PA House set to vote on $.05/ml e-liquid tax bill today

Status
Not open for further replies.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The Extraordinary League Of Vaping Political Annoyers Public Group | Facebook

"My fellow business owners, vapers, and suppliers; today is a sad day in Pennsylvania. With today closing the last regular legislative session day, the battle for a revised vapor tax in Pennsylvania is over for 2016. This by no means indicates that we are done fighting. There are many battles remaining and your continued moral and financial support is critical.

Where do we go from here? That is the question on everyone’s mind today. It is highly likely that many additional vape shops will close, consumer access to these life-saving products in the Commonwealth will be dramatically reduced, and public health will suffer. These are givens. What is uncertain at this time is what the future will be for vapor products in Pa. As a trade association, SFATA will continue to explore all avenues to revise or remove this tax. As an individual, I will continue to do everything in my power to affect this change. I will continue to be active in formulating plans and strategies for reform. I vow to keep people abreast as these strategies develop and your continued support will be invaluable and required for any hope of success.

One thing that was made clear through this process is that political agendas and ideologies often override facts, science, and even our passion. As I repeatedly met with legislators, staffers, members of the public and reporters, what continued to amaze me was the misperceptions that exist about these products. For those of you seeking an immediate rallying cry or course of action, it will be this: EDUCATE! We need to respectfully and politely educate as many people as possible about what vapor products are and what they are not. We are NOT tobacco! The more people that are made to understand, the easier our fight becomes going forward. Should you need any information or advice, please reach out.

I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you….to everyone. There have been so many people spending time, effort and energy on this issue for the last few months that they are too numerous to include them all. I am proud of our community. We rallied as one without petty differences driving wedges. Business owners who compete against each other have come together for a common goal, and that is amazing and heartwarming to see. This unity needs to continue should we hope for success.

My heart is sad. Sad for my family, sad for my business, my employees, my customers. But I am also angry. Angry that we failed in our reform efforts, angry that even when it seemed we had so much support we weren’t successful, and angry that consumers, business owners and smokers will suffer as a result of this onerous tax on this life-saving product. The time has come to focus that anger, embrace the sadness, harness the passion and fight on! We have done amazing things in Pennsylvania the last few months and as a vibrant, organized, passionate community we will continue to do so. Our cause is just and righteous…..we want to save smoker’s lives….and we will continue to fight until we have no fight left!

Thank you again to all that have supported us, and for those of you that have yet to enter the fight….THE TIME IS NOW!"
    #NOTGOINGQUIETLY

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    For those of you seeking an immediate rallying cry or course of action, it will be this: EDUCATE! We need to respectfully and politely educate as many people as possible about what vapor products are and what they are not. We are NOT tobacco! The more people that are made to understand, the easier our fight becomes going forward.
    Some of us have been saying this for years and years.
    And yet there are still multitudes of vapers that won't even bother.
    :(

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2009
    The PA House has adjourned until November 14
    PA House of Representatives

Typically, at the end of each two-year PA legislative session
    (during lame duck session after the election), the PA House and PA Senate schedule 3-5 session days.

But the PA House didn't even vote on HB 2343 for a second reading, and every House bill is required to prevail on three readings before it can be sent to the Senate, where it would be assigned to a Committee, likely Finance, where it would need to be approved for a first reading before going the full Senate to be approved for a second and third reading, all of which need to occur before the bill goes to the Governor.

Don't know if HB 2342 would even be eligible for House consideration in November's lame duck session, as leaders of House and/or Senate typically limit the bills that are considered during lame duck sessions.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread