Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Squonking is Pretty Cool. You can get All the Flavor/Clouds of an rda without the Hassle of having to Drip Constantly.

I got into it when the Kanger DripBox 60w Kit first came out. For the Price, it was hard not to. The DripBox 60w is a Good Mod. Unfortunately, the Bottom Feed (BF) rda that it comes with leaves a lot to be desired for Most People.

So Many people end up getting another BF rda and using it on their DripBox.

Coppervape also makes a GREAT Squonk Mod. But it is a Pure Mechanical. So one should Understand how Ohms Law works relating to Amp Draw. And use High Constant Discharge 18650's. This would go for Anyone using Any Mechanical Mod.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I've been a REOnaut for years and before that, I made my own squonkers. With that said, I found the Coppervape BF mod to have all the aesthetic and intuitive improvements that I would have suggested to the maker of the REO. Price is a huge relief from what you would spend for a custom built REO, too. Now, REOs can be had in the classifieds at a significant saving, but most of the time they retain a good portion of their RRP.

These are all mechanical considerations, so zoiDman's recommendation relating to batteries is spot- on. There are regulated options, too, that come at the sacrifice of real estate (bigger footprint), but offer a little added protection with the benefit of consistent power output. A regulated mod of any sort is only as reliable as the circuit, though. If you're handy and have a mechanical, you have worry-free operation at the sacrifice of consistency through the voltage drop of your given battery.

Good luck and enjoy!

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Currently, using one of two Reo Grand style clones that cost around one fourth of what a low end cost genuine cost. Recently, ordered a Coppervape kit off FastTech. I use Sony VTC4 18650 batteries from IMR and a couple of Efest 18650 bought before Efest was revealed as a negative business. Been squonking with mechs for about two months now, no plans to go back to tanks, or to regular dripping.

Some might suggest the fancy temperature control with the argument of eliminating dry hits. I don't have dry hits when squonking, after doing it once you learn to squonk every six to eight hits based on taste of the vape, preference. Also wicking your coil/s properly helps avoiding dry hits. I use rayon for wick but guess you could do the same with cotton, rayon lets you vape until the wick almost feels dry to touch. Look for the rayon thread in the forums here and find @JeremyR 's first few posts on how to wick. It is real solid advice. :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Kanger do a cheap regulated squonker called the Dripbox 160 that's worth checking out.
I've been vaping since 2010 but I'm just now getting into squonking, partly because I'm a stubbon SOB and partly because of the recent availability of more affordable devices.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
ran across this atty $5.71,, I thought it might be good for BF.. the well is wide and deep,, but it was the pin that caught me eye.. seems like an easy one to replace with a pre-drilled in.

$5.71 Dinghy Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

3893404-2.jpg

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    ran across this atty $5.71,, I thought it might be good for BF.. the well is wide and deep,, but it was the pin that caught me eye.. seems like an easy one to replace with a pre-drilled in.

$5.71 Dinghy Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

3893404-2.jpg
    It's doable.
    However that 3 post style deck would require the center post to be driven out and cross drilled, or the insulator notched.
    Something like this:
    $7.32 Derringer V3 Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 304 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Would just need the 2.5mm hollow pin installed (pin may have to be trimmed to size)

Last edited:
    Reactions: kross8

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

3893404-2.jpg

Three Post RDA's are more Difficult to convert to BF RDA's. 2 Post Velocity Styled RDA's are usually relatively simple. There are also BF Ready RDA's to choose from.

I have tried this and it works very well for Dual Coils...

$11.50 Authentic Movkin JC25-RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 24.5mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And this is my All Time Favorite for Single Coils...

$9.35 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And this is supposed to Very Similar to the NarDa but with More Airflow and Easier to trap Multiple Wire coils...

$10.40 Odis Atty Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

BTW - FT recently listed a BF 510...

$3.74 Refilling Screw for Atomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

They just Didn't say what Size thread it is.

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    Reactions: puffon

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    since you're new to vaping... go for one with safeties or one that is regulated... you already know the dripbox 60w is probably the cheapest out there it's a sorta mechanical with a safety chip, getting different BF rda's definitely available. I really do like mine, but I am getting into coils that require more oomph from batteries than the singles so that's why I want a 160w and its more extensive options. regulated are now coming out more by several brands.

Reactions: kross8

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    since you're new to vaping... go for one with safeties or one that is regulated... you already know the dripbox 60w is probably the cheapest out there it's a sorta mechanical with a safety chip, getting different BF rda's definitely available. I really do like mine, but I am getting into coils that require more oomph from batteries than the singles so that's why I want a 160w and its more extensive options. regulated are now coming out more by several brands.
    I ordered a pico squeeze,,regulated 1 step above a full mech I suppose. I will look at others if I like it.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    from what I understand, they are the same concept as the kanger 60w, just a little smaller and 50w. they do have some battery protection but there's not much on details. I know the kanger one has the battery protection and 10 second cutoff. they're roughly the same price as a kit, the pico being slightly higher and less common to find currently. I like the idea of a compact squonker and they definitely are.

Reactions: GeorgeS

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    The Geekvape Tsunami is a good dripper as well, comes with a extra 510 pin for squonking and can be used in either a single or dual coil mode.
    I agree. I do find that is it is more geared to DTL with low ohm dual coil builds though. I am using a 24mm Tsunami with my REO and it works great. No complaints at all and no leaking.

The authentics can be found for under $30 and clones under $10.

Reactions: Burnie
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread