Frustrations (Aspire Nautilus leak/gurgle/spit, Aspire x30 Rover kit crackling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcticFog

Feb 19, 2017
Hi.
My brother recommended me the Nautilus, as it should be easy to start and grow with. I was really excited when it arrived in the post, nice design, easy to set up and use. But it did gurlgle from the start on. As a newbie I thought that was normal, until the thing started leaking both from the vent holes and the mouth piece. I contacted the seller, and have done what he suggested. 1. Hold the thing upsede down, and give it some whips to get the juice out. 2. Put some paper around the bottom part and blow through the mouthpiece. This helps - for a few pulls, and then it's back again. I'm ok with some gurgling, I just don't want to inhale liquid! I tried a tips I got from YouTube. Taking an o-ring from an old coil, placing it just under the upper threads of a new one. This worked fine for a couple of days. My way of inhaling should be right. I notice less gurgling when the battery is fully charged, but leaking is a constant problem.

As the Nautilus is quite big and leaky, I decided to try the nex X30 Rover kit. This is a really nice on the go size. Tank is said to be leak proof, and I have had noe such problems. But I can't inhale much before the vapor gets very hot and I hear a crackeling sound like some burning. Inhaling this makes me caugh - I suspect the heat itself or e-liquid in the wrong place to cause this. The coils I got for this kit are 1,5 ohm and recomended for 14-20w. I have it at 14 now. Tried even as low as 10, but still there are problems w/crackling and flavour is not good as such low setting.

Might be the juice I have maybe. In the X30 tank it's a 40/60 PG/VG solution - some apple-ish flavour, but the seller claims this tank supports high PG. As for the Nautilus I'm not shure. I use a liqurice flavor from EJuice International. The lable does not say percentages. Also Green Fairy from Royal Vapor Mystic Juice. Percentages are not mentioned on this one either.

This got long. Maybe I have chosen advanced stuff for a newbie, but I tried more of an advanced sigalice thingy a couple of years bakc which I really disliked.

Btw, I don't use nicotine.

Reactions: Eskie

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Tanks are fine if you are on the go, but RDA's are where it's at (zero nic too) with regards to flavor.
Might like to read:
Tank Flooding Explained | Learning Center | VaVaVape
Tank type atomizers... For new vapists - how they work | E-Cigarette Forum
TFV8 leaking
Calling all Nauti Mini/Triton Mini/MTL lovers out there...
Maybe I have chosen advanced stuff for a newbie
Yep, you dived into the deep end but all is not lost.
Might want to do non sub-ohm first (Over 1 ohms, pretty much uses the same equipment, the coil/wick is built different). You will get great flavor but the cloud production is not as intense as you can produce with sub ohm'g.
Could look into the pros and cons of sub ohm'g vs non sub ohm'g before you decide which way you want to go. Some folks jump right into sub ohm'g without looking at the hidden ramifications.Successful sub ohm'rs tend to know the ins and outs of vaping. That's why sub ohm'g is tagged as advanced vaping.
I use a Eleaf IStick 40w (same battery for over a year now) and vape single coil *Magma RDA's at 2 ohms/7 watts. A lot of the old folks use a similar combo and enjoy it (extreme other end of the vaping spectrum).

Reactions: Eskie

ArcticFog

Feb 19, 2017
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'll take a look at those links, and pay a visit to a vape shop today. It's allways usefull to seek advice from those selling the stuff f2f.

Vaping is really a science. Might be sub ohm is the fix, but I'm not so keen on building coils myself as I'm visually handicapped and therefore afraid of not getting it right.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    On my Nautilus, I found that I need to keep the top fitting (that holds the drip-tip) Tight. Then, the coil Tight.
    Some people advise flipping the top gasket. Most of my gurgling is fixed by just tilting the base of the mod Upwards, as I vape.

DO not overfill, do not overprime. Just keep trying!

JU

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    I can't help with your troubles with Nautilus unless someone a bit unfriendly has sold you the 'old' coils (BDC), as the new coils (BVC) are mostly very reliable.
    What I do know (aha..) is that Royal Vapor Mystic Juice is 70% VG juice. Good juice too.

I am a little interested that someone would buy an "X30 Rover".... I mean, where, how?
    It uses the 2ml Nautilus X tank (and the U-tech coils) which are kind of hit and miss from what I understand.
    Whoever said "it supports high PG" is not being truthful with you because it was designed with larger wicking holes expressly to take higher VG.

PS; here is part of a review summary.

Cons;
    Drip tip size (subjective) with lack of options to replace
    Heat generated with higher VG juices
    Crackling noise
    Step down in flavor from the Triton Mini (subjective)
    The airflow can be difficult to see at times
    Have to run at 18+ watts to notice a large different in flavor from the Nautilus Mini

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    One big advantage to the Nauti X is it will not leak unless you drop it and shatter the glass. The disadvantage is not all the coils offered are all that great. Generally (and this is not from personal experience, just what I've read around here) the 1.8 ohm coil for it works/tastes/vapes better than the 1.5 ohm coil. Either should work OK with a 60/40 VG/PG blend, or 70 /30 if that's what djsvapour pointed out.

The problem I've had with little/short tanks is the short chimney (the tube from the coil chamber to your DT) results in a hotter vape. You sort of have to play around with the power setting until you find what works best for you. Crackling isn't bad and can be normal for a given coil design so long as it's not spitting hot juice into your mouth.

Starting out vaping means learning new things, including your personal preferences. What works for your brother might not work well for you. Still that's a pretty solid setup to start with. If you can find the 1.8 ohm coils give them a shot. Also, with the impending TPD regulations hitting the EU and tanks being capped at only 2 ml, now may be a good time to pick up the extender kit for the Nauti X which will allow you to increase the volume to 4 ml (more convenient, and might become more difficult to obtain) and will also lengthen that chimney so maybe not as hot a vape at the same power as the shorter, 2 ml setup.

ArcticFog

Feb 19, 2017
    Went to a wape shop today. Turned out it was my juice. It was mislabeled and to thin. No leaks after changing to a 50/50 juice from Four Elements. This was an awakning to real flavour. Never enjoyed my vape more :D. Hope this simple solution to the problem is the deal. No leaks or gurgling so far.

As for the X30 I was adviced to give it a good cleanout and change the juice there as well. These Four Elements stuff is expensive, but you really get what you pay for. I love my Nautilus when it works so smoothly, hope it continues this way :D

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Went to a wape shop today. Turned out it was my juice. It was mislabeled and to thin. No leaks after changing to a 50/50 juice from Four Elements. This was an awakning to real flavour. Never enjoyed my vape more :D. Hope this simple solution to the problem is the deal. No leaks or gurgling so far.

As for the X30 I was adviced to give it a good cleanout and change the juice there as well. These Four Elements stuff is expensive, but you really get what you pay for. I love my Nautilus when it works so smoothly, hope it continues this way :D
    Glad to hear that you've got things sorted. Yeah, the Nautilus series is still holding strong these past years. Hopefully they come out with something equal to it but with top filling. Or not, just to have some choices...

ArcticFog

Feb 19, 2017
    I can't help with your troubles with Nautilus unless someone a bit unfriendly has sold you the 'old' coils (BDC), as the new coils (BVC) are mostly very reliable.
    What I do know (aha..) is that Royal Vapor Mystic Juice is 70% VG juice. Good juice too.

I am a little interested that someone would buy an "X30 Rover".... I mean, where, how?
    It uses the 2ml Nautilus X tank (and the U-tech coils) which are kind of hit and miss from what I understand.
    Whoever said "it supports high PG" is not being truthful with you because it was designed with larger wicking holes expressly to take higher VG.

PS; here is part of a review summary.

Cons;
    Drip tip size (subjective) with lack of options to replace
    Heat generated with higher VG juices
    Crackling noise
    Step down in flavor from the Triton Mini (subjective)
    The airflow can be difficult to see at times
    Have to run at 18+ watts to notice a large different in flavor from the Nautilus Mini

Thank you for your info on the X30 tank. I bought my rover kit from a Norwegian Internet-store - A reliable dealer. I got the PG and VG mixed up. Meant supports high VG. I see that I mitght have encountered some of the cons of the X30. I might very well get the extender if I continue having problems.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2017
    Hi and Welcome!
    Typical newbie problems- try filling the tank only to half, be so careful not to get any juice in the center air tube, run a qtip down the center chimney tube! Overpriming the coil can cause these problems too! Higher VG can solve many leaking issues, make sure you close off the air flow when filling, that can help too!
    Coughing- I did that for weeks when I started vaping, partly my lungs clearing out from quitting cigarettes and the other part, getting used to eliquids and vaping!
    Just take very weak drags, sip some water, and maybe a tighter drip tip would help! The higher ohm coils should help, I started out with 1.5Ω coils and low watts 10w-15w and I now vape with mainly .5Ω but still only vape at 25-30w, but I have been vaping for over 2 years.
    When I figured out direct lung hits- blow down through the drip tip then deep inhale, seemed to bypass most of my throat, stopped most of the coughing.
    Any way you will find what works for you!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    @SnapDragon NY
    "When I figured out direct lung hits- blow down through the drip tip then deep inhale, seemed to bypass most of my throat, stopped most of the coughing."

Great that you found that technique. I'll try that myself. Don't really understand how it works tho, lol.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2017
    @SnapDragon NY
    "When I figured out direct lung hits- blow down through the drip tip then deep inhale, seemed to bypass most of my throat, stopped most of the coughing."

Great that you found that technique. I'll try that myself. Don't really understand how it works tho, lol.
    I bought the Kanger DripBox- what was I thinking- You have to DL on it or you will cough your head off! Higher Vg and low nic- I now use 3mgs!
    I checked out some YouTube videos on Direct Lung and how to do it! Hahah- I have know one that I know that vapes- I learn by YouTube and forums!
    It doesn't even have to be deep in hale, a few seconds- just blow down into the drip tip then quickly breathe in, make sure your air flow is fully open, and some practice and you will be amazed on easy it is- Most of the sub ohm tanks today with the wide drip tips, seems that DL is the only way!

Last edited:
    Reactions: r77r7r

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    It's odd how preferences change. I started mtl at 24 mg. I went to 12 mg when I accidentally bought some juice without paying attention, and found it was fine. I started building on RTAs figuring with upcoming regulations relying on factory coils might be a bad idea. When I started doing that I discovered I preferred an easier draw than on my mtl Triton mini type stuff, and lowered my coil resistance and nic to 6 mg.

I guess I am doing DL now, although certainly not deep inhales or blowing big clouds. I stay at moderate wattages/TC, and am comfy with where I am. I can go back to mtl with a higher inc juice if I need to travel and/or be stealthy, which is not as satisfying but relieves any nic desires I have. I've tried 3 mg but it just wasn't enough. Which is OK, I'm in no rush or feel some need to drop any lower for now.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 5, 2017
    It's odd how preferences change. I started mtl at 24 mg. I went to 12 mg when I accidentally bought some juice without paying attention, and found it was fine. I started building on RTAs figuring with upcoming regulations relying on factory coils might be a bad idea. When I started doing that I discovered I preferred an easier draw than on my mtl Triton mini type stuff, and lowered my coil resistance and nic to 6 mg.

I guess I am doing DL now, although certainly not deep inhales or blowing big clouds. I stay at moderate wattages/TC, and am comfy with where I am. I can go back to mtl with a higher inc juice if I need to travel and/or be stealthy, which is not as satisfying but relieves any nic desires I have. I've tried 3 mg but it just wasn't enough. Which is OK, I'm in no rush or feel some need to drop any lower for now.

Yes- my style has sure changed in the last year! I too started getting into RTAs that is why I bought the DripBox too( hate the dripbox)- scared what the FDA regulations might do and I didn't want to be dependent on factory coils! I bought the coil master kit, wire, Demon coil kits and wicking and now I love the OBS Engines, Ace,Crius tanks!
    I still have my Atlantis and SSOCC coils stockpiled as those run my many tanks!
    I found I could drop my nic from 24 to 3mgs by strong flavors, like cinnamon fireball, peach,sweet candy flavors! As long as I can see vapor I am satisfied!
    My Nebox is my travel device and that is MTL- but at home I have my sub ohm tanks and mods! I purchased some of my 150-160w mods, not for the power, but for the long battery life of dual batteries! I still vape between 25-30w! Between 1.0- .5 ohm resistance coils. I am no cloud chaser by any stretch! Haha!
    No my friend Eskie- you are doing great, and whatever works for you is best for you! The main thing is we are not smoking cigarettes! Nicotine is not the devil, no more than caffeine is for coffee! I used to drink coffee all day, but since vaping I am down to one cup! Not sure if that has to do with quitting cigarettes, and now coffee just doesn't taste as good?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread