VG is a pain. Best and easy way to measure+tranfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Pop the plunger out of the syringe then fill the desired amount, put the plunger back in and push. VG in a syringe is a bit of a hassle, cool VG is a pain. Once you get goin in DIY, find a juice you like then you'll start to use larger containers. I found wire top jars in the dollar store 50ml up to 500ml and they work great to mix and steep, mini funnels from ebay china to transfer into smaller jugs. I can't remember where I read it(just the other day) but order of ingredients does matter with some concentrate flavors or your juice might go cloudy. My order is PG, flavoring then mix...VG then mix... let sit overnight to subside the bubbles then add the nic and mix again but not as vigorous as the first mixings.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
PG is the biggest pain for me. Syringes with blunt tips and it's still very difficult. I tried granulated cylinders with a funnel still a pain. How do you do it??

Best idea yet:

Use a scale and measure by weight. No muss, no fuss, no clean up. ;)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I read that some of those syringes you buy in places like ebay, ect aren't accurate, so you should calibrate them if your able. I used syringes when I first got into DIY and found them at my local vet, they were 1ml - 60ml and accurate. I also got some larger diameter needles and blunted them myself at the same vet. I educated them a bit on what I was doing with them, they were more impressed I quit smoking, vape and make my own juice and not a junkie. I then bought a scale and never looked back.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Leave the VG as the last ingredient and just top off the bottle with VG, that's in a 8oz yorker top bottle.

That's a good idea for 2 reasons: First, because the VG is thick and you can just pour it in rather than measuring it. Second, VG is the ingredient that some less soluable flavorings won't easily mix well with. If ALL other ingredients are in the mix bottle first, and then shaken to mix them well...when adding the VG last, the problem doesn't occur.

A way to easily draw out VG with a syringe is: Put the tip in the VG and pull the plunger up to a desired measurement mark. Just hold it there. The VG will rise up in the syringe to that level...on its own. You're not pulling trying to "suck it up" to the mark. It's also even easier if you'll use a larger syringe, like a 12mL one. They're really cheap at Tractor Supply, back in the animal meds section.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Since I always use the exact same syringes I get the same results every time so accuracy is achieved. I have been thinking of getting a scale for my next big DIY session but thats over a month in the future so Ive got lots of time to shop around!

Going to weight based measuring was one of the best decisions for taking my DIY to the next level.

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Dunder Mifflin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
California
One of these,
https://www.amazon.com/American-Wei...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=41AAT6ZM455DDX8RRETM
41M3TE8qG8L.jpg

And a couple of these,
https://www.amazon.com/ChefLand-Squ...073&sr=1-6&keywords=condiment+squeeze+bottles

51nS26VHDZL._AC_UL115_.jpg

and ditch the syringes.

e-liquid recipes . com calculates the grams for you, just check grams in the preferences

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
i still use luer lock syringes regularly but, other than first week years back, i never use a needle on them when using them for VG and have no issues sucking up VG that way even when i use the 1ml syringes. (don't shake VG beforehand)

the tall skinny plastic 50ml cylinders, i use once in a while (without a funnel). if you carefully run it around under hot/warm faucet water right before pouring VG mix out of it, it will thin VG enough to not leave VG stuck on sides.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Wow, a lot of weight fans replying. I didn't have to buy a gram scale, as I've owned them for decades. And, I've read the advocacy of using them for measuring eLiquids quite a bit, here on ECF. Whatever works for you is the right way for you. I measure liquids by volume, as god intended, LOL.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I could see it being easier with larger batches. I'm a Nubie at diy still trying flavors and figuring what works best for me. I mix all 30ml bottles till I strike a very good recipe that works for me then I will upgrade to larger batches
Large batches 60 ml and over: Can pour VG into a large 60 mL Syringe with Cap in summer----$0.41ea--1ea Or use two shots of 30 ml. syringe in winter. I'm too busy tasting 40-50 little 5 ml samples, I hardly have time to mix/stock my 60ml/ADV juices. If I want more than one 60ml mix, it is easier to do two 60ml of one ADV juice. On a mixing day, I might do 4-5 60ml. sizes at the most.
I use my large ADV mixes as emergency supply stock when I run out of 5 ml test mixes. I'm DIY taste chaser/mixer.
PG/flavors no flow syringe problems any time of year.

Reactions: Darth Omerta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread