• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How old were you when you came "out"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Hi, I have read many of the stories here, while thinking back on my own. I can't really say I ever came out as that suggests I was hidden away, and while like a few of you I am from the south and in my 40's now, for the most part I grew up on the west coast.

Add to that being a bi female, I never got the why's or any of that. It is only my mom and dad that never knew, with my mom's health as bad as it was I didn't think they needed any added stress. Then I lost them both the year I turned 25, so they never meet one of my girlfriends.

I did however tell my sister when I was in my late teens, guess you could say the biggest surprise there was I found out we where more alike that I had ever thought. As she is 11 years older we where never all that close.

Heavy Smoker

Jan 3, 2016
It has been a year and a half since the last entry here, so perhaps this thread is dead. Nonetheless, I searched under "gay" after having been a member now for six weeks (when I stopped smoking and started vaping). I do hope it is still active because, while being LGBT has nothing to do with vaping, smoking/bars/drinking was a big part of gay culture when I came out in 1983. Meeting a guy over a cigarette and a beer at a bar was common for me anyway. So smoking and being gay are sort of linked in my mind. Thus I'm really happy to see vaping and the LGBT community linked up here.

I came out to my friends at 23, my work colleagues at 30 and my parents at 35. Slowly, but surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread