Stepping into DIY... for real this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
So, I tried to jump into DIY too early. I didn't even know my own preferred flavor profiles. I had ordered a handful of flavors and tried a few things and then just let it sit for about a year. Fast forward to November, I was jobless and in a pinch. I had the flavors and bases, and a few 30 ml bottle of juice I didn't like sitting in a box. I diluted the "leftovers" (they were 3 and 6 nic and I've been on 1.5 for a while now) and mixed up from there. I had some great success considering what I was working with.

Now I'm gainfully employed and armed with a gift from a friend (a solid recipe for my go to ADV juice flavoring brand and exact details. He worked at the local shop, but has since left.) I've ordered some more VG, I still have plenty PG and ordered enough nic base to to get a solid start, all from a forum supplier.

I know what I need to make a solid flavor (cucumber mint, my all day every day) and actually know what I like (fruits, mild mints, some beverages) and even know some tricks on flavor interactions (melons and strawberries can add sweetness in careful amounts.)

What's the next step? Aside from blending my own stand by for all day enjoyment. While it was necessary to "fix" my own juice, I found I enjoyed the challenge and made some tasty juice out of what I had on hand. Now I'm a little low on what I had, and know a few flavors I won't be ordering again.

Aside form flavor calculators, do you fink folk have any recommended reading?
Should I stick to tying to replicate recipes I know and like to get started?
Are there some general tips that get lost in the forest that is this forum?

I'm trying to be less ambitious than I was when I tried DIY the first time, but I'd still like to do more than make 1 flavor super cheaply. In my dark days, I found blending fruits wasn't too tricky and was pleased with my results. I want to improve, where do I go from here.

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Sounds to me like you're off on a great start! If I were you, so you have success right off the bat...I'd stick at first with recipes you have and know you like, as you mentioned.

There are several threads with recipes in them (ie. the newly created Recipes for Dummies discussion, the long-running TFA discussion, etc.). The internet is also full of eliquid recipe sites. If you use them, try to pick ones that are liked by many and are top-rated.

There are also some wonderful flavorings that you can add just your own plain VG, plain PG, and Nic base to. OSDIY Shop has their own proprietary ones called "One Stop Flavors" and "One Stop Blends". There are many on here who DIY that like them a lot! Several discussions on them as well on here.

Just remember, everyone's tastes vary a great deal. What someone says is wonderful at x%...may be too strong or too weak for your liking. NO recipe is set in stone, and has to be made exactly as the person who made it up, especially where the % of flavorings used. It was made up according to that person's likes. Altering the brands of flavorings though, may very well change it, so if possible you'll probably want to use the same ones if possible.

Welcome to DIY again, and be careful not to fall down "the rabbit hole" of collecting many many flavorings. Many of us have fallen down it and are even still falling further down it! It IS definitely fun, though many of us wonder how we ever got so many flavorings! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveP

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
For what it's worth this is what I have on hand and have ordered:
VG: enough for me, I killed my quart bottle after a full year of light mixing. So, I've ordered another quart which should hold for some time.
PG: I'm down to about a fourth left of my 16 oz bottle, I'll order more later this month.
Nic base: 250 ml of 60 mg nic base on the way. As simple math says a little over 5 ml makes a 100 ml bottle at 1.5 I should be good for a bit. I bought small because I don't want to get too much and fall off. I think this will be plenty for now.

120 ml Flavor West Cucumber Mint My go to all day vape. Absolute worst case this is what I vape. I'll be mixing this into 100 ml batches and following the local stores recipe and/or letting my friend help me to make it at home on the cheap. At the very least I'm committed to make my own standby.

Leftovers from the first try:
DIY Flavor Shack flavors: Started at 10ml, most less than half by now
Blood Orange
Holy Holy Grail RY4 (near full, didn't like or need)
Bavarian Cream (near full, not quite sure how to use it to my likeing)
Sweetener
Ethyl Malto Sweetener (almost empty)
Rum (2/3 full, not impressed. All the rum burn, no rum tone)

Flavour Art: Started at 10 ml
Grape (almost out, should order more grape)
Peach (same)
Grapefruit (1/4 left not bad for a citrus kick)
Cucumber (1/4 mixed with menthol does not make C mint, but mixed with honeydew or cantaloupe is tasty)

Flavor Apprentice Also 10 ml starts
Cantaloupe (1/2 full very strong and sweet. Good but I use it lightly.)
Honeydew (1/4 full. great flavor, mixes well. a touch overpowering)
Key Lime (less than 1/4 solid flavor, but the citrus kicks hard)
Strawberry (1/4 good solid flavor. I should get some more of this.)
Pear (1/2 full. good, if mild. Should keep experimenting with this.)

Capella 13 ml
Watermelon (solid melony flavor, paired well with Grape 1/2 full)

Flavor West 10 ml
Prickly Pear (1/2 full. Blend with a touch of lime, rum and a super light dash of melon makes a fine Prickly Pear Margarita juice.)

Menthol Crystals I've got a little left.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
Welcome to DIY again, and be careful not to fall down "the rabbit hole" of collecting many many flavorings. Many of us have fallen down it and are even still falling further down it! It IS definitely fun, though many of us wonder how we ever got so many flavorings! :)

Did an inventory and found that to be very true!!!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Well, I see that you definitely like the "fruity" flavorings, and have a good variety of them so far. Also, that you've already gotten a good start partially down that rabbit hole! :)

Since Bavarian Cream is the only "blender" type of flavoring it looks like you have, you may want to think about ordering some more of that type flavoring to mix with your fruits. Maybe some of these from TFA or another brand: Sweet Cream, Vanilla Swirl, Whipped Cream, Vanilla Cupcake, Vanilla Bean ice Cream, etc. They're all ones that are pretty commonly found in many recipes.

If you've never tried TFA Strawberry Ripe before, it's a really good Strawberry. Also, alittle of both the reg. TFA Strawberry along with the Ripe...makes a really tasty strawberry blend. The Ripe also doesn't have the ethyl alcohol in it that the reg. Strawberry does, that really needs to be evaporated off before you vape it.

ETA: I forgot to add Vanilla Custard to the list of good "blenders", though TFA says their Vanilla Swirl is the same formula as their VC, but without the "custard notes" that might be undesirable like acetoin, etc.

Also, TFA Banana Cream is another good one, especially to use with the TFA Strawberry flavorings. Makes a wonderful "NannerBerry" eliquid, when you mix TFA Strawberry Ripe - 6%, TFA Strawberry - 3%, TFA Banana Cream - 6%, and TFA Cotton Candy - 2%. Of course, those are % according to my tastes and the way I vape. Yours may very well need to be different.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
As to reading:
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Hoosier's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Boletus's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
I would let existing recipes dictate what flavors I might like to mix. Could check:
Best Recipe of 2015! (Contest) • /r/DIY_eJuice
As to experimenting by making your own mixes, go for it, if you want to.
where do I go from here
I would decide on 3-4 recipes I really would like to try. The recipes would contain flavors I have or would want to purchase and try. If purchasing new flavors or replacing existing flavors, I would do a search and make sure I'm purchasing the most highly rated flavor (within my price range) when compared to other blenders of the same flavor. If you like most of the flavors you have now, keep them and reorder the same.

Reactions: dobroeutro

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
Not gonna lie, I did alright with my 2x 10 ml multi-packs the first time I ordered flavors, I just didn't have the skill and motivation to use them right. I'm real proud of what I mixed when broke, but I learned the first lesson:
Lesson 1: accurate measurement and record keeping in essential to being able to bottle lightning

I think I'll try to get another multi pack after researching a few recipies and finding some things they have in common.

Side note: Has anyone reverse engineered Vape Wild's Slytherin Sauce?

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Side note: Has anyone reverse engineered Vape Wild's Slytherin Sauce?

"Professor Snipes' Slytherin Sauce" is Vape Wild's knockoff of "Snake Oil" from Seduce Juice (they even mention "snake oil" in the description).

Here's a well rated Snake Oil clone published about 3 years ago.
From -Lars @ ELR, as adapted from lcu812 on Reddit / DIY_eJuice
All flavors TFA:
8% Bavarian Cream
1% Coconut Extra
0.5% Cotton Candy (10% EM/Ethyl Maltol)
5% Pear

Even easier: Vape Wild sells the flavor concentrate, which you can use for a one-shot mix.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So, I tried to jump into DIY too early. I didn't even know my own preferred flavor profiles. I had ordered a handful of flavors and tried a few things and then just let it sit for about a year. Fast forward to November, I was jobless and in a pinch. I had the flavors and bases, and a few 30 ml bottle of juice I didn't like sitting in a box. I diluted the "leftovers" (they were 3 and 6 nic and I've been on 1.5 for a while now) and mixed up from there. I had some great success considering what I was working with.

Now I'm gainfully employed and armed with a gift from a friend (a solid recipe for my go to ADV juice flavoring brand and exact details. He worked at the local shop, but has since left.) I've ordered some more VG, I still have plenty PG and ordered enough nic base to to get a solid start, all from a forum supplier.

I know what I need to make a solid flavor (cucumber mint, my all day every day) and actually know what I like (fruits, mild mints, some beverages) and even know some tricks on flavor interactions (melons and strawberries can add sweetness in careful amounts.)

What's the next step? Aside from blending my own stand by for all day enjoyment. While it was necessary to "fix" my own juice, I found I enjoyed the challenge and made some tasty juice out of what I had on hand. Now I'm a little low on what I had, and know a few flavors I won't be ordering again.

I'm trying to be less ambitious than I was when I tried DIY the first time, but I'd still like to do more than make 1 flavor super cheaply. In my dark days, I found blending fruits wasn't too tricky and was pleased with my results. I want to improve, where do I go from here.

Welcome back,

My advice is stick with what you know works until you settle in and have an ample supply to vape. Then venture out using what you know works and change that up ever so slightly. Minute changes can cause a dramatic change in a vape in a very positive way if done systematically along the lines of what you know you already like. Most importantly keep careful notes.

For support and unanswered questions read my blog. It's all right there.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Last edited:

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Who knew the Slytherin Sauce was so close! Being I had Pear and Bavarian Cream (no Coconut) I mixed it up in a 30 ml no nic. While I can taste that it's missing "something" it is really close. I know what the something is and plan on ordering it, but man that makes me giddy.

Mwa Ha Ha!!!

Reactions: man00ver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread