Solving generic problems and other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
So I'm new to this, used JUUL for about a year then decided it was too expensive. Have experimented with refilling JUUL and von erl pods and have tried eleaf iCare. I'll probably never get into "modding" because I just want simple, reliable, portable, and stealthy. So far the iCare is very good, and will be trying out the similar MyVapors MyMini soon, but of course they don't have portable pods. JUUL and von erl pods can be refilled but the results are kind of variable.

Anyway in the 3 months I've been using (or trying to use) these gadgets I'm noticing some recurring problems and am hoping experienced modders might help get an idea of what kinds of mechanical things to check. For example
  • What causes spitback and/or dribbling into mouth.
  • Nasty burnt flavor/smell.
  • What to use to clean a pod, or the tank on a refillable device like iCare?
  • When refilling a "closed" system pod, how to know when it's time to throw out the pod?
  • On refillable systems like iCare, do the coil and wick wear out, and how to know when to replace them?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'd suggest checking the manufacturer's websites for possible answers to those questions maybe. Most on here use various mods, clearomizers and/or tanks, RBAs, etc.

I'd help you if I had experience with what you're using, but I don't. Based on how many views your post has had, but no responses yet before mine...IMO many are in the same situation I am. I hope the websites can help you.

ETA: I love the pup in your avatar! Very cute pic. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: r055co

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Juul, Von Earl?

I think you have entered a parallel universe. :eek:

As for the iCare... hard to say. The coils should last a week maybe if you get lucky. I decided against the iCare for a few reasons;
Condensation build up
Short coil life
Short battery life
... and Phil Busardo basically said it wasn't the best choice for a new vaper.

I use box mods and build atomizers and vape with drippers and squonkers, but use and enjoy some really basic equipment. For me, a basic kit (like for a new Vaper) needs to have a few important things that are right with it.

Pods systems are a sort of financial slavery and should only really be a last resort. These people aren't in it to help smokers quit. They just want the money.

A small box mod with a proper independent tank is plenty stealthy enough for 99% of society unless you are a Dachshund who forgot to wear the doggy coat with the deep pockets.

Usually, I don't use the term 'upgrade' because often upgrades are nothing of the sort.

I your case, I recommend upgrading to a nice little mod (mini iStick?) and a nice Eleaf tank (GS for example) and put all this behind you.

AIOs are AIOs. Not being able to wash the liquid chamber and/or separate the tank from the mod is kind of 'daft' logic. Sure, you can buy another AIO, but $50 says it has the same problems as the iCare.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
Juul, Von Earl?

I think you have entered a parallel universe. :eek:

As for the iCare... hard to say. The coils should last a week maybe if you get lucky. I decided against the iCare for a few reasons;
Condensation build up
Short coil life
Short battery life
... and Phil Busardo basically said it wasn't the best choice for a new vaper.

I use box mods and build atomizers and vape with drippers and squonkers, but use and enjoy some really basic equipment. For me, a basic kit (like for a new Vaper) needs to have a few important things that are right with it.

Pods systems are a sort of financial slavery and should only really be a last resort. These people aren't in it to help smokers quit. They just want the money.

A small box mod with a proper independent tank is plenty stealthy enough for 99% of society unless you are a Dachshund who forgot to wear the doggy coat with the deep pockets.

Usually, I don't use the term 'upgrade' because often upgrades are nothing of the sort.

I your case, I recommend upgrading to a nice little mod (mini iStick?) and a nice Eleaf tank (GS for example) and put all this behind you.

AIOs are AIOs. Not being able to wash the liquid chamber and/or separate the tank from the mod is kind of 'daft' logic. Sure, you can buy another AIO, but $50 says it has the same problems as the iCare.

Parallel universe confirmed. Obviously from my avatar I'm not a Dachshund, I'm a vastly superior breed but still with no desire for a big bulge in a jeans pocket.

Thanks for a very useful post but I'm having trouble with the jargon. What is a "small box mod" and can you give some examples that would fit in a pocket, maybe links? Don't forget I started with Blu, then on to JUUL, have tried iCare and Von Erl, and now I'm looking for cheap, reliable, refillable, but very small. Starting to like the iCare and MyMini because they are a step up in "adjustable, refillable" altho larger than a JUUL or von Erl.

So I'm completely clueless on the mods or boxes or whatever they're called. Frankly I'm not even sure what "mod" means - modular? I'm starting to get a glimmer that maybe these these things are components with standard fittings so parts from different companies can be fitted together and interchanged? Like a sound system? Or something like that?

I'm not averse to your suggestion, which I think is to buy a mini iStick and Eleaf GS tank. (Altho to me it looks bigger than dachshund pocket size). You just screw them together and vape? I assume you're recommending these guys because they're reliable and proven? Is that the complete list of necessary components to buy?

What is an AIO?

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Liazard
I agree with the folks above trying to convince you there may be a better way than these closed systems. If you want small & simple have a look at the Aster mod (the thing with the battery in it and the buttons to work it, $27 at Vapor DNA less 10% with the coupon code DNA10) for a small device, little more than a tube mod in size, with the full normal complement of power & temp control modes. Easily pocketable, single battery, and able to go as high as 75 watts. Couple this with a nice atomizer tank and then you've got a refillable simple and inexpensive system able to take any e juice available and using factory made coils for simplicity. An example of a nice cheap atty would be the Ijust2 tank (not the whole kit as its mod has frequent switch defects). Folks here will give lots of good suggestions on simple vape systems all much better in performance and cost than those closed pod systems.

In answer to your original questions;
  • What causes spitback and/or dribbling into mouth. - excess juice on the coil which itself can be caused by a number of things
  • Nasty burnt flavor/smell. - too little juice on the coil when you fire it and/or a build up of juice sludge from use, the latter normally means it's time to change the wick & coil (or pod)
  • What to use to clean a pod, or the tank on a refillable device like iCare? - normally simply rinsing it with water is enough, the juice is water soluble, be careful not to get the inner electrics wet though
  • When refilling a "closed" system pod, how to know when it's time to throw out the pod? - I've never had one of those systems but have read that when you get the burnt taste, the pod starts leaking, or the pod stops working for vapor are the times to give it the heave ho, most of these pods make it difficult to re-wick and near impossible to re-coil them since their creators want more of your money
  • On refillable systems like iCare, do the coil and wick wear out, and how to know when to replace them? - they don't wear out as much as get gummed up from the vaped juice and as the coil gets gummed the residue will start to burn and give that awful taste
Your questions and the answers generally apply to all systems, pod or not.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Parallel universe confirmed. Obviously from my avatar I'm not a Dachshund, I'm a vastly superior breed but still with no desire for a big bulge in a jeans pocket.

Thanks for a very useful post but I'm having trouble with the jargon. What is a "small box mod" and can you give some examples that would fit in a pocket, maybe links? Don't forget I started with Blu, then on to JUUL, have tried iCare and Von Erl, and now I'm looking for cheap, reliable, refillable, but very small. Starting to like the iCare and MyMini because they are a step up in "adjustable, refillable" altho larger than a JUUL or von Erl.

So I'm completely clueless on the mods or boxes or whatever they're called. Frankly I'm not even sure what "mod" means - modular? I'm starting to get a glimmer that maybe these these things are components with standard fittings so parts from different companies can be fitted together and interchanged? Like a sound system? Or something like that?

I'm not averse to your suggestion, which I think is to buy a mini iStick and Eleaf GS tank. (Altho to me it looks bigger than dachshund pocket size). You just screw them together and vape? I assume you're recommending these guys because they're reliable and proven? Is that the complete list of necessary components to buy?

What is an AIO?
In the 'olde' days, people were modifying devices for better performance. Manufacturers listened in, & the term Mods stuck.
Your observation of modular, mix & match is very apt.
AIO= all in one,,meh to me..

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Touché :) You are a great sport. Thanks for understanding my style.

Keep looking @Liazard , find the path that works for you. I just try to provide the Yang to the closed system Yin.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
Keep looking @Liazard , find the path that works for you. I just try to provide the Yang to the closed system Yin.

Well you know, it seems like it's evolving fast. It seems like there's a new small one every other day. Right now there are two extremes, pod systems (JUUL, My Von Erl, MyJet) and "mods" or whatever they're called. There's also a middle ground developing, devices like iCare, MyMini, iNano, that are refillable and the coil can be replaced, but they're tiny.

Reactions: David Wolf

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
Hi Liazard
I agree with the folks above trying to convince you there may be a better way than these closed systems. If you want small & simple have a look at the Aster mod (the thing with the battery in it and the buttons to work it, $27 at Vapor DNA less 10% with the coupon code DNA10) for a small device, little more than a tube mod in size, with the full normal complement of power & temp control modes. Easily pocketable, single battery, and able to go as high as 75 watts. Couple this with a nice atomizer tank and then you've got a refillable simple and inexpensive system able to take any e juice available and using factory made coils for simplicity. An example of a nice cheap atty would be the Ijust2 tank (not the whole kit as its mod has frequent switch defects). Folks here will give lots of good suggestions on simple vape systems all much better in performance and cost than those closed pod systems.

In answer to your original questions;
  • What causes spitback and/or dribbling into mouth. - excess juice on the coil which itself can be caused by a number of things
  • Nasty burnt flavor/smell. - too little juice on the coil when you fire it and/or a build up of juice sludge from use, the latter normally means it's time to change the wick & coil (or pod)
  • What to use to clean a pod, or the tank on a refillable device like iCare? - normally simply rinsing it with water is enough, the juice is water soluble, be careful not to get the inner electrics wet though
  • When refilling a "closed" system pod, how to know when it's time to throw out the pod? - I've never had one of those systems but have read that when you get the burnt taste, the pod starts leaking, or the pod stops working for vapor are the times to give it the heave ho, most of these pods make it difficult to re-wick and near impossible to re-coil them since their creators want more of your money
  • On refillable systems like iCare, do the coil and wick wear out, and how to know when to replace them? - they don't wear out as much as get gummed up from the vaped juice and as the coil gets gummed the residue will start to burn and give that awful taste
Your questions and the answers generally apply to all systems, pod or not.

Thanks for the reply. Great answers. I wanted to add another generic problem/question:
  • What causes the gurgly or bubbly noise you seem to get sometimes with all systems? I think it's kind of pleasant except when it's accompanied by spitback (not always but usually). Any potential solutions?

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
flooding is exactly as it sounds, you have too much juice on the coil and it's causing the noise and spitback. the coils are pretty tiny in those, i'd only put a drop or two at most... as for getting rid of the excess, i'm not sure with those, what i normally would do, wouldn't work with them.

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
So yeah you kind of anticipated my next question, once it gets flooded, what to do about it? Messing around with iCare I have gone through about 6 coils and counting. I don't even know if there's anything wrong with them. If you're curious see posts at All Things about the Eleaf iCare & iCare Mini

Reactions: Cheallaigh

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
I guess you're mod girl? Out of curiosity, because I'm trying to get at general problems and solutions, what would you do to your mod if you had the same problems? Any simple shortcuts like flush it with PG or soak it in something or let it dry overnight? Any way to get the excess out of there? Or do I have to toss the coils that may have gotten flooded?

Reactions: Cheallaigh

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You can do things with flooded coils usually. On a mod you can simply turn up the power and blast.
Otherwise, removing the coil and blowing it might work. Leaving it on the side overnight?
The real trouble of course is what made it happen in the first place. That's more of either a design or power issue.
For example. I use GS coils. They come in two version, old and new. The old has 2 holes and the new 4. If you use the 4 hole version under 15w it floods. If you use the 2 hole version over 15w it burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread