How do you prefer to mea sure your recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Volume or ml? Same thing, there are only two choices.

I've owned gram scales for decades and use them for weighing objects, powders, and other non-liquid substances.

Liquids are best measured by volume. Otherwise, their density must be factored into calculations to know 'how much' to use. An unnecessary complication. All of the recipes I've seen give measurements by percentage volume, or milliliters, or drops ... all volume, the way it should be. Measuring by drop count is very imprecise though, as different viscosity liquids and different dropper types produce different size drops.

I use syringes, pipettes, and beakers. Graduated cylinders might be useful too, but I don't presently own one.

High precision can be had with the smaller syringes and pipettes, like 0.01ml which is plenty precise enough even for highly concentrated flavorings. I have found pipettes to be a bit problematic with highly viscous liquids. But, with a 14 gauge needle on a syringe there's no problem.

Just another person's opinion. Thanks for letting me speak. :~)
"Liquids are best measured by volume. Otherwise, their density must be factored into calculations to know 'how much' to use."

Thank you for posting this. I was just coming back to basically say the same thing. I had always read that(on these forums) that all were equal ml = grams on a 1:1 basis. Not true. At least for me. Almost every recipe I tried while weighing out my ingredients, did not taste the same to me as when I measure with volume(ml). I may just have an extra sensitive pallet but I also believe that whatever works for you go for it.

There is no wrong way to do DIY as long as it is repeatable.

Bigbryantn

Nov 20, 2016
Tn
"Liquids are best measured by volume. Otherwise, their density must be factored into calculations to know 'how much' to use."

Thank you for posting this. I was just coming back to basically say the same thing. I had always read that(on these forums) that all were equal ml = grams on a 1:1 basis. Not true. At least for me. Almost every recipe I tried while weighing out my ingredients, did not taste the same to me as when I measure with volume(ml). I may just have an extra sensitive pallet but I also believe that whatever works for you go for it.

On the ELR website the calculator has these figures for each flavor put in and makes the adjustments for you.. Some are same gram to ml but other that are 1 ml might weigh 1.07 grams. (Example only) If I didn't use this recipe builder one time to get the correct numbers then I would use volume only to make a repeatable ejuice.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I started out using syringes with blunt tip needles. I finally bought a 0.00 gram scale and I love it. I still use the 1 or 3 ml syringe for getting my nic out of the bottle. Do you prefer measuring by volume, weight, or ml?
I mix 200 ml about once every 5 weeks. I use graduated glass cylinders, a 5 ml cyinder for the alll in one flavoring, a 25 ml for the 20 ml of nic, and a 100 ml cylinder for the PG and VG. I have a steady hand and pour directly into the cylinders except for the flavoring which I drip. May be I'll use a scale someday for everything except the flavoring but the cylinders are what i have right now.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

If you ever want to get to the bottom of "Why" things taste different, next time you do a Mix measuring by Volume, weigh the ml amounts you measured.

Then compare the Actual Weights to the Theoretical Weight they should be.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
That's a variance of 1.4 drops per gram gross variance.
That's well within my margin of error. I'm usually + or - at least 3 tenths of a gram anyway. Never noticed any difference in the final mix, even when I'm off more than my margin.

Maybe it starts to be noticeable with large batches, like 250 ml +?

I use the exact SGs for VG, PG, and nic (actually, I don't do anything, my calc does it for me). For flavors I'm fine with the 1=1 constant. With over 300 flavors in my inventory, it's not worth chasing down exact SG for every flavor and entering them into my calc, and I already know it makes no difference (to me) in the final mix. I started out with my first 50 or so flavors figuring out the exact SG for all of them, but that got old really fast!

It was actually @zoiDman 's remarks that convinced me that consistency and speed are better (for me) than dead zero accuracy.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I had always read that(on these forums) that all were equal ml = grams on a 1:1 basis. Not true. At least for me.
1 milliliter of PG = 1.036 grams
1 milliliter of VG = 1.261 grams
The VG has a density 122% that of PG's.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
If you ever want to get to the bottom of "Why" things taste different, next time you do a Mix measuring by Volume, weigh the ml amounts you measured.

Then compare the Actual Weights to the Theoretical Weight they should be.
Yeah, I thought about that briefly, but then decided I didn't have the time or patience for it. Since I am more than happy with my recipes using the 'volume' measuring this isn't high on my priority list. Since my own 'system' has worked well for me since 2010 I just figured 'if it ain't broke' don't 'fix' it.

I certainly hope that you aren't taking my post as any sort of negative against mixing by weight because that isn't what I intended to convey. I believe that both ways of mixing are just as valid as the other just different methods for arriving at the same goal. It is just personal preference, much like mtl or dl.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
1 milliliter of PG = 1.036 grams
1 milliliter of VG = 1.261 grams
The VG has a density 122% that of PG's.
I knew about the SG for pg and vg and factored that in to my recipe weights.....I should have been more specific and said flavoring was generally acceptable at a 1:1 on some forums. Guess I just have a very sensitive pallet.
:)

Reactions: NCC

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I certainly hope that you aren't taking my post as any sort of negative against mixing by weight because that isn't what I intended to convey. I believe that both ways of mixing are just as valid as the other just different methods for arriving at the same goal. It is just personal preference, much like mtl or dl.

Not at All.

I'm with you. And Most of the People who post in these DIY Threads. The Best way to do DIY is the One that You like the Best.

:)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm another one who measures by volume and loves it! I mix directly into my eliquid dropper bottle (no beakers, graduated cylinders, etc.). The only ingredients I use a couple syringes and maybe 4 blunt needle tips for, are the flavorings and my nic base. The PG and VG are both just poured/squirted from a bottle into the eliquid dropper bottle, to a specified level according to batch size I'm making. Cleanup is maybe 1-2 minutes for all syringes and blunt needle tips. Fast enough for me, too. Have regularly made up to 7 different recipes, 50mL batches of each, in less than 25 minutes total, including clean-up time.

I agree 100% with others who've said the method one chooses should be whatever is preferred by that person. The personal comfort level of using each method, affordability of the materials for each method, steadiness of hands, etc. are all different factors that may influence which method someone chooses. As long as it results in the same thing in the end for all of us (great eliquids custom-made to our own liking)...I don't see why it should matter which method someone else chooses to use.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Is that while standing at Sea Level on a 74 Degree day?

;)
I understand your point, and it's a good one, though if mixing at home in normally the same temp-range, then using a constant like above example will yeild the propper repeatibility anyways. Though not really related to what you correctly stated above either though, so sorry for using your quote for stating a point you already know, and was more ment for others :)

@All, It's not hard at all to do mixing by volume, and those 2 minuttes isn't an issue either for the cleanup, but to me I just seek to optimize everything at all optimizable ;) Why would I spend 2 minuttes on something that could be avoided completelly. I guess it's a difference in personality on how you look at it, and please note i'm not stating one is better than the other here whatsoever. I don't get the point for not choosing scales though. I get "I don't want to, dammit!" :) But not e.g. you need to know the density and it's liquid not solid or recipes online are in percentages. Those are all non-issues for anyone willing to spend 2 minuttes research. As i've stated often, it's only possibly an issue the very first time following an online recipe and who follows an online recipe thinking that it will be spot on anyway and not see it as a tester anyways to adapt to own preferences later on. Usually this will not even matter either, as the very, very slight vartiances would take an incredible sensitive palete to pickup. - And i'm here not talking about equalling 1g=1ml, which obviously is wrong and will skew too much, e.g. for VG amount.

Last edited:

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I'm another one who measures by volume and loves it! I mix directly into my eliquid dropper bottle (no beakers, graduated cylinders, etc.). The only ingredients I use a couple syringes and maybe 4 blunt needle tips for, are the flavorings and my nic base. The PG and VG are both just poured/squirted from a bottle into the eliquid dropper bottle, to a specified level according to batch size I'm making. Cleanup is maybe 1-2 minutes for all syringes and blunt needle tips. Fast enough for me, too. Have regularly made up to 7 different recipes, 50mL batches of each, in less than 25 minutes total, including clean-up time.

I agree 100% with others who've said the method one chooses should be whatever is preferred by that person. The personal comfort level of using each method, affordability of the materials for each method, steadiness of hands, etc. are all different factors that may influence which method someone chooses. As long as it results in the same thing in the end for all of us (great eliquids custom-made to our own liking)...I don't see why it should matter which method someone else chooses to use.
I was expecting you to chime in [emoji2]

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Of course you can meassure liquids by weight. I work in a lab and do it on a daily basis. Why? Because its more precise.
The densities I use are for PG:1 and VG:1,25. Easy enough. I can calculate everything with just whats between my ears.

Due to my profession I have easy access to all kinds of syringes, beakers, what have you. However, since I got my analytical scale, I don't use anything else anymore.
Faster, cleaner, nothing to clean up afterwards.

To dilute my 72mg Nic down to usable 3mg base I use a kitchen scale, which goes down to 1g. For batches of roughly 1L, thats precise enough.
To get my final liquids I use my analytical scale for the flavours, weight them in glas bottles with a rough scale and then fill to desired volume.
The last step is better done by volume IMO, as the density of the base varies with PG/VG ratio.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
At the end of the mix we let it steep and judge it by the flavor we perceive when we vape it. If it's a little weak in flavor we add a few drops of flavor, shake it, and try it again. If the flavor is too hot in the mix we add some unflavored mix.

Perception of flavor in our taste buds varies day to day. It's all good.

I seldom get ALL the ingredients EXACTLY right when I mix by weight. If the recipe calls for 34.821 mg of PG I'll likely hit 35mg once the scale settles. I might stop short and wait for it to settle and then try adding a few drops and still go over a bit. After all, I'm using a plastic squirt bottle! Sometimes I'm so close I impress myself, but I'm likely off some amount on the large volume ingredients. There's always an OOPS factor involved with the tools we use.

I almost always run over on the Nic and that's fine. It's probably a case of a little more is better. 3% may just end up being 3.2% or 1.6 g/ml in a 50ml recipe instead of 1.5.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I seldom get ALL the ingredients EXACTLY right when I mix by weight. If the recipe calls for 34.821 mg of PG I'll likely hit 35mg once the scale settles. I might stop short and wait for it to settle and then try adding a few drops and still go over a bit. After all, I'm using a plastic squirt bottle! Sometimes I'm so close I impress myself, but I'm likely off some amount on the large volume ingredients. There's always an OOPS factor involved with the tools we use.

I almost always run over on the Nic and that's fine. It's probably a case of a little more is better. 3% may just end up being 3.2% or 1.6 g/ml in a 50ml recipe instead of 1.5.

This is why I prefer to measure by volume. If I were measuring solids, say a powder, if I put a little too much on, it's easy to scoop a bit off. I also wouldn't keep adding different powders to the same weighing paper, I'd measure each individually then combine. Whereas if I add too much liquid to a mix, well, that's tough to pull out of the solution. With volume, 0.5 ml on a syringe of flavor is 0.5 ml. If I draw up a little more it's easily rectified.

Precision really doesn't matter as much as consistency. If you have minimal variation from one batch to another, it won't matter as they'll still taste the same. It's all personal preference. We all have our own methods, and we're hardly mixing at an industrial scale in 100 liter batches, so whatever works in your kitchen/juice prep space is the one you should use.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Of course you can meassure liquids by weight. I work in a lab and do it on a daily basis. Why? Because its more precise.

Yup, it is the way pro's do it isn't it. The way I did it in all my college classes as well. Same with my mother who was a life long lab tech. I hear the benign argument that milk isn't sold by the pound and I have to laugh because that is exactly how we sold it from the farm to the distributor.

Some people are not comfortable with using a scale. That is fine, using volume has and does work excellent. If however, you are comfortable with a scale, I believe you will find that measuring DIY e-liquid by weight is the easiest, fastest, and most repeatable way to mix juice.

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yup, it is the way pro's do it isn't it. The way I did it in all my college classes as well. Same with my mother who was a life long lab tech. I hear the benign argument that milk isn't sold by the pound and I have to laugh because that is exactly how we sold it from the farm to the distributor.

Wow, so all those years I spent using a micropipette for delivering µl, and a Mettler microbalance for weighing my µgm I was doing it wrong?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread