Another Explosion in Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
I am still waiting to know how the sink got cracked like it did.

Cultured marble is very easy to break. Did a bathroom demo for a relative a few years ago (saved him $1,500 and made good money myself). No way to carry the large tub out whole... Busted it up and carried it out in pieces. Getting the new one in was not my problem:) Just dropping a heavy mech mod from several feet could possibly do that. Plus he probably slammed it down as a reflex action.

Still an idiot for building a .06 ohm!

Epsilonsama

Dec 26, 2016
I have been researching this story and the more I read the more fishy it looks. I know damn well that mech mods are not sold to newbies at least not in my local shop. They always sell lower end starter kits and keep mechs to more advanced users. My local shop does not even carry premade coils lower than 0.15 and they don't sell those to everyone.

Reactions: SteveS45

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Speaking of exploding batteries!

I like watching videos of people putting things in a blender, hydraulic press etc. I watched this a little while ago and thought it was great! Especially the LiPos! The regular alkalines look like zits popping!

Just figured this thread could use a little levity!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
I have been researching this story and the more I read the more fishy it looks. I know damn well that mech mods are not sold to newbies at least not in my local shop. They always sell lower end starter kits and keep mechs to more advanced users. My local shop does not even carry premade coils lower than 0.15 and they don't sell those to everyone.

Though, i've seen plenty of post here that newbies got home with a mech that they knew nothing about and not rarely a very low ohm build aswell. So i wouln't take it for granted.
Some shops are probably better than others though.

Speaking of exploding batteries!

I like watching videos of people putting things in a blender, hydraulic press etc. I watched this a little while ago and thought it was great! Especially the LiPos! The regular alkalines look like zits popping!

Just figured this thread could use a little levity!

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Funny coincidence... I saw that too the other day when randomly browsering youtube vids.
And it also went as expected with the lipo, they're very volatile. I would liked him to have tested IMR and ICR aswell.
ICR would most likley gone boom right away, however would have been nice to see how an IMR would've fared.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Supposedly the shop did not sell him this setup he made it himself and he could not answer any questions what the build was Ohm wise.

I'm very confident to say that he had no clue what he was doing. Especially if the 0.06 ohm build is true even more so if he had to use a towel(?) due it's heat.
And most likley he used a cheaper ohm meter if he even used one at all, which usualy differs 0.5-0.9 here and there in ohms.

Aswell mentioning that he took the battery right from the charger. Which is a no-go.
Batteries should always rest atleast 5 minutes before use. And preferably measure so the battery is correctly charged. Overcharged battery is likley to go boom/failure on you.

Highest charge for a battery is 4.2v or 4.25v for sony vtcs.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Thru Retailers/OEM's ?
This would seem to be an obvious solution. However if one modifies their top fuel
drag racer and blows the engine, how can one hold the retailers and,OEM's responsible?
Another example would be DIY'ers over loading ammo causing blown casings that
damage their weapons. Things like these happen quite frequently caused by people
who know what they are doing and,are doing it deliberately. How does one prevent
someone who hasn't a clue from doing it?
:2c:
Regards
Mike

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This would seem to be an obvious solution. However if one modifies their top fuel
drag racer and blows the engine, how can one hold the retailers and,OEM's responsible?
Another example would be DIY'ers over loading ammo causing blown casings that
damage their weapons. Things like these happen quite frequently caused by people
who know what they are doing and,are doing it deliberately. How does one prevent
someone who hasn't a clue from doing it?
:2c:
Regards
Mike

I Don't recall say'n that this was a means to hold Retailers/OEM's responsible? In fact, it would be viewed in the eyes of Most Courts as doing the Direct Opposite. As a mechanism to Release Retailers/OEM's from certain Responsibilities.

"How does one prevent someone who hasn't a clue from doing it?"

Simple. You Can't prevent everyone 100% of the Time. But when a Person is Clueless, and you give them Information so they have the ability to Not Be Clueless, then you can Prevent more from having a Bad Day than if you provide No Information at all.

EddieAdams

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
New York
I Don't recall say'n that this was a means to hold Retailers/OEM's responsible? In fact, it would be viewed in the eyes of Most Courts as doing the Direct Opposite. As a mechanism to Release Retailers/OEM's from certain Responsibilities.

"How does one prevent someone who hasn't a clue from doing it?"

Simple. You Can't prevent everyone 100% of the Time. But when a Person is Clueless, and you give them Information so they have the ability to Not Be Clueless, then you can Prevent more from having a Bad Day than if you provide No Information at all.
"You can lead a horse to water....."

FDA BOC

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I Don't recall say'n that this was a means to hold Retailers/OEM's responsible?

:confused:
Who is supposed to give them that information?
If someone asks I am sure you and I would gladly
steer them in the right direction. Unfortunately the
younger males of our species and their bro's know
it all and don't ask.
:);)
Mike

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Retailers and OEM's.

I think we are in a Loop.

LOL
If I were a retailer, I would do it as a CYA measure, possibly even have people sign something that they have been provided with warnings and safety information(maybe not as that could open up more liability). That's how America works, we don't make sure you're safe, we just make sure you can't sue us if you hurt yourself.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If I were a retailer, I would do it as a CYA measure, possibly even have people sign something that they have been provided with warnings and safety information(maybe not as that could open up more liability). That's how America works, we don't make sure you're safe, we just make sure you can't sue us if you hurt yourself.

I would Also. As well as have some Basic Information about Ohm's Law, Battery CDR, Build Guidelines, ECF Thread Links, etc on my Website.

And I do believe that if would prevent Some from doing something Stupid. Not All. But Some.

Reactions: Lessifer

MrCloudMaker

Jan 22, 2017
Paphos, Cyprus
I reckon Andy Hall was sitting on the sink, it broke and with that he fell hard on the floor with device in mouth being gripped by his teeth. whilst he was trying to stop his fall with his hands, this would knock a few teeth out. The impact of the battery on the floor with potential bending to the mech could potentially cause the atty to break. In the articles said he had bits of plastic in his mouth, a plastic atty wouldn't be too strong.

The distance from placing a PV in mouth and rotating it so it touches your cheek is roughly then same distact from his mouth to his burn mark I believe after the atty broken the coil landed on his cheek / his cheek landed on the coil.

The bump above his left eye and bruise on the top of his head (just under hair whips) would also lead to this conclusion that he had fallen.

If it was the device that blew up causing the burn to the cheek why is it a shaped burn and not a linear one? why did not a single head on his hair singe the same way his beard was? Why is the beard singe about the size of a deck and not a battery head?

Also his lower lip looks swollen whilst his upper lip isn't this may suggest that maybe it was his chin that crushed the device when it his the floor.

If it was to have exploded in his hand whilst using it, there would be severe damage to his hands however in no story was this reported. Furthermore the sun newspaper has a picture of him in hospital with not so much as a spec of dirt on his hands.

Another point If it did blow out from the connector end and acted like a rocket then the drip tip would have been fired through the back of his skull, that is if the other end had enough pressure to crack a sink and the (as other pictures from news sites show) ricochet across the wall and ceiling.

Also leads me into another point why vape in the bathroom, is it possible he vapes in bath/shower this water may have corroded the mod over its one year life or caused a short circuit? Water and electric devices are never friends you would use an iPhone in the bath or a toaster so why would you use any other electronic device.

I believe the battery exploded I just don't believe was from normal use. But from the fall bending the battery during impac from him falling. Any pressurised container under force will go pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread