Deeming regs claim a major victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
Sadly, I only own one Provari. I was hoping to get another when I got my taxes but it looks like that's not gonna happen.

I love my 2.5. It may be the epitome of a "douche flute" but with its 18650 adapter that thing has enough heft to it I dare anyone to call it that to my face. :pervy:

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Sadly, I only own one Provari. I was hoping to get another when I got my taxes but it looks like that's not gonna happen.

I love my 2.5. It may be the epitome of a "douche flute" but with its 18650 adapter that thing has enough heft to it I dare anyone to call it that to my face. :pervy:

You should still be able to find one in dealer stock after tax returns come in.

Reactions: LaraC

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
The idea that this was due entirely or even mostly to regs is nonsense. They focused of a specific type of product with a dwindling market share.

If business was good, they'd ride it out right until the end. You don't fold a successful business because of something that will/might happen in 1.5 years. This ain't rocket science.

Reactions: BackDoc

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I'm tempted to buy one that I will never use just so I have one.
How sad is that? And in how many ways is that sad?
:(
Not sad at all. If you can appreciate some good old American craftsmanship and some "heft" in your hand then you should.

If business was good, they'd ride it out right until the end. You don't fold a successful business because of something that will/might happen in 1.5 years. This ain't rocket science.
Well, if the timing allows them to blame the FDA then I say why the hell not? Certainly can't hurt the cause.

Reactions: DC2 and LaraC

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
The idea that this was due entirely or even mostly to regs is nonsense. They focused of a specific type of product with a dwindling market share.

There were a few reasons Provape closed. Most of them can be blamed on the regs(biggest part being lack of ability to put out new products in a timely manner). The others can be blamed on lack of personal responsibility and other stupid political moves.

Few people know or remember the multi-million dollar law suit filed against Provape within a couple weeks of prop 65 passing in CA because ONE bottle of juice got shipped without the warning. That settlement and associated lawyer fees, was paid by David and his partner out of their pockets. Being a partnership David and his partner have a huge personal stake in things like this. Now we have a potential class action suit targeting the entire vape industry and leaning toward hitting the biggest manufacturers because people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

The market didn't leave Provape behind like a lot of people think. In fact there was actually a surge in sales starting because of the market trends and the crap being pumped out of other manufacturers. The radius line, Procyon line and two other projects in the works were gaining Provape new customers and new business as a component supplier.

The biggest problem here in the states that I see is people have a throw away mentality when it comes to their money. What I mean by that is people buy cheap low quality crap that breaks or has what manufacturers call "Planned obsolescence" and don't care that they will end up spending up to 20 times more in replacements than they would have if they got a high quality product to begin with.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    What I mean by that is people buy cheap low quality crap that breaks or has what manufacturers call "Planned obsolescence" and don't care that they will end up spending up to 20 times more in replacements than they would have if they got a high quality product to begin with.

There were more reasons than price for people choosing other than Provape products. Should I have bought one even though disliking the product and the behavior of the company?

Should a person be faulted for not paying premium price for a product during a recession?

Ed_C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    There were a few reasons Provape closed. Most of them can be blamed on the regs(biggest part being lack of ability to put out new products in a timely manner). The others can be blamed on lack of personal responsibility and other stupid political moves.

Few people know or remember the multi-million dollar law suit filed against Provape within a couple weeks of prop 65 passing in CA because ONE bottle of juice got shipped without the warning. That settlement and associated lawyer fees, was paid by David and his partner out of their pockets. Being a partnership David and his partner have a huge personal stake in things like this. Now we have a potential class action suit targeting the entire vape industry and leaning toward hitting the biggest manufacturers because people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

The market didn't leave Provape behind like a lot of people think. In fact there was actually a surge in sales starting because of the market trends and the crap being pumped out of other manufacturers. The radius line, Procyon line and two other projects in the works were gaining Provape new customers and new business as a component supplier.

The biggest problem here in the states that I see is people have a throw away mentality when it comes to their money. What I mean by that is people buy cheap low quality crap that breaks or has what manufacturers call "Planned obsolescence" and don't care that they will end up spending up to 20 times more in replacements than they would have if they got a high quality product to begin with.

I was just wondering if you have inside information or is this just your speculation?

While I do agree that Provape made high quality mods, I think your 20 times more in replacements is a huge exaggeration.

As for as the "throw away mentality" I typical like to buy one thing that will last, but when the technology is not mature, that don't always make sense. It's not always "planed obsolescence" often it's just the march of technology.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    Wow, they've got the Pass Through car kit. I bought one of those with my original P2.5 kit three years ago, and never used it. I may put it to use yet if I ever get to take another of my beloved road trips.
    I bought essentially every possible option & accessory for the P2.5 on that order and multiples of some of them. The P2.5 remains my primary APV to this day. I also bought a spare a little while back, tested it upon delivery, and stashed it. Don't know if I'll ever need it, but it's reassuring to know it's there.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    There were more reasons than price for people choosing other than Provape products. Should I have bought one even though disliking the product and the behavior of the company?

Should a person be faulted for not paying premium price for a product during a recession?

You have your reasons and that's fine. I wasn't just talking about provape in that statement though. More of the general trend I see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2014
    Cali
    While the rest of the world is still introducing new products daily, amurican companies are shutting down daily
    Thanks FDA

Yep. According to Zen, when he proposed buying provape and just ceasing sales in the US, investors refused saying why make products in the US if you can't sell them here and still can't bring out improvements or new products because your in the US.

motordude

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 1, 2015
    VA, USA
    I'm still not clear how the Chinese are introducing new products into the US. I thought no new products could be introduced into the US without being approved. Is the FDA just not policing this?
    They cannot stop foreign companies from making and selling products.
    Just look at the new products being released lately.
    They don't have the budget, and the other agencies have their hands full with other, more important things.
    You can order direct from factories.
    The FDA war on vaping is a failure so far, along with the other wars the government has.
    Now in future, who knows!
    They are just killing Amuracan companies, and jobs.

Ed_C

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 11, 2013
    Seligman, MO
    They cannot stop foreign companies from making and selling products.
    Just look at the new products being released lately.
    They don't have the budget, and the other agencies have their hands full with other, more important things.
    You can order direct from factories.
    The FDA war on vaping is a failure so far, along with the other wars the government has.
    Now in future, who knows!
    They are just killing Amuracan companies, and jobs.

They could stop shipments at the ports or remove them from stores if the had the will, personnel and budget, but like you said, it looks like the don't. When the date came and went, most people speculated that this would be what they would be doing. They also speculated that the new products flooding the market, at that time, must have been released in small numbers to get around the regs, but this doesn't seem to be the case now, as it's been too long ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread