Doff, is this little cutie wild ???

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
You're mixing things up badly.

You need to separate regulated from mechanical when speaking theory.

In mechanical we talk battery voltage and sag because that's what the coil sees minus resistance losses from the mod.

In regulated you set what the coil sees and your voltage reading (if there is one) would be of the battery at a resting state after the voltage has recovered from work performed.

Yihi isn't falsifying anything. It's a regulation chip. If the battery is freshly charged, it will show 4.2. The reading will be at rest after the battery V has recovered.

Your boxer is regulated and doesn't show the theory Doffy is speaking of.

What is happening at the battery is largely ignored when speaking of regulated mods. Though it's not completely irrelevant, it's different and doesn't speak to what's happening at the coil.

#2 yes... but the batteries split the current with each cell only outputting half the circuit current.

#3 a mech mod is what it's designed to be. It's possible that someone will design one that will have a parallel or series conversion. But a parallel mech is a parallel mech and a series mech is a series mech.

With series you DON'T want to run super low builds. Putting double voltage QUADRUPLES the current.

BUT!!! You can put twice the power (wattage) at less current with twice the voltage (and higher resistance) and have less strain on your batteries.

BUT!!! Your builds will be way different.

Always remember:

Mech: coil sees voltage of battery including sag

Regulated: coil sees voltage regulated chip puts out according to your setting despite battery voltage.

Chip just pulls more current from batteries to maintain its setting as the battery drains.

Tapatyped

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So what then - based on your rely. Is the boxer displaying next to the resistance in this image. ? Because it sure seems like it's the total voltage of the pair of batteries given how it changes as the batteries are drained.

a202d5738089ba7eed75b3ed87f01518.jpg

To the left of the battery looks like its the requirement based on the resistance and below the battery looks like it's what's available from the pair of batteries. But I'm not sure. It seems that way to me.

And if that is it the. It's illustrating the point discussed previously about the dual battery mechs right ?

The number changes when fired so I think it is displaying as I previously discussed. Maybe you can clear me up on what else it would be. Isles the appear it's just displaying after recovery as it's live.

So with the new cc mods being series you can run anything within spec of one battery regarding amperage and you'd be fine?

Reactions: Slots

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
So what then - based on your rely. Is the boxer displaying next to the resistance in this image. ?

The 8 V is the 2 batteries in series and what is available to the chip to regulate and out put to the coil. It will sag as the chip draws power to send to the coil, same as an unregulated series mod.

Then you see the coil resistance measured by the chip.

The 4 V number is the voltage sent to the coil to hit the selected power (watts) based on the coil resistance (within the current limits of the chip). It doesn't sage because the regulation maintains the voltage.

The 8 V reading is for current battery state. It has no practical effect on the voltage to the coil, which is the whole point of a regulated mod.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Thanks for the detailed explanation. So what then - based on your rely. Is the boxer displaying next to the resistance in this image. ? Because it sure seems like it's the total voltage of the pair of batteries given how it changes as the batteries are drained.

a202d5738089ba7eed75b3ed87f01518.jpg

To the left of the battery looks like its the requirement based on the resistance and below the battery looks like it's what's available from the pair of batteries. But I'm not sure. It seems that way to me.

And if that is it the. It's illustrating the point discussed previously about the dual battery mechs right ?

The number changes when fired so I think it is displaying as I previously discussed. Maybe you can clear me up on what else it would be. Isles the appear it's just displaying after recovery as it's live.

You seem to be correct on the boxer battery V display.

Admittedly I'm completely ignorant on new regulated mods.

I'm just uninterested.

So with the new cc mods being series you can run anything within spec of one battery regarding amperage and you'd be fine?

Yes

BUT!!!!!!!

It's *!VERY!* important that current be calculated with 8.4 as your voltage.

Tapatyped

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
Just a note:

As Beck said for unregulated (and PWM) calculate max Amps at max battery voltage.

However for regulated DC to DC down and up converters it's different. With DC converters one must think in terms of power in equals power out plus inefficiency.

Amperage and voltage values loose their meanings temporarily when power is converted into a magnetic field in the inductor. The regulation part of the circuit keeps the output constant so as battery voltage drops it demands more amperage from the batteries to maintain the power output. Due to this with a regulated DC to DC coverter battery amperage should be calculated based on the lowest battery voltage.

So for example say the input cutoff is 6.0V, the maximum power output is 50 Watts, and the minimum efficiency of the converter is 90%.

50 Watts output + 10% inefficiency = input Watts
50 Watts X 1.1 = input Watts = 55 Watts input

55 Watts input = 6.0V input X Amperage input
55 Watts / 6.0V = 9.167 Amps

Had it been calculated at 8.4V input:
55 Watts input / 8.4 V input = 6.55 Amps input

I only mention this in case one is building a DIY regulated with one of the available DC buck or boost converters.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
(and PWM)

:?:

I'm thinking of the old vamos and Provaris with buck/boost converting to 6V and PWM.

I would still calculate at battery cutoff voltage.

I can't think of a regulated device that would work differently for calculating safe battery limits.

Help me out here.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread