Augvape Merlin Mini By Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
Have had my merlin mini for a couple of days now. Nice tank, really enjoying it [emoji106]

I've only tried the sticks coil deck for now. First build was a 26g 3mm spaced 316L. It vaped well but I wanted a more dense vape. Seems like rebuilding with a 3.5mm did the trick (0.7ohm).

No dry hits, but I still get a bit of leaking sometimes. I think I just have to tweak my wicking method.

Overall very happy with it. Next on the list is an obs engine and probably an asmodus v2 (raw).

ffa7255f1d4d5aa137508fb49f23d3d3.jpg

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
So I decided to buy the merlin mini as a replacement for my serpent mini(s).

Although I think the serpent mini is a v good tank, I wasn't a fan of the restricted air flow. I like DL hits, MTL doesn't really hit the spot for me. I find that on the serpent mini a satisfying puff is only achieved with a long, drawn out inhale, using temp control to ensure that it doesn't end with a burnt finale.

I had been undecided as to whether to buy a serpent mini 25 or a UD Gv3 cos of concerns that they'd both have the same restrictive airflow (even though I hear that the serpent mini 25 has increased airflow?).

When I read reviews about the MM and its removable restrictor, I figured I'd give it a shot. And so far so good. I find the airholes are a bit noisy, but that doesn't bother me.

Its only been 3 days since receiving it, so I'm still working out my perfect wicking technique for it (almost there).
Q: do u guys cut the end of ur wicks into tails?

The only problem I have with this tank is that it's 24mm. Which means bigger mods. I don't mind that when I'm chillin' at home or at a friend's etc, but when out at like a bar or club and in many other situations, I do like having a discrete and easy to slip into my pocket 22mm tank on like a target mini, nugget mod or even an evic vtc mini. Carrying around a 'mini' setup like that, along with some extra juice in a unicorn bottle keeps me going all night - but let's not talk about battery life of a target mini and how u might need to actually take 2 (or 3!) of them out with u to last a big night!

So in summary, for me, the merlin mini is a fantastic tank for home use. Not so much for going out. For that, I'm still on the hunt for a 22mm single coil tank that beats the serpent mini. Merlin nano???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
The only problem I have with this tank is that it's 24mm. Which means bigger mods. I don't mind that when I'm chillin' at home or at a friend's etc, but when out at like a bar or club and in many other situations, I do like having a discrete and easy to slip into my pocket 22mm tank on like a target mini, nugget mod or even an evic vtc mini. Carrying around a 'mini' setup like that, along with some extra juice in a unicorn bottle keeps me going all night - but let's not talk about battery life of a target mini and how u might need to actually take 2 (or 3!) of them out with u to last a big night!

So in summary, for me, the merlin mini is a fantastic tank for home use. Not so much for going out. For that, I'm still on the hunt for a 22mm single coil tank that beats the serpent mini. Merlin nano???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

For $20 it does not get much more pocketable..
Tesla Stealth 40W Mod
VchuOBX.jpg

sqIcd08.jpg

Last edited:

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
I want a Asmodus Minikin v2 too :thumbs:

Just want to warn those with the Merlin Mini that are considering the Minikin v2...I find that with the Merlin Mini on it the resistance will jump in very odd ways. I have a 0.7 coil in my Merlin Mini and with it on the Minikin v2 it will all of a sudden jump to reading it as 1.8 or 1.4...just jumps! I think the 510 on the two are not very compatible. Other attys have a little longer and more protruding center pin and are totally stable on the Minikin. The Merlin Mini stays stable on all my other mods. Something about the two together is wonky. Not sure which is to blame, although both work fine ... just not together. This did not start until about a week of using them together and switching other attys onto the Minikin v2. Then one day I am vaping along with the Merlin Mini on it and ... wham!!! resistance jumped and went from 0.7 to 1.8 at 50 watts...man, that was a hot hit! There was no loose connection on the post or touching of anything on the deck...coil was nice and tight with plenty of clearance. The Merlin mini stays totally stable on my RX200 (but looks odd, so small on it) and works great on my Fuchai 213. And others.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Just want to warn those with the Merlin Mini that are considering the Minikin v2...I find that with the Merlin Mini on it the resistance will jump in very odd ways. I have a 0.7 coil in my Merlin Mini and with it on the Minikin v2 it will all of a sudden jump to reading it as 1.8 or 1.4...just jumps! I think the 510 on the two are not very compatible. Other attys have a little longer and more protruding center pin and are totally stable on the Minikin. The Merlin Mini stays stable on all my other mods. Something about the two together is wonky. Not sure which is to blame, although both work fine ... just not together. This did not start until about a week of using them together and switching other attys onto the Minikin v2. Then one day I am vaping along with the Merlin Mini on it and ... wham!!! resistance jumped and went from 0.7 to 1.8 at 50 watts...man, that was a hot hit! There was no loose connection on the post or touching of anything on the deck...coil was nice and tight with plenty of clearance. The Merlin mini stays totally stable on my RX200 (but looks odd, so small on it) and works great on my Fuchai 213. And others.
Thanks for the tip! Hmmm, strange isn't it?

Raizo III

Jan 14, 2017

Thanks for the tip! Hmmm, strange isn't it?

Its happened on my minikin v2 also, with attys that have short pins. Fix would be screwing the atty just a little more, as in tightening it unto the mod. Resistance should stabilize. Havent had a problem since.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
Its happened on my minikin v2 also, with attys that have short pins. Fix would be screwing the atty just a little more, as in tightening it unto the mod. Resistance should stabilize. Havent had a problem since.

That worked. Tighter, but really a little tighter than I like to put my attys onto my mods. But it does work. Thanks for the info Raizo!

Reactions: Raizo III

irisev

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2015
I've solved my wicking 'issue'.

Since I got this tank, I've been trying to get it to vape in a specific manner - ie single coil, lots of vapour and ofcourse good flavour.

I started out with single a 3.0mm ID coil, and took out the airflow restrictor. The vapour it produced was just too lean for me.
So I thought maybe a bigger coil (3.5mm) would do the trick. This configuration works for the first few pulls on a freshly filled tank, then again the vapour production would just wither down. Found it to be pretty unsatisfying. I kept on having to open the top fill mid tank, watch it bubble away as the liquid would fully saturate the wick, close it up again then carry on vaping. Again for the next 2 or 3 hits, great vapour/flavour, then it'd whither away again [emoji35]

I figured that the issue was down to me not wicking the thing properly. So I tried everything I could think of or that I read about to improve the wicking. But the wick just wouldn't absorb enough juice for that sweet spot hit.

Today I conceded and thought I'd give the dual deck a try instead.

And now I conclude (from my experience) .. This tank in single coil mode is just not designed to chuck dense clouds with no air restriction. Ie for me, single coil mode is more matched to restricted airflow / MTL mode.

For unrestricted mode, it's got to be the dual coil deck. Kinda makes sense though, the dual coil deck provides for a significantly increased amount of wicking hole area (4 as opposed to 2)...

Now I'm loving it!

I guess it turns out that there isn't any issue with my tank, which for the past few days I though there was. Rather I was trying to get it to do something that it's not designed to do!

I haven't yet tried a single coil with the air restrictor - wondering how that would compare with my good ol serpent mini...

So, I'm still on the hunt for a single coil, cloud chucking, flavour machine. That'll have to wait a few weeks though - I've got an Obs engine on order...

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

Since I got this tank, I've been trying to get it to vape in a specific manner - ie single coil, lots of vapour and ofcourse good flavour.

I started out with single a 3.0mm ID coil, and took out the airflow restrictor. The vapour it produced was just too lean for me.
So I thought maybe a bigger coil (3.5mm) would do the trick. This configuration works for the first few pulls on a freshly filled tank, then again the vapour production would just wither down. Found it to be pretty unsatisfying. I kept on having to open the top fill mid tank, watch it bubble away as the liquid would fully saturate the wick, close it up again then carry on vaping. Again for the next 2 or 3 hits, great vapour/flavour, then it'd whither away again [emoji35]

I figured that the issue was down to me not wicking the thing properly. So I tried everything I could think of or that I read about to improve the wicking. But the wick just wouldn't absorb enough juice for that sweet spot hit.

And now I conclude (from my experience) .. This tank in single coil mode is just not designed to chuck dense clouds with no air restriction. Ie for me, single coil mode is more matched to restricted airflow / MTL mode.

For unrestricted mode, it's got to be the dual coil deck. Kinda makes sense though, the dual coil deck provides for a significantly increased amount of wicking hole area (4 as opposed to 2)...

Now I'm loving it!

I guess it turns out that there isn't any issue with my tank, which for the past few days I though there was. Rather I was trying to get it to do something that it's not designed to do!

I haven't yet tried a single coil with the air restrictor - wondering how that would compare with my good ol serpent mini...

So, I'm still on the hunt for a single coil, cloud chucking, flavour machine. That'll have to wait a few weeks though - I've got an Obs engine on order...

I can't speak for "cloud chucking", but for me, with NO restrictor, and the airflow only open a little, I get a ton of vapor. I was thinking of trying the large resistor just so I could open the airflow ring a bit. This tank, so far is my BEST single coil tank. Goes to show you, tastes are different.

OOPS, I thought I was in the Merlin MINI thread, but my observations are about the same. I like all the improvements of the Mini over the larger sized version. I don't mind the smaller eliquid tank, as I change flavors a lot. My regular sized Merlins have been shelved, for the Mini.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016

Now I'm loving it!

There are lot of better dual-coils tank out there in the market, e.g. the Obs enine. I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to buy this Merlin mini for its dual-coils
deck.
In my case, even under the single-coil mode, I am tire of frequent refill because of its small capacity tank. I am waiting for my Ijoy Exo to arrive (which comes with extended tank) and will shelve this Merlin mini by then.

Reactions: Heartsdelight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread