Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'evnin, Volties.

I guess spring is actually on the way. Sundown is getting back to 5PM which is a welcomed change. It's still going to be winter time, with the appropriate weather for another two months or so, but at least there's a noticeable improvement in the amount of daylight.

Tritium, I ordered two different ones from Amazon, both actually shipped from China. The one, a cheapie that included a 30 watt LED as well and made by GLW, worked perfectly. The other one, double the price and no LED, has the same, exact, problem as the originals. I ordered two more sets of driver/LEDs from GLW and another 30 watt floodlight, assembled, also GLW. I also bought a 12 volt, 10 watt, GLW floodlight to fool around with. It'll run on AC or DC and I might give it a try on the tractor for those times when I end up working after dusk. That assumes, and we know what that can do, that it will handle the vibration.

This is the one that worked. I haven' tried the LED, yet, to see if it's warmer white than the 6000K ones I already have running because color temperature isn't that important for my purposes. I will say that a 30 watt LED is easily the equivalent of a 300 watt halogen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQO1L7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that didn't work. I assumed, there's that word again, that being more expensive it would be better designed/filtered, but I was wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXMLWNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Need a few, noisy, 30 watt LED drivers? I should have ordered more than the one GLW, they are no longer available at the price I paid for the one I have, but they're not all that expensive at the higher price. Why is it hindsight is always 20/20? My plan is to buy "generic" 30 watt floodlights and swap out the driver if needed.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'afternoon, Volaticalytes.

I'm amazed the first guy didn't break his leg the way he landed. That looks like a Trex deck, composite made out of plastic, which is a little more slippery, even when dry, than traditional treated lumber.

The second guy looks like he's probably pushing the weight limit of the ladder to begin with. I'll bet he had a really sore back by the next morning. I work on ladders quite often and am always careful with placement, and if there's a question I secure the bottom so it can't skid out on me...I don't bounce as well as I used to! :w00t:

I thought about filter and might try using a toroid on the supply side of the LED driver just to see if that fixes things. If I built a filter it would probably, given Murphy's Law, do too good a job and kill the X10 signal as well. I did try a coiled up, 30 meter, extension cord to see it the attenuation of that would help and it didn't

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'evenin, Voltizens.

We almost didn't take Leo to class last night. We were both pretty tired and had been busy all day, but decided since it's paid for we'd take him. It wasn't a big class to begin with, just three "students". The last time we were there one of them didn't come. Last night we were the only ones there. It was nice to get all the instructor time but we also wanted him to meet other puppies, socialize and get a little play time with them.

Here he is with the instructor.

And here he is with Mrs. Awsum. It's a little blurry because he was running between the three of us with the "come" command.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
It stayed above freezing last night. I still have some snow out there but not too much.

We are supposed to get some fast moving bands of rain or snow. Probably rain here in our town. Hoping to work with the horse today and I need to vacuum the house since Sassy decided the dish sponge would be fun to rip to shreds.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Don't complain too much, Lizzie, you'll end up shoveling and slogging through it if it happens.

We've battened down for a Nor-Easter today. While I was getting dressed, the lights flickered a little, stayed on though, and I heard a big boom off in the distance. I'm betting a tree went down and a transformer let loose on the next grid section north of us. The generator is ready to run, just in case.

Leo's last kindergarten class is tonight and we're both determined to get him to it. Neither snow, nor rain, nor dark of night....

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
The temperature keeps dropping here, down to 39 from about 50 overnight. Makes me wonder if we'll see snow, too. The wind is gusting at about 26mph, almost 42 km/h, already and is supposed to get much higher late this afternoon and this evening. Keep in mind that wind speed is at about 15 feet off the ground and below the tree line, so higher up it has to be well over 50mph already.

To answer your question, Tritium, 184 cm = 72-1/16".

Lilac, I don't know if there'll be a graduation "ceremony" or not. If there is, I'll have Mrs. Awsum take the pics, or I'll use her camera. She as an iPhone 7 which takes better photos than my old Rugby.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
We just got back from class. Leo was wound up like a clock spring tonight, what a handful. It's hard, sometimes, given his size and strength to remember he's still a very young puppy. Pictures tomorrow with Emma, the Mini Schnauzer, a real contrast in size to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread