What's the difference between these 2 flavorings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
They're both sweeteners, I'm wondering what the difference is
4752d78a21da4bc7296e715d1fcb437d.jpg

Reactions: akuser47

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
They're both sweeteners. TFA Sweetener is a 10% sucralose (Splenda) solution, which can form crystals in low temperature (warm it to re-dissolve), and can gunk your coils if used at higher percentages. Ethyl Maltol produces a cotton candy flavor at higher percentages, but can sweeten and "round out" recipes at the lower end. If used for sweetness above 1.5%, it can really mute the other flavors.

I sometimes use these in combination (generally 0.5% each), but I find that many--even most--recipes don't require additional sweetening for me.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
They're both sweeteners. TFA Sweetener is a 10% sucralose (Splenda) solution, which can form crystals in low temperature (warm it to re-dissolve), and can gunk your coils if used at higher percentages. Ethyl Maltol produces a cotton candy flavor at higher percentages, but can sweeten and "round out" recipes at the lower end. If used for sweetness above 1.5%, it can really mute the other flavors.

I sometimes use these in combination (generally 0.5% each), but I find that many--even most--recipes don't require additional sweetening for me.

Thanks so much for the explanation!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Ethyl Malto is not really a sweetener malto is used more as a mask to meld and blend flavors and not have one flavor stand out over the other. It gives the effect of sweetness by enhancing the sweetness of an already sweet flavor but does not actually sweeten. It also adds thickness and body to a vape.
If its actual sweetness you want use sweetener such as sucralose or Splenda and not EM, EM can actually mute flavor. In either case use no more then 1 - 1.5% and taste before sweetening as you will find most sweet flavors are already sweet enough. Above 2% you will start to burn and clog coils quickly.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They're both sweeteners. TFA Sweetener is a 10% sucralose (Splenda) solution, ...

No. Sucralose is Not Splenda.

Splenda is a Registered Trademark of a Sweetener that contains a Very Small Amount of Sucralose. The Bulk of Splenda is Dextrose and Maltodextrin.

Splenda - Wikipedia

TFA does Not Use Splenda in their Sweetener. It is made of PG, Water and Sucralose.

Perfumers Apprentice - Sweetener

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
So what do you all think is best?

If I had to add sweetness, I'd lean towards EM if the recipe's flavors had some harsh edges, but would favor sucralose-based Sweetener otherwise. I've often done half-and-half with them both, because of some trivia stuck in my brain about the synergy of combining different artificial sweeteners. But I think it's best not to use any, since both PG and VG taste sweet, and many common flavoring ingredients will impart sweetness too. Nowadays, my first mix test is done without any sweetener.

No. Sucralose is Not Splenda.

Right you are, and in fact there are now some Splenda products that don't contain any sucralose at all. ChelsB, I didn't mean to imply that you should use Splenda-brand sweetener to mix your own e-liquid sweetener; you shouldn't. I just wanted to give you a handle on what sucralose was and where you may have encountered it before, in case you hadn't run across the name before.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
If I had to add sweetness, I'd lean towards EM if the recipe's flavors had some harsh edges, but would favor sucralose-based Sweetener otherwise. I've often done half-and-half with them both, because of some trivia stuck in my brain about the synergy of combining different artificial sweeteners. But I think it's best not to use any, since both PG and VG taste sweet, and many common flavoring ingredients will impart sweetness too. Nowadays, my first mix test is done without any sweetener.

Right you are, and in fact there are now some Splenda products that don't contain any sucralose at all. ChelsB, I didn't mean to imply that you should use Splenda-brand sweetener to mix your own e-liquid sweetener; you shouldn't. I just wanted to give you a handle on what sucralose was and where you may have encountered it before, in case you hadn't run across the name before.

Thanks, @man00ver, I appreciate the information very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread