Status
Not open for further replies.

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
I am flying into Cancun from the US in 2 weeks. Any issues from Mexican customs arriving or security departing Cancun?
Everything will be in my carry on. 3 small mods, batteries separate in a case, 4 tanks, coils, charging cords, eliquid.

I went through Mexico City twice last year but just in transit and had no problems. I think it is illegal to import for sale but this is personal use.

I know I won't have issues departing/arriving the US - have done that many times.

Thanks for any insights.

Reactions: smacuser

Bahamaman

Jul 24, 2016
Ft. Worth, TX
I've been through that airport a half dozen times with vape gear.

Best scenario: you get a green light. Home free!

If you get the dreaded red light, I have heard stories going both ways. A couple of times the gear was confiscated, sometimes not. The problem, from what I've read, is that importing vape gear isn't lawful, but vaping is.

Reactions: jackson.julia

tazzle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2014
Athens, Greece
I've added this to my "watched" threads just to see how it turns out; please do let us know! I would be surprised if there was trouble, because most countries with vaping bans that rely to any degree on tourism / business travel apparently don't much care what you bring just for your own use. On the other hand, we've seen so much wacky stuff from US Customs and Border Control lately, maybe all NA border stuff might be turning weirder / more authoritarian.

The last time I traveled internationally, I was really just mostly worried about US TSA, and while they certainly weren't a barrel of fun, at least they didn't give [edited] about my vaping stuff. Still, I only brought cheap(er) things that I could throw away without crying. Tougher situation if you can't buy replacements once you're at the destination, obvs. Good luck! I bet it will go fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nelsonm64

westhc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2013
I had the green light going through customs in Cancun so no problems for me. Have no idea what might have happened if the red light and search had come up. Will be flying out of Cancun this weekend and don't expect any problems. I know there are no issues returning through US customs. Have done that many times.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I am flying into Cancun from the US in 2 weeks. Any issues from Mexican customs arriving or security departing Cancun?
    Everything will be in my carry on. 3 small mods, batteries separate in a case, 4 tanks, coils, charging cords, eliquid.

I went through Mexico City twice last year but just in transit and had no problems. I think it is illegal to import for sale but this is personal use.

I know I won't have issues departing/arriving the US - have done that many times.

Thanks for any insights.

Going through Cancun to Tulum on the 13th. I'm taking 2-3 mods, 6 batts and as much juice that'll fit in a Freedom bag.

Leaving the charger at home because I doubt I will go though more batts in a week than usual; all carry on, all on top of my bag.

Last edited:

westhc

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 13, 2013
    I took a [edited] pen down there with no issues but the thing was tiny...

But did you get the "green light" entering Mexico? It would probably help travelers to know if there are any issues if you get the random "red light" where your bags are searched. I had green, which is limited to the bags going through x-ray, entering through Cancun and through Chetumal so no search, no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: LaraC

GreenFord

Dec 31, 2013
    Left DFW on 4-13. I had 2 Endura T22 batteries and 1 half filled tank in my carry on vape case. I had 5 tanks in pill bottles and my juice in checked baggage. TSA had no problem with the carry on. Landed in Cancun and no problems. Left Cancun 4-18 and no problems. Landed at DFW and no problems. Be sure and carry your tanks in a pill bottle because they will leak, in your carry on and in checked baggage.

Blue73

Apr 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    In March I traveled to Cozumel with my family for a week's of vacation. We vacation in Mexico twice a year, and I have been carrying my vape gear for the past 4 years. Every time we got the green light. Except this last time, we got red. I was carrying two mods and tanks, 4 RBAs, 6 coils, cotton, tools, and about a dozen 60ml bottles of diy juice (I tend to overpack the juice, just in case). The customs agent opened up every suitcase, did a cursory look/feel, zipped everything up, and sent us on our way. 30 seconds, maybe.

Blue73

Apr 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Oh, I have to add that there has been confusion regarding boarding flights from Mexico back to the US. Up until recently, Mexico required all lithium batteries to be in your checked luggage, and the FAA recently requires them to be in carry-on only. This created some confusion, so when we were headed back, I was concerned that they may confiscate my 18650's. They didn't take my batteries, but they took a small Phillips screwdriver; the same screwdriver that I have taken thru TSA checkpoints for years. Go figure.

chuck333

ECF Veteran
    Sep 26, 2016
    Niagara Region Ontario Canada
    There may be local vape shops but it's been my experience that the vape gear in Mexico is triple what you would pay in Canada or the U.S. and the juice is horrid at best. If you carry your machine in your pocket you're likely not going to get it confiscated no matter what colour light you get. They aren't going to body-search you and there's no such thing as nicotine sniffing dogs. You can put your juice in another toiletry bottle, say hand cream or even a shampoo bottle and nobody would know the difference. If they ask, I might tell, because lying can get you in more trouble than it's worth but they probably won't ask anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread