Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I was reading the bill again and there is a bit of a catch 22 in regards to filing a purchase as an unclassified importer. When filing the month following a purchase, you are exposed to a summary offense ($100 to $1000 fine plus costs) for possession of a tobacco product where the tax has not been paid. The only way to be in the clear: submit the tax after making an out-of-state purchase, but before receiving the shipment.
Uw1eWFW.gif

Mrmik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2014
Ellicott City, MD, USA
I was reading the bill again and there is a bit of a catch 22 in regards to filing a purchase as an unclassified importer. When filing the month following a purchase, you are exposed to a summary offense ($100 to $1000 fine plus costs) for possession of a tobacco product where the tax has not been paid. The only way to be in the clear: submit the tax after making an out-of-state purchase, but before receiving the shipment.

That's where the money will come from..... FINES!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's where the money will come from..... FINES!

Yeah... And when the Administration and Enforcement Costs are more then the fines Collected, they can just dream up another Crazy Tax to put on People.

BTW - Isn't this the State that has some Bell with the words "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All the Inhabitants thereof." on it?

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Yeah... And when the Administration and Enforcement Costs are more then the fines Collected, they can just dream up another Crazy Tax to put on People.

BTW - Isn't this the State that has some Bell with the words "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All the Inhabitants thereof." on it?

Yeah, I guess the meaning has been lost over the years. :(

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

We Definitely Need more Glimmers.

From the Article you linked to....

"Sen. Camera Bartolotta’s bill will be similar to a house bill (HB 2342) introduced by Rep. Jeff Wheeland. Both efforts would replace the floor tax and the ongoing 40 percent wholesale tax with a five-cents-per-milliliter tax on all e-liquids."

Regular Session 2015-2016 House Bill 2342 P.N. 3860

and...

"Pennsylvania vapers are also holding a rally at the state capitol in Harrisburg on September 26, 1:00 p.m. at the main rotunda. This is a great chance to show that vapers care about protecting the small businesses that help us all!"

blueish

Jan 8, 2013
us
Sent my first check in last week. Didnt realize they are charging sales tax on the vapor tax. So, if you make a $100 purchase, you owe 40% of $100 for the vapor tax. Then you also owe 6% of $140 for sales tax. Cheaper than cigs, I'll pay it. Just wish they'd realize that we're vaping to be healthier and not penalize us for it. Almost 4 years cig free now because of vaping...

Reactions: gnees

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sent my first check in last week. Didnt realize they are charging sales tax on the vapor tax. So, if you make a $100 purchase, you owe 40% of $100 for the vapor tax. Then you also owe 6% of $140 for sales tax. Cheaper than cigs, I'll pay it. Just wish they'd realize that we're vaping to be healthier and not penalize us for it. Almost 4 years cig free now because of vaping...
"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law."
-- Frédéric Bastiat

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
What about mail order by internet? For example, I order from a company based in Arizona. I can't get e-juice due to Canada still not allowing nicotine imports, but that is Customs Canada.. I can order all I want within the country, from Canadian based vendors, just not from the US or overseas. Kidney Puncher offers free shipping over $75.00 I believe. You may still have to pay the sales tax, but I doubt they add the "floor" tax, since they don't have that in Arizona. I'll probably start ordering my DIY flavors from there when I order my wire. LOL God knows, I need more.. only have 800 feet of wire now. LOL. Need some 22ga though.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I don't know how it works if a PA vendor sells to someone out of the state. We have to report purchases we make from out of state vendors and pay the taxes on that. There's a pretty hefty penalty if we don't report.
Yeah, but who actually bothers doing it? That's one of those laws that it costs more to enforce than the revenue it would bring in. Can you imagine what a judge would say if the prosecutor had someone in court over $5 in sales tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread