Odis Collection & Design O-Atty RDA Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoey5

Dec 21, 2009
Toronto
device: O-Atty
Company Odis Collection & Design

Picked up a new rda from Odis Collection, they are located in my home city (Toronto, Canada) which is kind of cool. Thought I'd do a little review on the unit. I'm assuming the tank is also made in Canada though there isn't much information available on the RDA from the website.

The O-Atty RDA from Odis Collection is a Single Coil RDA which retails for $199.99 Canadian (about $160 US) and reminds me a lot of the Narda. Considering they make some caps for the Narda, I guessing that's were they got their design inspiration which isn't a bad thing as anyone who has used a Narda can agree with.

The box that the O-Atty comes in is a pretty standard cardboard box, for the price, I would like to see something a little nicer but then I don't vape boxes...well actually I do...never mind.... Included with the box besides the RDA is a spare baggie which includes an extra set of screws, an allen key and two additional o-rings. More on the included spare parts later.
Box.jpg

The O-Atty itself is very will machined, it appeared free of machine oil and blemishes (keep that in mind if you see any self created scratches in the images). It's a short 22mm diameter Dripper that measures (roughly) 22mm in height with the included drip tip. Personally I wish it was a little taller but tube mod users may really like this RDA.
Mods.jpg

Top Cap / Drip Tip
The Top Cap is a solid piece with two (roughly) 4mm tear dropped air holes on both sides that line up with the centered coil. The tear drop air hole design that lines up with the Deck air holes may contribute to this being a very quiet RDA. The cap takes standard 510 drip tips without any add-on, so note the smaller diameter on the bottom of the included drip tip. I haven't found the air-flow to be restrictive at all and it's perfect for lung hits on a single coil RDA, however is subject to ones personal preference.
TopRDA.jpg

Deck

The deck on the O-ATTY is downright beautiful with it's gold plated positive pin and screws down to it's bottom etching which as you can see is also prone to scratching. To add to the aesthetics is the unique angled air flow design. They say that this design contributes to flavor while reducing leakage. Using the tank for a couple of day, I would agree with both of those claims (more on that later). Around the deck are the typical two O-rings found on most RDA's. The O-rings are a perfect fit preventing leakage while making it easy to pull off the top cap without even lubing them down first.
DeckRDA.jpg

One thing you may have noticed is that the head of the allen screws are a little small to grip your coil. That's because underneath the screws are two clamps that used to hold the coil. Due to the way the deck is designed, I find it's necessary to completely remove one set of screw/clamp in order to feed your coil. According to Odis, they also recommend that you remove the positive screw/clamp. Slide the coil under the negative and tighten it before re-attaching the positive clamp/screw. For such an expensive device, it would have been nice if they could have come up with a better solution. People with large fingers may get frustrated building on this deck. You'll also notice by the shape of the clamps, they are mounted in a specific alignment. The fact that you have to remove the screw and clamp requires you to take extra caution not to drop them. You could be spending the next little while on the floor looking for them and possibly not being able to find them at all. For this reason, it's a little surprising that the spare bag doesn't include an extra set of clamps along with the extra set of screws. At the very least, they could have included an screw driver type tool to make it easier to reassemble the positive screw.

On a positive side, after building the deck 6 or 7 days, I've gotten used to the clamp system and can built the deck about as quick as I've been any other deck. The clamp system also works surprisingly well with installing and securing any gauge wire including some large fused caption coils I've inserted.
Screws&Clamps.jpg

Coiling & Wicking

Once you get past the negatives on the screw/clamp this deck is surprisingly easy to build. An example build with a 3mm 26g coil. I removed the positive screw/clamp. I slid one end of the wire under the negative clamp and while holding the coiling down flat on the deck I twist and tightened the negative side down. I then aligned and screwed in the positive clamp/screw twisting the wire and tightening it down. The result is a perfectly centered and air hole aligned coil in the deck. Wicking is your standard affair using just enough cotton to reach the bottom of the 6mm well however you do have to ensure it's not blocking the air holes. Due to the size of the air hole sides, it's a little hard to get your fingers into the deck to pull the cotton through. So once you feed it in (4th on the right) you may have to use tweezers to pull it through.
Coiling&Wicking.jpg

Accessories
A gold plated Bottom Feeder Pin is currently available for purchase for all you Squonking fans out there. It retails for $29.99 Canadian ($23.00 US)

There are also plans to release several replacement caps to fit the design of the RDA to your style. No word on the availability of the replacement caps but you can catch a preview of several caps in this video

My Experience
The O-Atty is an expensive RDA and doesn't have the easiest system to build but they say good things don't always come easy. Between building, you spend days in heaven! This thing performs beautifully! It quietly produces an extremely smooth, dense and very flavorful vape without any spit back or dry hit interruptions. It does all this while only (depending on your coil and preference) taking 20-30 watts of battery life out of your day. It's also relatively leak proof, short of holding the RDA upside down or air hole side down, I haven't had any leakage with 6ml of e-juice sitting in the well.

Of course this RDA isn't for everyone a lot of people will bock at the price but for those who are looking for an excellent vape experience, it's definitely an RDA to consider.

One thing I should point out is that when I got the RDA it wouldn't sit flush on a number of my mods. The center pin is adjustable but it needs to be tapped, press it in as apposed to turning it. I was able to resolve this with some communication with Odis Collection & Design. They were very quick to respond and offered to assist before I got it adjusted.
Vaping.jpg

Pros

- Produces very dense flavorful vapor
- Quiet air-holes
- Very leak proof
- Top Notch Build Quality
- Minimal to no Spit back (I haven't had any spit back at all)
- Single Coil lower wattage builds for people who want longer lasting performance
- Can fit coils
- Additional Cap options coming (according to their website) including a transparent cap to show the gold baby
- Easy to Align Coils in build
- No Dry Hits
- Excellent support, company stands behind it's product
- Canadian Made
- Not Chinese Made
- Can't put it down

Cons
- Not the easiest deck to build on
- Can leak if held upside down or air-hole facing down
- Should have included a screw driver type tool
- Should have included an additional set of clamps
- Deck space a little tight to get wick through with your fingers
- Limited information on the Odis & Design Collection website
- Can't put it down

Last edited:

Shoey5

Dec 21, 2009
Toronto
hey man mine is on the way and I was thinking about putting ss mesh in it. What would your take be as far as how to go about doing it since you have it already. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

I'm not a mesh guy but I figured I'd give it a try. First attempt was to just put a piece in the coil but no way to get wicking properly. Next few attempts I curved the mesh wick. Last attempt I angled the coil on the side a little down that when I screw it into my mod it would be facing down when I brought the atty to my mouth. With the way it's designed, if you angle it right to your mouth, the mesh is saturated every time from the juice in the well. Works pretty good, emptied the juice well and some before I made the dry mesh face :) Just have to make sure your wick is properly oxidized so you don't short.

Like I said though not a mesh guy, amateurish build but considering I got it vaping rather nicely in 3 builds, looks like it will work pretty good. I'm sure you may be able to come up with a better method :) BTW, the wick I used was about 21mm in length.

Mesh.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread