So your bank has told you your card is compromised

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have McAfee right now but thinking about using Kasperkey free version, is it a better anti virus program?
Glad you asked this, I'm curious as well.
We use Microsoft Security Essentials here at home.
Years ago, we used a higher tier version of Norton.
Where I work, they use McAfee, and I haven't been impressed (at all), at least not for what it charges, and for what seems to slip through, but in all fairness, it's no telling what some are clicking on/opening.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
On the rare occasion I need to be in Windows, I like Bitdefender. It's very good and unobtrusive. McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc. Nope. Not on my machines. Especially AVG. They're selling your info to third parties now.

Ransomware is a whole different ballgame and most often relies on social engineering to deliver the payload to the machine. There are just too many users who will blindly click on an attachment without verifying the email's authenticity.

At least once a week, we get tickets via email with malicious payloads. Usually in the form of fake shipping manifests. This is a common route that criminals will take to deliver malicious payloads. And far too often, it works. Especially if the company deals with shipping companies on a regular basis.

It doesn't take much to figure out if an email is legitimate or not (just read the email headers). Forged headers are easily detected.

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
And that is most likely what could be happening where I work.
The owner, our boss is the worst offender. We've tried to threaten him within an inch of his life, NOT to open ANYTHING (almost) without asking.
ESPECIALLY NOT A ZIP FILE!!! :facepalm:
I work for a John Deere dealership, so yeah, LOADS of attached files coming and going.

I try to always remember to either check, or at least, hover over the email addy to look for any forged headers.
Although, I couldn't have come up with the proper terminology for what they are, (forged headers) but I can sure spot one easy enough. :)

Reactions: gerrymi

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
Ransomware is a whole different ballgame and most often relies on social engineering to deliver the payload to the machine. There are just too many users who will blindly click on an attachment without verifying the email's authenticity.

R1...what are your thoughts on using an Anti-ransomware program...

Considering the havoc ransomware can cause...$6.73/year seems like a pretty small price to pay???

Get a 3-user WinAntiRansom license for $8.98

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Considering Apply Pay is unique to Apple devices only, don't get your hopes up that it will be widely adopted anytime soon. Most sites are going to shell out the fees for a solution that's usable "cross platform" rather than catering to a specific subsection of mobile users.

Reactions: Rossum

Mice Elf

Verified Member
Oct 26, 2016
People's Republic of California
Considering Apply Pay is unique to Apple devices only, don't get your hopes up that it will be widely adopted anytime soon. Most sites are going to shell out the fees for a solution that's usable "cross platform" rather than catering to a specific subsection of mobile users.
Right, but there are no merchant costs to using ApplePay.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomware

I gave this a test run for about 2 months. It drove Malwarebytes positively nuts and I wasn't too impressed with the program's insistence on writing files all over the hard drive (including the desktop which I absolutely despise).

However, it does seem to be a pretty decent program and the price is right (free).

So.. For those of you that tend to blindly click on things before you check it out, this may be a decent protection against ransomware.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
For those of you that tend to blindly click on things before you check it out
90urxb8.jpg

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Windows Security Essentials (free) stopped some ransomware on Vista for me a couple months ago. Watch out for odd matches to your search terms that go to a page with nothing but a download on it. They're putting in terms like model numbers that you wouldn't think anyone would bother with.

I thought they took McAfee's name off of Intel antivirus. He said he was relieved, while McAfee was the first, he said by then it was the worst.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread