First time DIY help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottymo247

Jan 15, 2017
Hey guys, I never thought I would get into making my own juice, but i am flooded with tons of juice I purchased that I don't like, or too strong nic, etc. I just figured it's time that I start to make my own, and not worry about how a juice will taste or feel. This way I will have the control.
Now, with that being said, I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me? Do I get a starter kit? Ive read mixed things on them. Some say they are great, others say they are a waste. I normally Vape around 70vg, and 1.5mg nic. Love desert, sweet flavors. Any help on where to start, what I need to get, and where to get it, would be amazing. Thank u guys, and Vape on

Scott

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
DIY ejuice isn't hard, it's just a process that you follow every time. In this section there's a multitude of threads for everybody to read and learn from.

You can either weigh your ingredients as you add them to the bottle or you can use liquid measuring tools like beakers and syringes to add components by the milliliter. Some like the weight method and others like the liquid volume method. It's a preference that you can read about and decide what's best for you.

Here are some links to spend time with.

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

The Hangsen Thread

Recipes for Dummies

Reactions: jpasint

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys, I never thought I would get into making my own juice, but i am flooded with tons of juice I purchased that I don't like, or too strong nic, etc. I just figured it's time that I start to make my own, and not worry about how a juice will taste or feel. This way I will have the control.
Now, with that being said, I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me? Do I get a starter kit? Ive read mixed things on them. Some say they are great, others say they are a waste. I normally Vape around 70vg, and 1.5mg nic. Love desert, sweet flavors. Any help on where to start, what I need to get, and where to get it, would be amazing. Thank u guys, and Vape on

Scott
You can use DIY to dilute the premix you already have. I got a gallon of PG and Vg for about $20 each and transfer to 1 liter plastic bottles for mixing. I got a 1 liter bottle of 100 mg nic for $50 and store that in 4 250 ml amber glass bottles for mixing and kept in the freezer. You need some bottles to mix into. I have 120 and 240 plastic bottles for that and some spouts for them for pouring into 18 ml bottles to drip from. In the beginninng I used syringes to measure. Lately I pour directly into graduated glass cylinders. I have diluted premix with great success. Lately I use an all-in-one flavoring at 1%. I've bought supplies from myfreedomsmokes and rtsvapes. My DIY costs 1.2 cents per ml.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Some basic tips in addition to those above are:

Don't order or buy anything until you've done lots of reading on here about -

* the various measuring methods, the supplies needed for each method, and the various eliquid calculators that are available to help you, when you actually start using a method to DIY

* the nicotine used for DIY - the recommended places to get it, the PG or VG or combination of those 2 that the base can be when you buy it, how to store it, and how to use it safely

* recipes for eliquids - find several you want to make before you order any flavorings, instead of just buying a bunch of flavorings that "sound good" to you, and then trying to figure out what recipes, if any, that you can make with them...which is sometimes not real successful

* the questions others have asked who are new to DIY and the answers they've gotten - they'll usually answer a bunch of your own potential questions, too

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Nobody mentioned it so I will add it.

I like to test recipes and just experiment with mixing flavors that I think might taste good together. That being said I use a LOT of little 5ml plastic bottles. If I see a recipe or just create one, that is just the first little 5ml bottle.

No two people have the same sense of smell or taste. I don't think that if I got a recipe from someone else it has ever stayed the same exact recipe. Lots of little 5ml bottles.

When it comes to trying and adjusting recipes, notes are critical. I can't emphasized that enough. I have an Excel spreadsheet and I record dates, adjustments, why I made it, everything. There are some commercial apps that you can use and, hopefully, others will add them here.

Cigarettes were so boring. Regular, menthol, regular, menthol, etc. DIY is fun and once you have your tools and some flavors, it is very inexpensive.

And, you control it.
Have fun!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Scott
Welcome and glad you joined. This should get you started. Suggest you try each flavor first and see how it tastes and how strong it is. Better to make 6 different 5 ml. mixes rather than 1 30 ml. mix. Best to ask here if you get confused.
Might like to read:
diy_beginners_guide - DIY_eJuice
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Boletus's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
http://www.thevaperstable.com/diy/
How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?
What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum
Tips for Beginners – DIY OR DIE

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Read. Read. Read.
Then read some more....

Danny C and Bill's Magic Vapor are excellent blogs to start with. But you self-education on DIY should always continue.
Buy carefully. Read up on the ingredients of what you are buying.
Start small, and work your way up.
ALWAYS mix in a clean, well ventilated area.
KEEP DIY SUPPLIES AWAY FROM CHILDREN AND PETS. These components are poisonous in the wrong hands.
And then go back and read some more....

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome to DIY and ditto what has already been posted. And wanted to add another suggestion to keep the juices you currently have that are too strong or the wrong nic level. I've gotten a good deal on some 0 nic that I could add nic to my desired level and toned down a couple flavors that were good, but too strong. DIY will open a whole new world with few, if any limitations. So read up, decide how you want to mix, get your basic supplies, and go for it. Most of all, have fun!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Some more good reading

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread