Pod Mods: Which One Are You Liking the Most?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for the responses. What I was struggling to see was what was it about these that would appeal to a more experienced vaper. There was no way I would be digging out my 5 year old ego-t kit for example. However, I do like the idea of having a small back up device. I never generally bother taking a second when I am using a mech, but now I have started to use regulateds again, having the second as a back up could be handy. Might have a bit more of a read into these.

I don't know what it is, its more satisfactory than the old pen style kits and protank days. At least the myjet is.

Reactions: David Wolf

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Now that I have explored pod systems I see that they are everywhere. I like the idea of having something to back up my cloud set up when I am in a situation where filling a room with one puff isn't ideal. Would be great to hear feedback from someone who has tried all the major players (cync, my., juul, Myjet) after a bit of use. I like the idea of the icare as well, but I appreciate that's not quite in the same class.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Now that I have explored pod systems I see that they are everywhere. I like the idea of having something to back up my cloud set up when I am in a situation where filling a room with one puff isn't ideal. Would be great to hear feedback from someone who has tried all the major players (cync, my., juul, Myjet) after a bit of use. I like the idea of the icare as well, but I appreciate that's not quite in the same class.

Depends on what you want.

I've personally tried the Juul and the Myjet

The JUUL is vastly overrated, isn't really mouth to lung (to much airflow) and has weak throat hit, good nicotine, but weak throathit and the vape is too cool to be enjoyable to me can be refilled, but rewick is not practical.

The MyJet is pretty solid for me. Warm vape, good throaty hit, easily refilled and you can torch the coil and rewick relatively simply.

I have an iCare on the way, and am debating on trying the My Von Erl since it seems its possible to re-coil.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
JUUL was excellent but too expensive. Even so I stuck with it for over a year until they messed up my autoship a few months ago for about the third time. At the time I had no idea there were alternative pod devices available (except those nasty things they sell at Walgreens), but seeing as I had only one pod left, I was forced to find a better way . . . or buy a pack of smokes. Let's just say my supplier (JUUL) was pretty unreliable.

So I had a Von Erl delivered overnight and like it a lot altho it tends to leak slightly with a hard draw, even if not refilled. Have since tried Eleaf iCare and buying liquid and just might stick with that option (cost reduction is huge), and overall it's excellent although it also can spit especially with high VG and I haven't figured out what the problem is. Now trying a (similar) MyVapors myMini which reviews say has a better tip than iCare that prevents spitback. Of course these two latter are not pod systems, but are almost as portable and seem to be more reliable so far (JUUL has a magnetic charger that can be impossible to clean, making charging an exercise in aggravation sometimes).

Learned some tricks for refilling Von Erl today that might change my opinion.

My feeling is that any degree of even occasional spitback or dribbling is completely unacceptable. JUUL had a major problem with spitback in the original diamond-shaped pods but seem to have totally eliminated the problem with the newer hex-shaped pods. Even when refilled they rarely spit back. So manufacturers should take notice - it can be done.

Interestingly I'd still be with JUUL if they had done better on the shipping and customer service (meaning I wouldn't have started searching for other pod systems). But I'm loving the cost reduction. Hope they don't miss the $150/month.

Last edited:

dansus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    Would be great to hear feedback from someone who has tried all the major players (cync, my., juul, Myjet) after a bit of use. I like the idea of the icare as well, but I appreciate that's not quite in the same class.
    I would hold off until feedback on the BO One comes in, it could be the daddy. They are widely available now, shouldnt be long.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 13, 2016
    I would hold off until feedback on the BO One comes in, it could be the daddy. They are widely available now, shouldnt be long.
    I have to say, it would be nice if the daddy would arrive! Currently they all have problems, either price, charging issues, leakage, inability to refill pods, supply chain, or spitback. The best I've tried so far is iCare (not a pod system, but very small) but it went nuts with high VG.

Reactions: YePsTeR

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK

The BO does look like a good set up, however, there are a few points that would maybe push me in the direction of the MVE;

- The initial cost of the kit is £15 more for the BO (although pods work out to be cheaper)
    - The capacity on the BO pods are slightly smaller.
    - The BO needs a specific charger where the MVE uses a standard micro USB. I also think the design of the charger looks a bit cumbersome.
    - And most importantly, the pods on the BO do not appear to be re-wickable or rebuildable. Having said that, by design, I would expect the BO pods to be less prone to leakage.

Having said all the above, from pictures only, the BO looks like a more quality product overall and looks very well constructed.

I think the answer is to just get both :D

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 15, 2013
    You folks use a lot of jargon, in a good way! What is "torch the coil"?

Pull the coil portion of the MyJet out of the juice pod
    Pull off both silicon pieces.
    With a pair of pliers (CAREFULLY to not BEND and/or damage the coil. ) pull the metal collar straight out.
    Pull out the wick.
    Run the lighter over the coil (torching it until it glows slightly) gotta be quick and careful so you don't melt the plastic base.

Put the metal collar back on.
    Put the big silicon piece on.
    Wick the Coil through the slits on the metal collar and snip the ends.
    Put the Silicon top back on.
    prime with a bit of juice and fill your pod and put back together.

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 15, 2013
    Also,

I received the iCare Mini today.

WAY TO AIRY not mouth to lung IMO at all. The Airflow control doesn't actually seem to do anything. Flavor is more muted than the MyJet.

Edit: so apparently you do have to pull it out and move the little ring by hand.
    I assumed those 5 holes where static and you rotated the tube slightly to increase decrease. I have all 5 holes closed off completely and it's a little better now.
    So the pull is now pretty similar to the MyJet, I can't really tell the difference in the draw, but the MyJet still has better flavor and more vapor with the same juice. 70PG/30VG DIY. I assume that's because the iCare is 15w vs 20w on the myjet. But it's definitely usable now.

So so far between Juul, iCare, MyJet - MyJet is the clear winner for me.

I will actually keep the iCare though since It's still relatively stealthy and I can probably play around with juices I wouldn't normally use in the MyJet

Last edited:

sqonker

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 28, 2015
    Just in case you weren't aware of it, the iCare has adjustable airflow.
    You may have already messed with that, but just throwing it out there.
    :)
    I have the juul, and the icare mini. Just got the kangertech togo mini 2.0 and it blows them all out of the water. Better battery life, supersmall, fits in watch pocket of jeans and hits better than any of the ones mentioned above

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pappasmurfsharem

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 15, 2013
    Just in case you weren't aware of it, the iCare has adjustable airflow.
    You may have already messed with that, but just throwing it out there.
    :)

I thought I saw you just use the mouthpiece to turn it slightly, do you actually have to pull the tube out and adjust it manually?

Edit: so apparently you do have to pull it out and move the little ring by hand.
    I assumed those 5 holes where static and you rotated the tube slightly to increase decrease. I have all 5 holes closed off completely and it's a little better now.
    So the pull is now pretty similar to the MyJet, I can't really tell the difference in the draw, but the MyJet still has better flavor and more vapor with the same juice. 70PG/30VG DIY. I assume that's because the iCare is 15w vs 20w on the myjet. But it's definitely usable now.

Last edited:

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    After using MVE, BO1 and JUUL side by side for several days I like BO1 better than MVE. It fires easier, no spit backs and has tighter draw. Overall BO1 is very close to JUUL. But the latter has better temperature control and vape is stealthier (almost no visible clouds).

Any further thoughts on rebuilding or wicking the BO1 pods?

dansus

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2016
    London
    After using MVE, BO1 and JUUL side by side for several days I like BO1 better than MVE. It fires easier, no spit backs and has tighter draw. Overall BO1 is very close to JUUL. But the latter has better temperature control and vape is stealthier (almost no visible clouds).
    Thats odd, mine has a looser draw than the MVE. Maybe your lips are covering the air intake in the pod window area.

Think BO have a TC version on their site, but no sign of being able to buy it yet.

Reactions: VictorC

VictorC

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2015
    Toronto, Ontario
    Any further thoughts on rebuilding or wicking the BO1 pods?
    I don't think it's possible

Think BO have a TC version on their site, but no sign of being able to buy it yet.

Thanks dansus, I didn't realize they have two different versions, Bo One and BO TC

VictorC

ECF Veteran
    Jan 26, 2015
    Toronto, Ontario
    Out of the current options, which one do people feel has the most open draw for direct lung? I can do it in the MVE, but it is certainly on the tight side.

I would say MVE, BO1 and JUUL are even tighter. Very subjective of course. Also, MVE needs more "inhale" power to initiate the sensor that's probably why I am using it as DL.

Reactions: Ben85
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread