin from GB and I'm not pleased with the M2L. 2.4mm air flow and AFC fully closed it's still too open for my lungs.
I want to try stripping down the base and blocking off the two large air flow holes and allowing just a 1 or 1.5mm hole for air.
Problem is I can't find a way to strip down the base unit, get under the AFC ring to block off the holes. Any ideas how to get the AFC ring off?

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Hi guys, I recently got the Merlin from GB and I'm not pleased with the M2L. 2.4mm air flow and AFC fully closed it's still too open for my lungs.
I want to try stripping down the base and blocking off the two large air flow holes and allowing just a 1 or 1.5mm hole for air.
Problem is I can't find a way to strip down the base unit, get under the AFC ring to block off the holes. Any ideas how to get the AFC ring off?
Try rolling up some SS Mesh and stick it down the air hole... It works great!

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
From FT forum, not my image, nano kit previously discussed.

rDF7PYz.jpg

dadash42

Sep 8, 2016
Try rolling up some SS Mesh and stick it down the air hole... It works great!
That's a good solution to further cut down the air flow. But if I stuck it down to deep I probably wouldn't be able to get it out again without disassembling the base unit.
Anyway I'm happy with 2.4mm air hole, I'd just love to stick some teflon tape under the AFC ring to limit the AFC air intake.
I'd like to know if anyone's disassembled the base unit and how?
Not just for blocking the AFC intake but also for doing thorough cleaning in the future.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
That's a good solution to further cut down the air flow. But if I stuck it down to deep I probably wouldn't be able to get it out again without disassembling the base unit.
Anyway I'm happy with 2.4mm air hole, I'd just love to stick some teflon tape under the AFC ring to limit the AFC air intake.
I'd like to know if anyone's disassembled the base unit and how?
Not just for blocking the AFC intake but also for doing thorough cleaning in the future.
Just remove the air flow reducer to remove the mesh... You need to be very careful if you want to take the base apart. The procedure has been discussed many pages back. Maybe someone here will tell you what pages to see.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

Hard to tell the size scale from the photo, but the one that most of use complained about losing, is from underneath the top fill cap. Nothing holds it in place once the top fill cap is off. The NEW Merlin Mini does not use that design.

Reactions: MMW and ricks

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
You mean there's no easy way, not even to remove the AFC ring?
I'm surprised, was liking the Merlin but not being able to even remove the AFC ring is a big con

If you go back in this thread you will read pages on pages where members tore this tank down. They went with a PRESS FIT for those parts.

Reactions: MMW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread