When is it quitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troubled1

Jan 26, 2017
On December 17 2016 at 10:21 am I smoked my last cigarette (41 days as of today). I had strep throat and try as I might it just burned too much.

I went to a local vape shop and picked up my eGo AIO and a couple e-juices.

I figured I'm just smoke free. When is it considered quitting? I refuse to say I quit until I've been smoke free for a minimum of one year.

How long did you go before you said you quit??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NCC

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I smoked my last cigarette, and became a non-smoker around 10AM Central Time on January 15, 2010. Even though I hadn't planned to quit, that's when it happened.

I still consume nicotine, but there is no combustion, nor the thousands of mostly toxic chemicals and particulate produced by that combustion, aka smoke. If you ask me, if there's no smoke, it can't be called smoking.

On the other hand, if you don't have the certainty I had from the beginning ... well, I reckon you'll have to answer the question yourself. I drowned any shadow of doubt I had by pouring money on vaping and becoming obsessed with it as a hobby. Once I had a few thousand dollars invested I knew I was in it for good, heh. But, within days I had the odd sensation of not wanting a cigarette, this after smoking a carton per week for 35 years. And I had a stockpile of cartons in hand at the time.

I am aware it isn't as easy for everyone and I do consider myself fortunate. I wish you success!

Last edited:

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
I quit July 2, 2013. I had already made up my mind that I was going to make the e-cigs work, no matter what I had to do.

I'd smoked about 45 years, and I knew it was killing me: acute bronchitis several times a year and short of breath all the time. Not to mention the awful smell around me and the house, the stale ashtrays, the money spent, the social stigma.

It was fairly easy at first, then several months in, I kind of wanted to go back. I tried smelling a fresh pack of cigarettes from a family member, but it didn't really appeal to me. I could remember coughing and choking from lighting up, so it turned me off.

I guess it depends on where you are in your journey or how miserable you are at the moment. I was miserable enough to quit, and I'm extremely thankful I don't smoke now.

That's not to say I NEVER think about it on an odd occasion, but it's not a crave thing.

Troubled1

Jan 26, 2017
I smoked for at least 42 years. Getting sick and not being able to smoke was a blessing in disguise. I never smoked in the house and I treat vaping the same as I did with smoking. Vaping is done in the garage and I don't vape when the kids are in the car with me.

I love the fact that my fingers aren't stained, I don't smell like a dirty ashtray, my car doesn't stink and when I told my dental hygienist I hadn't smoked in 39 days, she polished my teeth and didn't charge me. She said that just by the confidence I showed she knew it was permanent.

So far I'm lucky that I have actually dropped a couple lbs instead of gaining. I am walking 10k steps daily and lifting 3x/week. If I'm going to improve my health I may as well do it right.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
On December 17 2016 at 10:21 am I smoked my last cigarette (41 days as of today). I had strep throat and try as I might it just burned too much.

I figured I'm just smoke free. When is it considered quitting? I refuse to say I quit until I've been smoke free for a minimum of one year.

I never actually officially quit. That would just make me want to smoke more. I simply chose to see how long I could go without a cigarette.

But, I smoked my last cigarette on February 27, 2011. It'll be 6 years next month. So, I never quit. I just don't smoke.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
If I'm asked I usually say I'm "smoke free" or "not smoking" It'll most likely be a year before I use the term "quit."
'Stopped' and 'quit' mean almost the same thing. But, 'quit' has a lot more attitude and seems more like swearing an oath.

I prefer 'stopped'. Simple and factual. Yes.

I stopped smoking.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
'Stopped' and 'quit' mean almost the same thing. But, 'quit' has a lot more attitude and seems more like swearing an oath.

I prefer 'stopped'. Simple and factual. Yes.

I stopped smoking.
We all have to do this in our own way.
I prefer 'switched', for the nit pickers who can't get over that I'm still consuming nicotine.
For a number of years now, cigarettes haven't really even crossed my mind - until I returned to ECF recently.
I switched my method of delivery from the known killer, cigarettes, to a far less harmful means.
As we all know, it ain't nicotine which is the big killer, it's smoke ... and that's what we've all decided to avoid.

By your line of thinking, yes I have absolutely quit. There's no way in hell, even if somehow deprived of vaping, that I could ever again become a smoker. The nicotine addiction is still there. But I know for certain the physical addiction is far less intense than it was when I was a smoker, and the disgust for cigarettes in my mind is stronger than whatever level of addiction that remains. Lots of times I hold and mouth my APV without even drawing on it. I'd be OK. The hand-to-mouth thing remains strong. That's what made it so easy for me to dump cigarettes, I think, I didn't have to give that aspect of smoking up.

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I considered myself to have quit the night before I started vaping exclusively. It wasnt a conscious decision I made as in going to bed saying "Im never smoking again". But about a week after buying my first evod pen style and finding a flavor and nic level I liked I just started using it more and the analogs less, until one night before bed I realized that I hadnt smoked a cigarette since the night before. The next day was the same and then a week went by and I still wasnt missing the smokes. A month later I called it official and bought myself some new gear to celebrate the accomplishment, but I still consider myself to have quit the moment I smoked my last cigarette!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Just before I started to vape i promised myself I would smoke a cig whenever I wanted without guilt. Immediately my cigs went from 25 to 5 with no effort and stayed there. Six weeks into vaping I decided to try for zero cigs and it worked. i can still smoke a cig when ever I want one, which is never. They taste awful. Vaping is an entirely superior indulgence plus I feel better plus, instead of $3,000 a year to smoke a carton a week, my year supply of DIY costs less than $30. I didn't quit smoking. i lost interest.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I considered myself to have quit the night before I started vaping exclusively. It wasnt a conscious decision I made as in going to bed saying "Im never smoking again". But about a week after buying my first evod pen style and finding a flavor and nic level I liked I just started using it more and the analogs less, until one night before bed I realized that I hadnt smoked a cigarette since the night before. The next day was the same and then a week went by and I still wasnt missing the smokes. A month later I called it official and bought myself some new gear to celebrate the accomplishment, but I still consider myself to have quit the moment I smoked my last cigarette!

That's right @Darth Omerta I have 8 more hours because I woke up and decided that was it no more! So I actually quit the night before!

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, being miserable was motivation. I bought a set-up and filled the tank set it for the next day. I awoke and vaper only. By lunch time, I realized that Nic requirement was covered by the 36mg juice.

It gave me confidence. Confidence was then my strength.

P.S. I dropped down in Nic fast at first. I wanted to be able to take more than one draw per hour.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
There are accounts of people stopping smoking the moment they start vaping. Good for them. I was a dual user deliberately to give myself time to figure out the vaping thing. The six weeks of dual using built confidence. A short time later I started a brother vaping and told him to focus on vaping and not worry about stopping smoking. He was a dual user for 10 months. I was getting worried may be I gave him the wrong advice but it worked out in the end. What ever happens, don't stop vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread