OBS Engine Gold Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
I have got to tell you, I absolutely love my Merlin Mini RTA in single coil mode. It's one of the best tanks I've ever used when it comes to flavor chasing, to be honest. The only issue I have with is it the low juice capacity, but I am not a chain vaper anyways so it's not a deal-breaker; I understand that it's a regulation they have to meet, and I can see that many new tanks are coming out with that juice capacity anyway so it doesn't matter. I now only use the OBS and the Merlin, and I'll give the Ammit one last chance with a good rebuild before I retire it.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I son't have the Merlin mini. I just can't deal with 2 ml tanks anymore. I have a full size Merlin which is terrific for flavor, but there are some who have a seeping/leaking from the press fit base. I don't believe the mini has had that issue. Fortunately my full size has not seeped/leaked so remains in use. As always varying QC issues with the builders of these things. There is a Merlin 2 being planned which will have more volume than the mini and hopefully not the deck seeping problem of the first version.

The European TPD regulation kick in May, I believe at which time tanks will be limited to 2 ml. If you're in the EU now is the time to stock up on bigger tanks.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Vaping is actually illegal where I live but there are still unlicensed vendors and such that sell vaping equipment, which is why the prices are ridiculously expensive over here. The cost of a tank in Egypt could easily buy me a good mod in the States, for example, which is why I am always careful about which tanks I buy and I end up selling what I don't like or exchanging with someone.

Right now I'm thinking of which tank to get if I'll be getting rid of the Ammit.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
I rewicked the OBS twice with the same flavor in the tank and the first couple of hits are good but then the flavor gets mutated, as in there's this weird taste and I don't know where it is coming from. I know how to properly wick this tank so I know I am doing it right. I'm using two 24-gauge kanthal 6 wrap coils reading 0.39 ohms.

I'm going to try changing flavors from a cookie and cream one to a strawberry/banana mix and I'll use the wick installed since I JUST wicked it 5 minutes ago. Hopefully things will be better.

Last edited:

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
The new flavor worked fine for a while but then eventually I got that same weird flavor, so I am guessing it is the coils. I'll be installing a Tiger coils tomorrow morning to try.
If you have some SS wire I would try that. To me SS is a cleaner wire with a better flavor.

Reactions: TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
I ended up making a mistake by buying a 26GA + 32GA Fused Clapton spool. The wires are too big and they made base of the tank really, really hot that it made me worried about the mod as well as the tank. The build read 0.20 ohms (6 wraps on 3mm) and I was vaping at 65W. I ended up throwing away the coils and using my friend's regular K Clapton wire.

I'll be buying regular Claptons tomorrow. :(

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
This has become my favorite tank.
A really easy rebuild is with notch coils these say on the ones that I bought that they are.25 but my dual coil build came in at .14. It's refreshing to have a one piece coil no worrying about the coil going out of adjustment. Easiest rebuild ever.

I've found the trick is when wicking cut the wicks to around the length of the steel rim. Tuck into the hole but not deep. Be sure to keep the cotton or rayon loose so it wicks easily.
Also underfilling the tank works best. When filled to capacity, it has a tendency to sputter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread