Hi guys! Question about coils!

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntress88

Feb 16, 2017
Helloooooo, all! Figured I'd follow instructions and introduce myself! Been vaping almost a year. Found some good setups and love my current one. Except oooone thing...

Recently acquired a TFV8. Love it. Great flavor on the quad-barrel T8 and the other coil(Can't remember it's number). BUT! I can only get MAYBE 5 days out of these coils(Both models)! It's driving me insane and the reason I stopped using my Crown 2!!! Everyone I know that vapes has the SAME tank and has none of these issues. It's driving me mad!

I'm priming the coil, letting it soak 15 minutes or more, lower the wattage for the first hour or so(Mostly until I remember that I'd turned it down. Lol.) And it's fine for several days but then flavor dies and slowly become that gross burnt cotton taste.

Anyone having this issue? Or can maybe help me correct what I've been doing? Heeeeeeelp!!!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It's driving me insane and the reason I stopped using my Crown 2!!! Everyone I know that vapes has the same tank and has none of these issues.

Dear @huntress88

We all wish things were different, but sadly it's all just a crapshoot. Watch a few reviews and talk to a few people and we're all fed this information about coil life and reliability from factory coils. The way I see it, a coil can last from just a few days to a week or so but it's so dependent on liquids/flavors/power/juice-flow, so many things.

You are doing the right things with the priming etc. There's not much more you can do.
I have watched what happens to coils in RDAs and it's simply so random. I've seen my RDA coil and wick be ruined in 48 hours just vaping it at home (so not even work) and yet upstairs now I have an RDA that has been sucking up the juice for 8 days and the coils are just fine.

My solution is not the same as most people want to hear which is to buy coils at the best price (China in my case) and just take the rough with the smooth. I heard a great story about reputed coil life on a specific iSub coil and ordered 2 x 5 packs. So far, not one has made more than 5 days.
I guess I'm paying around $1.25 per coil (Smok are going to be more expensive) and I can live with that even if the coils only last 2 days.

Mostly, I think it's a juice issue, I really do. The cleaner the juice, the more the longevity.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
It sounds to me like a juice issue. Too much sweetener added to the liquid can cause the coils to "gunk up" more quickly.
I agres completely.

I use an RTA. (Kayfun) my coiks last about three months. Every few days remove wick Dry burn Kanthal coil insert another wick and km vaping in about two minutes.

Reactions: Eskie

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I agree completely.

I use an RTA. (Kayfun) my coiks last about three months. Every few days remove wick Dry burn Kanthal coil insert another wick and km vaping in about two minutes.

I agree +2

The coils themselves can go on for a long time if you can get the cotton out and burn off the gunk.

I think my record is also < 3 months.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Welcome to ECF! Coils get gunked up/mucked up from the sweeteners and flavorings used in e-liquid...it's the nature of the beast. Some liquids do not gunk as quickly as others. You can try cleaning your coils in hot water, best to hold them with a set of pliers and really let some hot water flow through the coil, and after your down blow right through the coil and help push that water out. Then let it dry on a widowsill or near a radiator or someplace warm before using it again...might get a bit more mileage out of them that way. You can always go the rebuildable deck route, and you'll notice much better life out of your setup that way. It'll seem a bit daunting at first, but you eventually get the hang of it, and there's always this community to help you along your way.

Reactions: Eskie

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
Helloooooo, all! Figured I'd follow instructions and introduce myself! Been vaping almost a year. Found some good setups and love my current one. Except oooone thing...

Recently acquired a TFV8. Love it. Great flavor on the quad-barrel T8 and the other coil(Can't remember it's number). BUT! I can only get MAYBE 5 days out of these coils(Both models)! It's driving me insane and the reason I stopped using my Crown 2!!! Everyone I know that vapes has the SAME tank and has none of these issues. It's driving me mad!

I'm priming the coil, letting it soak 15 minutes or more, lower the wattage for the first hour or so(Mostly until I remember that I'd turned it down. Lol.) And it's fine for several days but then flavor dies and slowly become that gross burnt cotton taste.

Anyone having this issue? Or can maybe help me correct what I've been doing? Heeeeeeelp!!!
Hi huntress and welcome!
just curious as to what wattage(s) your using for the T8 coil in the CloudBeast (TFV8)
1268e1dde4e18a8aa2e9bf2068c584f2.jpg
It puzzles me why your coils are crapping out so soon...All three Beast tanks shown here has the T8 coil installed and I get about 6-7wks out of them vaping all three in my daily rotation..rated up to 260w with 120-180w best my sweet spot is 125-130w with 100%vg.. go figure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapDragon NY

huntress88

Feb 16, 2017
Hi huntress and welcome!
just curious as to what wattage(s) your using for the T8 coil in the CloudBeast (TFV8)
1268e1dde4e18a8aa2e9bf2068c584f2.jpg
It puzzles me why your coils are crapping out so soon...All three Beast tanks shown here has the T8 coil installed and I get about 6-7wks out of them vaping all three in my daily rotation..rated up to 260w with 120-180w best my sweet spot is 125-130w with 100%vg.. go figure

It's on 90 watts. Which is outside of the 'best' range. I have noticed that I need to keep the tank filled well over the holes for wicking. And you run your cloudbeast like my sister does! It was the main reason I got it!

Reactions: smacksy

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
It's on 90 watts. Which is outside of the 'best' range. I have noticed that I need to keep the tank filled well over the holes for wicking. And you run your cloudbeast like my sister does! It was the main reason I got it!
These coils were designed for blowing clouds at higher wattages..Running yours at 90w instead of at least 120w could be the cause of poor longevity .. I've always found the people who built these coils knows what wattages work... I follow their advice, just sayin :)

huntress88

Feb 16, 2017
These coils were designed for blowing clouds at higher wattages..Running yours at 90w instead of at least 120w could be the cause of poor longevity .. I've always found the people who built these coils knows what wattages work... I follow their advice, just sayin :)

Lol. Makes sense, I suppose. I'll give it a try.

Reactions: smacksy

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Tanks need a lot of TLC, hang in there.
Might like to read:
TFV8 leaking
Tank Flooding Explained | Learning Center | VaVaVape
Tank type atomizers... For new vapists - how they work | E-Cigarette Forum
TFV8 leaking

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I'd side with the folks suggesting it is your juice. Running with a low power setting shouldn't hurt and most likely actually helps. Since you are getting the burnt taste only after using the coil for days it sounds not like a wicking issue but a build up of gunk on the coil which itself is starting to burn. Does the burn taste show up all of a sudden (wicking issue) or slowly building up and getting worse with use (juice issue). My TFV8 coils seem to last a lot longer than 5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread