Are "Cloud Chasers" helping the anti-vape movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who_Dey_1991

Verified Member
Aug 22, 2016
Ohio
In my experience, the cloud chasers aren't really helping matters.

I'm from a pretty rural area. So much so that for most people, smoking is fine. Out of 150 employees where I work, I know know of 2 that vape exclusively (me being one, we're both tootle-puffers). But I would wager 75% of the others are regular tobacco users (probably half cigs, half snuff). And that's normal. So for people in my community seeing someone chuck a huge cloud from a bulky box in their hands, it's off-putting to them.

Just the other night browsing Facebook, I came across a meme of a deer hunter with a vape in his lap. The caption read something like, "Put Doe-in-Heat in my vape to attract a big bucks, but now my mouth just tastes like deer *expletive*". It was just a joke, and I giggled. But since I happened to recognize the vape was an iStick with a Nautilus mini, I was gonna comment. You wouldn't believe the things I saw there. People commenting about how gay vaping is, or about how a man vaping is no man at all. And of course, comments from the uninformed claiming how much more dangerous it is.

But that got me thinking. If there are so many people out there thinking it's worse than smoking and not understanding that many vapers simply picked it up to put down the smokes, it points to a lack of information being delivered to the masses. And if the benefits of vaping over smoking aren't being put out for anyone to see, who would be to blame for that?

Big tobacco. I mean naturally, if something were to threaten their profits, they'd want to silence it.

Now I don't think cloud chasers are hurting the public image of vaping. But I do think that those people who simply vape 0mg nicotine just so they can chuck clouds and be trendy, having never even smoked before, they are not helping. Especially with tobacco companies not wanting to lose profits to vaping.

But I'm a live and let live kinda guy. If you want to start vaping just because you think it would be fun to blow huge clouds, have at it. I just wish that non-vapers would simply do a little research before chastising someone else for what they do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Akrotiri

Moved On
Oct 4, 2016
I've heard/seen negative reactions from people who have said " ecigs were fine at first, now they are using stuff that makes as much fog as a rock concert".

I got into this as a replacement for smoking, not as a gung ho fog generator. I fear that the cloud chasers will be the bane of our choice of nicotine delivery.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk
No, cloud chasers are not helping the vaping community. They attract negative attention and most of the deeming regulations came about because of the cloud chasing fad.

Reactions: jwilkers

jwilkers

Nov 25, 2011
Columbus, OH
No, cloud chasers are not helping the vaping community. They attract negative attention and most of the deeming regulations came about because of the cloud chasing fad.
...and they are directing the market towards producing more expensive fog machines

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Akrotiri

Moved On
Oct 4, 2016
The war we are losing here had nothing to do with cloud chasing... It has to do with protecting 32 billion in tobacco tax revenue. It was never about anything else
Perhaps, but cloud chasers along with irresponsible e-liquid manufacturers who market their flavors to underage people give the tobacco lobby and the anti-vaping zombies one more fake reason to push prohibition.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
I'm not a cloud chaser but I think it has probably advanced the technology the same way racing advances technology in production cars. People blowing huge clouds in places they shouldn't is what gives it a bad name. Just my :2c:.
That isn't cloud chasing, that is just being an ignorant A-...Think of it like a hobby or sport. You wouldn't call some guy dribbling a basketball up the middle of the freeway a basketball player, you would call him an idiot.
Now I use cloud chasing builds at home. But I do use an RDA out of the house. However, I am courteous enough to go away from and down wind of others.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Perhaps, but cloud chasers along with irresponsible e-liquid manufacturers who market their flavors to underage people give the tobacco lobby and the anti-vaping zombies one more fake reason to push prohibition.
Prohibition? Is that still a word? It didn't work with alcohol. Didn't work with other stuff, it didn't even work with minors under age 18 smoking. Marketing flavors to underage people, what flavor would that be, breast milk flavor? I didn't stop liking candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and chocolate and pop tarts when I turned 18. The manufacturers make flavors people like. It is up to the government to set regulations, and up to vendors to adhere to those regulations, and up to the police to enforce them. If police see a minor with a vape, they need to write a ticket for possession of a controlled substance and device and confiscate the device and any ejuice they have right there on the spot. If a law isn't being enforced... why even have it? If police don't want to enforce it.. fire them and hire officers that are willing to do the job they get paid to do. If vendors want to sell to minors, fine them and revoke their sales license.

Also.. how do you know if a vaper is a cloud chaser or not? Only way I know is to check his vape gear. If he is vaping 40 wraps across 2 coils (technically 4) then he is a cloud chaser. So the problem isn't with cloud chasers, the problem is with clouds. Period. And that problem is being resolved as more and more people learn that vaping isn't smoking and fog isn't smoke.
If anything, clouds are helping vaping. It is making people look and ask questions and learn. I'm not saying those ignorant .... holes vaping in bus shelters are helping, but really, that is just the same as some smoker in there smoking. It is just plain ignorant. Now clouds aren't for everyone, but then again, neither is hockey or football or ballet or rap music or rock music etc etc. But just like hockey and football and ballet... if you don't like it, you don't need to watch it. Stay away from the competitions and stay out of my living room. I pay the rent, I'll do what I want.
I think you guys are actually very confused. When you see somebody vaping in public and making a big cloud, that isn't a cloud chaser, it is a flavor chaser. Check the mod.. I bet you find 2x 6 wrap claptons. Either way.. blowing clouds in the middle of non vapers is ignorant, no matter what size the cloud is. Some people might not know that 2nd hand vapor is harmless. And that goes for toodle puffers too.

GBalkam

Apr 29, 2016
Nautilus mini? Ok, I saw that and literally laughed out loud. Still grinning about it.
2-14062H14101b6.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

NOT a nautilus mini... now THAT is a cloud build.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Clouds in the shop where i work persuaded management to try and ban vaping on the shop floor. How that worked out is clouds are banned but we still vape, VERY discretely. Management knows we are doing it but chooses to ignore it, as they did before. Clouds bothered people. Discrete vaping does not.

The public perception that vaping is about clouds works to my advantage. I'm finding, if there is no visible vapor and I'm not making a show of it, people don't perceive vaping or don't react to it. My vape has some visible vapor but I can suppress it by holding my breath for a few seconds. I mix 50/50 liquid, not 80/20 and vape at reletively low power on single coils. That lets me vape when and where i want. Two days after Christmas I vaped for 90 minutes waiting for a flight in Newark airport. The area was crowded. I was using a small rig and avoiding visible vapor. I mix with minimal flavoring so odor is hard to detect. May be a few travelers noticed but I saw no reaction. Some airport staff must have noticed but didn't make an issue of it. Vaping indoors in New Jersey is illegal, right?

DarrellG

Memba
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2016
Boston Massachusetts
I think vapers who enjoy blowing massive clouds constitute easy ammo for our opposition on the PR front -even if they're not doing it in public, or in close proximity to others. Place cloud chasing into a cable news segment and odds are it won't be handled with much tact; the segment will close with the anchors shaking their heads and smirking. Those impressions have an effect, framing the whole movement as juvenile, at best. I certainly don't agree with that assessment, but I suspect plenty will. I think that's just the sad truth of the matter. Public opinion is a tricky beast to tame.

I like to believe that sharing our personal stories and passing along some bits of fact in our daily conversations can have a cumulative positive effect. Not always an easy task, and sometimes one that makes me want to tear out my few remaining hairs, but it's worth the effort. It's in those moments that I really feel the opposition we're up against.

10Pups

Jan 14, 2017
Orange, California
From my experience (which is fresh in my mind) I saw guys blowing big clouds and thought that must be hard on the lungs. I mean visually and uneducated in the subject, that is what a normal person would think. And when I started looking into it 5 weeks ago I thought if I gave it a chance I would never blow clouds that big. The 1st mod I bought was a Reuleaux 2/3 and the battery life and flavor is the reason I started there. Now I can blow clouds bigger than I remember seeing but I don't do it around others and mostly for fun once in awhile. You know , just to see. I have treated my vaping like smoking and still feel a little uncomfortable vaping indoors. I also join my old smoking buddies but clouds go down wind just like my smoke used to. Something about having smoke or vapor coming out of somebody else's lungs just doesn't work in my face and so I don't expect it will in anybodies. Small cloud or huge, don't share it. It doesn't help. It's bad manners, period. As for the zealots in any issue, their time has come to an end. This last election proved that I hope. Let's see more common sense for all our rights and freedoms.

halbgott

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2012
Things have really changed. Almost every shop I used to visit were helpful and enthusiastic but in the past three years I've been to about five places where the reception was very cold and elitist.
It's a shame that it's divided like it is. Some people just weren't taught to consider those next to them. Being obnoxious with clouds just seems like it's begging for confrontation. To me at least.

Reactions: ChelsB

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Being obnoxious with clouds just seems like it's begging for confrontation.
I think many people that are being obnoxious ARE begging for confrontation.

Not saying that is necessarily so with the clouds thing though.
Just a general observation.

With respect to the clouds thing it's more of an if the shoe fits thing.

I know there have been a few times in my life when I chose to be obnoxious.
And it was precisely because I was looking for a confrontation.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread