Limitless RDTA Plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
Really? They set up preheat for power but not TC mode? That's pretty bizarre. Not that it's bad for wattage users, but it's a big plus for us TC folks.

Yes! The smok Alien should have had it!!! Will try the Artic firmware for my Pico, but cannot fit the Limitless on that! A dna mod is on my bucket list. :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes! The Smok Alien should have had it!!! Will try the Artic firmware for my Pico, but cannot fit the Limitless on that! A DNA mod is on my bucket list. :)

If you're into Temp Control, and you're into tinkering with software, the DNA mods are terrific. I have several, and not one has let me down.

The Alien does give you an option in wattage mode for "soft, normal, hard" with "hard" essentially being a nonadjustable preheat.

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
If you're into Temp Control, and you're into tinkering with software, the DNA mods are terrific. I have several, and not one has let me down.

The Alien does give you an option in wattage mode for "soft, normal, hard" with "hard" essentially being a nonadjustable preheat.

Yes, I do like to tinker. :) Very very temping to order a DNA mod that one can adjust the preheat on in TC mode. Hcigar VT133 looks nice!

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar

As it is, I'm almost fully Evolved.....6 DNAs and one SX Mini Q class (which I use on occasion). I run almost everything in TC with Ti, Nife52 and various Stainless wire types.
I always start off with power mode with new attys to find their limitations, as with this modded L+. Once I know the full capability of the atty and have a solid idea of where my power setting needs to be I switch over to TC and never look back.
I was running this L+ in TC before the air bleed mod but was getting varying degrees of performance dependent on how perfect I thinned the wicktails. Even then it never ran consistently at high enough power to match the enormous atty chamber. Not any more. It doesn't seem to care now if I overstuff the wick channels or not. It just rocks like a bottomless rda.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I have an Ijoy Maxo which you can put into User Mode and set the wattage for each 2second increment with 6 increments, it's real nice

Checked it out slippy, that's one beastly mod. Nice that you can customize your preheat and appearance with those leather stickers.
Any firmare discussions yet on adding adjustable tcr?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes, I do like to tinker. :) Very very temping to order a DNA mod that one can adjust the preheat on in TC mode. Hcigar VT133 looks nice!

If you like to tinker, and will use TC (let's face it, some vapers just don't like or use it, which is fine if your setup works for you) it's tough to beat the DNA series. The VT133 has a good reputation. My DNA 200 mods are from Lost Vape, but I do have a VT75 that's a nice little single battery mod (the DNA 75 doesn't get as much love as it's larger relative, but I like it and it's fine with 316L, which is all I care about). YiHi is a solid choice as well for TC performance.

As it is, I'm almost fully Evolved.....6 DNAs and one SX Mini Q class (which I use on occasion). I run almost everything in TC with Ti, Nife52 and various Stainless wire types.
I always start off with power mode with new attys to find their limitations, as with this modded L+. Once I know the full capability of the atty and have a solid idea of where my power setting needs to be I switch over to TC and never look back.
I was running this L+ in TC before the air bleed mod but was getting varying degrees of performance dependent on how perfect I thinned the wicktails. Even then it never ran consistently at high enough power to match the enormous atty chamber. Not any more. It doesn't seem to care now if I overstuff the wick channels or not. It just rocks like a bottomless rda.

What I found interesting was how much more I appreciated this RDTA once I set it up with its own profile and went to TC. Completely different experience. Before it was OK, but still felt like a novelty. In TC it's a contender for an ADV. The air bleed mod is a nice idea. I don't mind fiddling with the wicking to make sure I have a little air space at the periphery of the wick, but I'd probably use a touch more wick with those holes in place. I still have my wicks only to the top of the glass, as I figure I've got to tilt the mod and tank to get to my mouth anyway, so they'll get wet no matter what.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
the preheat for these devices only work in wattage mode, not tc mode. I think the nfetoolbox w/ arctic fox firmware has a preheat method in tc mode but do not quote me on that as I quickly gave up testing that firmware after a short try and went back to the wismec firmware on my rx mod.
Simply increasing the wattage will work. In my opinion preheat is really only a benefit in vw mode as increasing the watts already does the same. The Arctic Fox firmware has preheat in tc though.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
If you like to tinker, and will use TC (let's face it, some vapers just don't like or use it, which is fine if your setup works for you) it's tough to beat the DNA series. The VT133 has a good reputation. My DNA 200 mods are from Lost Vape, but I do have a VT75 that's a nice little single battery mod (the DNA 75 doesn't get as much love as it's larger relative, but I like it and it's fine with 316L, which is all I care about). YiHi is a solid choice as well for TC performance.

What I found interesting was how much more I appreciated this RDTA once I set it up with its own profile and went to TC. Completely different experience. Before it was OK, but still felt like a novelty. In TC it's a contender for an ADV. The air bleed mod is a nice idea. I don't mind fiddling with the wicking to make sure I have a little air space at the periphery of the wick, but I'd probably use a touch more wick with those holes in place. I still have my wicks only to the top of the glass, as I figure I've got to tilt the mod and tank to get to my mouth anyway, so they'll get wet no matter what.

Same experience here @Eskie. Worked much better in TC especially if I kept an air passage hole open next to a wicktail. Sometimes that hole would close up too much causing reduced vapor/flavor and I'd find myself fiddling again. We all have different levels of tolerance. For me it's set it and forget it.
You're right about the short wicktails too. I think a lot of people don't try rdtas because they think they'll have to tilt their mod up really high while vaping to keep from dryhitting. Simply not true. Even in power mode I don't notice any lack of juice flow until the tank is near empty.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've never had a dry hit on it regardless of mode. And TBH, TC for me isn't about avoiding dry hits (not that I like them, but I'm pretty good by now to avoid them short of doing something stupid) but for the smooth consistency of the vape. I'm also one of those warm vape people, a hot vape is just unpleasant. Which is a nice bonus even with low ohm setups as I never ramp them up all the way. If I hadn't gone with TC on it, I'm sure it would be in the back of the drawer. Well, that and a beefier coil. That big chamber just can't deliver flavor without it. Simple wrapped coils gave me good cloud and a solid nic hit, but the flavor was lacking. Now I've got both.

Reactions: SLM

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Simply increasing the wattage will work. In my opinion preheat is really only a benefit in vw mode as increasing the watts already does the same. The Arctic Fox firmware has preheat in tc though.

I had a few mods that would temp overrun if I turned up the power a little too much to get speedy ramp up. Most mods today are faster and more accurate than those but even my DNAs would sometimes overtemp momentarily with high preheat and punch settings. I've since stopped using preheat at all in TC with my DNAs but not because of temp overruns on one given atty; but because I switch attys a lot. I may run a 35w single coil Ti build one day on a particular dna and run a 110w dual Ti build on the same mod the next day. My preheat and punch settings would be way different for those two examples and I don't care to open escribe on a daily basis.
I wish the latest dna fw update had offered preheat and punch settings on the mod instead of material choice. Just me whining.:rolleyes:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I had a few mods that would temp overrun if I turned up the power a little too much to get speedy ramp up. Most mods today are faster and more accurate than those but even my DNAs would sometimes overtemp momentarily with high preheat and punch settings. I've since stopped using preheat at all in TC with my DNAs but not because of temp overruns on one given atty; but because I switch attys a lot. I may run a 35w single coil Ti build one day on a particular dna and run a 110w dual Ti build on the same mod the next day. My preheat and punch settings would be way different for those two examples and I don't care to open escribe on a daily basis.
I wish the latest dna fw update had offered preheat and punch settings on the mod instead of material choice. Just me whining.:rolleyes:
I've been planning to change the presets on my Reuleaux DNA200 so that it'll accomodate different preheat needs (as different materials really needn't be programmed anymore, and I anyway pretty much only use ss316 nowadays) but can't seem to get to it :)

Roadtrip635

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Texas
I have a VT133 and love it. They have a pretty big fan club on this forum and others that can't be mentioned....lol Great mod and well built.

It may be tougher to find as they are being replaced by the VT167 and look very similar. FT had a good deal on them with their New Year's code, brought the price to about $75

Here's my VT133 with a Limitless Plus v1

v1_zpstd0qxmi7.jpg

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Checked it out slippy, that's one beastly mod. Nice that you can customize your preheat and appearance with those leather stickers.
Any firmare discussions yet on adding adjustable tcr?

I only bought it bc of the longer run time lol vaping at 315w watts isn't my thing anymore, i normally just poodle along at somewhere between 70-120w.
It has TCR for NI, TI & SS, i did the firmware upgrade the other day and now its showing two other settings, TCRM1 & TCRM2, i'm unsure what these new setting's do, haven't really enjoyed vaping TC myself, im more a short hit kind of guy :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I only bought it bc of the longer run time lol vaping at 315w watts isn't my thing anymore, i normally just poodle along at somewhere between 70-120w.
It has TCR for NI, TI & SS, i did the firmware upgrade the other day and now its showing two other settings, TCRM1 & TCRM2, i'm unsure what these new setting's do, haven't really enjoyed vaping TC myself, im more a short hit kind of guy :)
Those are memory banks for user set tcr values, meaning that you can use other wire than those the mod is preset for.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Finally got mine in. Love the SS finish (no paint) Running claptons 5 wraps 3mm ID o.32 ohm @65watts. snug Japanese cotton with the tails combed out slightly. trimmed right at the top of the glass. Wicking just fine. I did not wet the wicks until I had the base ring screwed on. Took a small tool and poked it in the edge of each wick hole and she is wicking like a champ (bubbles). No leaks, really rich and thick cloud, excellent flavor. Excellent.
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread