Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Employment is an exchange. A commercial transaction. You don't sign away your personal liberties at the door when you contract for employment. Establishing an equivalency of smoking to vaping in any environment is a dangerous precedent. The more we capitulate to such unilateral restriction the more that stigmatization and required abstinence become the norm. What were the terms and rules of employment to begin with?

As for the suddenly some clouds are objectionable — When is a cloud too big? Such a criteria in the workplace sounds like the convenient excuse for dismissal by someone too shallow or two-faced to admit their agenda. Who wants to work in a place where you're second-guessing the staff's impression of your vape trail? What an invitation to the co-worker with a grudge or an attitude. Back to being low class smokers at the mercy of our less tolerant peers. The lowest common denominator. Keep the resume handy.

The workplace is where we spend a significant part of our lives. It's a sacred place for the individual to pursue survival and build social acceptance. Conditions that arbitrarily limit this compromise both.

While I'd agree that prudent restraint is a good strategy for promoting good will...it is anti-social to compel it. Can we truly control social behavior in the workplace? Arguably not without prejudice to constrain one and not all.

Good luck all. :)

Oort

Aug 2, 2017
If it goes in somebody's face and they breathe it in or something, sure, I understand getting upset about that. But somebody getting worked up just because they witnessed a cloud is a little strange. Regardless how big it is. That's like dogs getting excited at a noise or something, it's kind of comical in a way.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
If it goes in somebody's face and they breathe it in or something, sure, I understand getting upset about that. But somebody getting worked up just because they witnessed a cloud is a little strange. Regardless how big it is. That's like dogs getting excited at a noise or something, it's kind of comical in a way.

Restraint might be an appropriate solution or remedy in our case if to do so was not so hazardous to our health. Where is the balance of interests when there is no proof of injury?

Good luck to us all. :)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I don't blow big clouds, but do tend to check myself if kids around. I try to extend the same courtesies I used when smoking cigarettes.

Exactly. About one of the most heart wrenching frustrating inferences is to be considered worse than a smoker. Most of us were courteous to those around us. That is and has always been the custom and norm. Why would we then be anything different or less as vapers?

Good luck to all. :)

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
Massive cloud chucker here, I've been vaping 200+ watts for four years. It gets old. Everywhere you go people stare at you. I can't even vape in front of my freaking house anymore because these 16 year old twirps know how I vape and keep trying to get me to share and stuff. Being a walking fog machine gets pretty old.

Lord_Mayhem

Aug 1, 2017
I try to be discrete about it even though I haven't had any complaints. I vape at work and no one complains, in fact, they're proud of me quitting. Trying to hide smoking is impossible because of the smell, I realize that now. As for vaping, once the vapor is gone, hardly anyone can tell that you vaped.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Im 25 and pretty much like OP i do a tfv8 big baby but that's because mtl setups didnt quite satisfy me enough. I don't go and blow vapor in people's face but here in quebec we are forced to vape with the smokers so i just find a nice quiet spot near and vape away if people aren't happy i usually tell them i'm not happy them smoking near me since it stinks hardcore they usually say something stupid or just don't say anything and move on :p

I do get alot of funny looks on the streets though.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I love it when a worthy thread gets revived!

You'd think that people would be glad that we found a substitute for smoking. For some in fthe ANTZ crowd we just found a way to prolong their agony. If it looks like a Dog and walks like a Dog, it must be a Dog. The difference is that the new Dog blows bigger clouds than the original Dog.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
First, I'm only in it for the nicotine. I vape 65 mg/ml* in 68/32 PG/VG totally unflavored. I don't care whether I can make clouds; I like just enough vapor visible to keep track of my rig's performance (battery getting low or wick getting a bit dry).

I routinely vape in places where it is discouraged or even not allowed by law or regulation.** I carry a small towel tucked into my belt and when I am indoors or with a group, I exhale into the folded towel - no visible vapor whatsoever. I have found that it is not the putting the rig to my mouth, but the visible vapor (big cloud or just a whiff) that causes some other patron across the room to complain to the management (and get vaping banned).

============
* Six years ago I was smoking 4 PPD of Pall Mall straights. I used to take a quick hit to get the coal glowing and then a long inhale and hold it until there was no more smoke. Plus most of a can of snus per day. Believe me, I need the 65. I vaped 100 (yes, 10% nicotine) for a week or so, but it is tricky to avoid over-puffing and getting nic-sick at that level.

** If it is not allowed by the proprietor, I don't vape there by simply never going there again, and I tell the proprietor why I will never be back to that establishment until things change. This has only happened to me a few times.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
...If it is not allowed by the proprietor, I don't vape there by simply never going there again, and I tell the proprietor why I will never be back to that establishment until things change. This has only happened to me a few times.

Silence is consent. But to do nothing in our circumstances is tantamount to being advocates for the opposition. An indifference to the promulgated hysteria towards vaping can only ensure its persistence.

Good luck. :)

synergis7

Quitter
Jul 13, 2012
USA
First, I'm only in it for the nicotine. I vape 65 mg/ml* in 68/32 PG/VG totally unflavored. I don't care whether I can make clouds; I like just enough vapor visible to keep track of my rig's performance (battery getting low or wick getting a bit dry).

I vape to not smoke, so I'm in it for the nicotine as well.

I did give sub-Ohm direct to lung an honest try, and agree with OP that big fluffy clouds are especially satisfying, but high-nic tiny clouds keeps me satisfied in more situations. Much easier to stealth vape indeed.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I vape to not smoke, so I'm in it for the nicotine as well…I did give sub-Ohm direct to lung an honest try, and agree with OP that big fluffy clouds are especially satisfying, but high-nic tiny clouds keeps me satisfied in more situations.

I vape to enjoy the shared experience. Just like I did when I smoked.

…Much easier to stealth vape indeed.

But I swore off hiding and smoking at the same time. The former is far too much like skulking for me to enjoy the vape which replaced them.

p.s. Still enjoy the nic! :D

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
No complaints yet, just read a lot about it mostly here in these forums. I get some funny looks and I really don't blow ridiculous clouds either , not out running max vg with a crazy build just for the sake of clouds. They are probably verging on mid range from what I've seen cloud wise. Just reading through here got me thinking about it and I almost got a bit self conscious about it . Not really even sure why I posted this , other than just to re affirm that if I'm not blowing it near you and you look at me funny I'm not gonna run out and buy a lame set up to satisfy John q public. Like I said I'm not obnoxious about it so I don't expect a complaint but I'm not gonna change how I vape just cause I'm in public. That being said I don't vape in front of stores , or in parking lots or really anywhere people roam in herds as I don't care to be a smudge on the vaping community in general. I'm totally reasonable and respect people's space and their right not to have clouds in their face. But honestly if I'm ouside and somebody does approach me to ask me not to vape they will not be happy with the response since after all they would have to go out of their way to approach me about it.

Just to point out, there is nothing at all to be self conscious about. I'm certainly not, heck I was a smoker. Now I vape... it smells better, a mod is prettier than a cigarette and it got me off the smokes.

I use vaping in public as a public service announcement - vaping works!

synergis7

Quitter
Jul 13, 2012
USA
I vape to enjoy the shared experience. Just like I did when I smoked.

For me, it's been something I gotta do since I started doing it. I've certainly had many great conversations over a smoke (and a vape!), but the monkey on my back is noisy and irrational.

But I swore off hiding and smoking at the same time. The former is far too much like skulking for me to enjoy the vape which replaced them.

Better man than me, and thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread