Not open for further replies.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Can't help with why you may be getting this, but all I can say is that I have recently switched from pads to bacon v2 and I won't be going back. Tastes better IMO and has no break in. Great stuff.
idk... my kogendo pads came finally from Amazon & I can now actually vape something other than flannel shirt.
Guess I'll just try not to run out from now on.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I should have known though, I have a few freinds that use this stuff and whenever I try their setups the flavor is always muted compared to mine... I guess I thought maybe they couldn't build for crap, [emoji38]

The pads have their own technique & take longer to prepare but the payoff is worth it. Also (to me at least) they're simpler to use. Just cut your peice, pull the top & bottom off, stretch the soft part out & roll it.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Cotton Bacon, meh not impressed, I love Koh gen Do. My favorite B&M they provide free Cotton Bacon if you wick there and will only use it if for some reason I don't have any Koh gen Do with me.

Wick material is very subjective, just use what works best for you but don't be afraid to try various wicking material.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Taste is subjective, true, but I did a quick experiment the other day to see how fast each one soaked up a 1ml puddle of 70/30 juice (yeah whatevs, I still have a bunch of this left that's not going to get used).

Anyways it looks like the kogendo is soaking up the juice at least twice as fast. Though the cotton bacon does seem to hold more juice, but that could account for the muted flavor, if the wicking isn't keeping up.

After that little experiment I think I'd like to try rayon, but I've never really looked into it, I have a freind who uses it, tastes clean enough and he says it wicks faster than any cotton.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
It's funny but Cotton Bacon is all I use these days because it produces great flavor and no break in period. For some odd reason and I know it's probably me I can taste the KGD for a while after wicking.

I had the same experience with Rayon.
Same here. The bacon might be harder to judge amount but I don't taste the cotton for a while like I do with KGD

Reactions: AstroTurf

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I don't get cotton taste with kogendo like I did with cotton bacon, maybe on like the first few hits or while I'm still ramping up the temp, but it's gone in 5 mins max. I can live w/ that.

One thing I learned when cotton first came around as a wicking material, always wash your hands before touching it. Otherwise it will permanently taste like skin flakes or whatever filth is on your hands.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I don't get cotton taste with kogendo like I did with cotton bacon, maybe on like the first few hits or while I'm still ramping up the temp, but it's gone in 5 mins max. I can live w/ that.

One thing I learned when cotton first came around as a wicking material, always wash your hands before touching it. Otherwise it will permanently taste like skin flakes or whatever filth is on your hands.
yep, I actually have dish soap that is unscented cause I hate the residue from the perfume that dish soap leaves on my dishes. So when ever I wick I wash my hands with that before I touch my cotton.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
well according to vaping biker and phil b... JC wicks faster than rayon and they made the videos which ended up proving it.
No, flawed testing in Phil's video. As vapers our interest is not how quickly it initially soaks up the juice, but how quickly it transfers the juice when wet. Rayon seems to do a better job at the latter, though I know of no tests that have proven it.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
No, flawed testing in Phil's video. As vapers our interest is not how quickly it initially soaks up the juice, but how quickly it transfers the juice when wet. Rayon seems to do a better job at the latter, though I know of no tests that have proven it.
Actually from what I have found is Rayon does not "soak" up and retain the juice like JC, it does though flow the juice a bit better initially. This is from what I believe to be straighter fibers right out of the package rather than Cotton Pads like Koh gen Do. What I do though is Scottish Roll then after running through my coils I run my pick through the tails to straighten out the fibers. This greatly helps the flow of the juice and Koh gen Do flows as well as Rayon but also has the properties to "soak" up and retain the juice better than Rayon.

That's my two bits for what it's worth.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Actually from what I have found is Rayon does not "soak" up and retain the juice like JC, it does though flow the juice a bit better initially. This is from what I believe to be straighter fibers right out of the package rather than Cotton Pads like Koh gen Do. What I do though is Scottish Roll then after running through my coils I run my pick through the tails to straighten out the fibers. This greatly helps the flow of the juice and Koh gen Do flows as well as Rayon but also has the properties to "soak" up and retain the juice better than Rayon.

That's my two bits for what it's worth.
As a squonker I have no use for a wick holding juice, in fact I want it not to. But for drippers I can see that being beneficial. I just want fresh squozen juice on demand and quick capillary action. Rayon destroys cotton in every way for me.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
As a squonker I have no use for a wick holding juice, in fact I want it not to. But for drippers I can see that being beneficial. I just want fresh squozen juice on demand and quick capillary action. Rayon destroys cotton in every way for me.
Personally I don't like the taste nor the type of hit I get off of Rayon, Koh gen Do works perfect for me.

Bottom line is be open for all different types of wicking and give each one a good try then make the choice that works best for you.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Personally I don't like the taste nor the type of hit I get off of Rayon, Koh gen Do works perfect for me.

Bottom line is be open for all different types of wicking and give each one a good try then make the choice that works best for you.
Yep, curious people should give everything a chance. I get zero taste from rayon, better flavor and stronger nic hit than any cotton out there. I'd only know that if I had tried them all.

Same for wires, too :)

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Yep, curious people should give everything a chance. I get zero taste from rayon, better flavor and stronger nic hit than any cotton out there. I'd only know that if I had tried them all.

Same for wires, too :)
Did you ever try vaping those cellucotton Kotex tampons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread