Is it "bad" to pre-mix unflavored ejuice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Bak

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2015
Netherlands
I always premix my base, larger amounts are more precise, at least when i mix it:

100 ml - 48mg/PG base (i just happen to have 100ml bottles)
800 ml - VG
650 ml - PG
50 ml - flavours
1,600 ml - ~50/50 base with ~3 mg/ml nic and ~3% flavours

~ I know this isn't pure 50/50 since there's nic and flavours in it, but i really couldn't tell the difference between 51/49 and 50/50 base, or between 3.1 mg nic and 2.9 mg.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I'm tell'n ya...

On the zoiDic Happiness Scale (zHS) from 1 ~ 17, 1 being the Lowest and 17 being the Highest, my Cobalt Blue stored e-liquids are 2 ~ 3 points Happier than my e-liquids stored in Amber Bottles.

That is the CHEESE!!!!!!:thumbs::banana:

Shame on me. Years have gone by and I never recognized the source of my own happiness.

PB6ZyHk.jpg

That's unflavored pre-mix, about a year old. 35pg /65vg/15nic

Huh, I never pegged you for a squonker...live and learn I suppose
:rickroll:

(nice collection!:thumb:)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Lately I've been doing two 100ml batches of unflavored because I like to add flavor as I test flavors, as well as vape unflavored. Maybe I should up the nic on the one I add flavor to.

But, to be honest I haven't noticed a difference in nic or effect with the 1% to 5% flavors I create from unflavored. As we discovered in another thread you can do flavor or no flavor in a recipe and the calculator reduces PG to offset the flavor, but keeps the nic at the same rate.

So, you can create the unflavored with flavor in the recipe and just not add it. That way, when you add the flavor the nic level is already accounted for in the mix at your average flavor level.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can always count on this bunch of fine folks for a smile!
And we can count on you to ask very interesting questions. Thank you :wub:

When I take a bottle of 100 mg/ml 100% PG nic from the freezer. I let it come to room temp and then mix it down to either 50 mg/ml or 25 mg/ml. If it is a 60 ml bottle of nic, I pour that one into a 250 ml bottle and add 180 mls of PG. I end up with 240 mls of 25 mg base. If I take out a 120 ml bottle I pour it into a 250 ml bottle and add 120 ml of PG and end up with 240 mls of 50 mg. That extra 10 ml space in the 250 ml bottle gives me plenty of mixing room in the bottle.

Some folks like to buy/mix their base close to what strength they want to vape but for me it is easier to leave it at a higher level. I actually vape several different strengths-from 6 all the way up to 16 (depends on which flavor I am mixing. Dessert flavors taste better to me at lower nic strengths). Hubby still needs at least 20 so my 25 mg mix is high enough to make his. By keeping my base all PG it makes it easy for me to keep our mixes close to 60pg/40vg.

This is my simple way of determining how much nic base I need for any strength.....Works for any size bottle or nic strength....

Formula for determining how much nicotine is needed for your desired nic strength

A= total amount of juice, in ml, that you want to make.
B= strength of nicotine that you want in the final juice.
C= number of mg/ml of nicotine in your nicotine base.

Multiply A times B, then divide by C.That will yield how many mls of nicotine base to use.

Example:
You want to make 30mls of 12mg juice. You have 25mg/ml nicotine base
A=30
B=12
C=25
30 times 12 = 360
360 divided by 25 = 14.4 mls of nicotine needed

There are lots of e-juice calculators on the web but this is my simple way of determining my measurements.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
And we can count on you to ask very interesting questions. Thank you :wub:

When I take a bottle of 100 mg/ml 100% PG nic from the freezer. I let it come to room temp and then mix it down to either 50 mg/ml or 25 mg/ml. If it is a 60 ml bottle of nic, I pour that one into a 250 ml bottle and add 180 mls of PG. I end up with 240 mls of 25 mg base. If I take out a 120 ml bottle I pour it into a 250 ml bottle and add 120 ml of PG and end up with 240 mls of 50 mg. That extra 10 ml space in the 250 ml bottle gives me plenty of mixing room in the bottle.

Some folks like to buy/mix their base close to what strength they want to vape but for me it is easier to leave it at a higher level. I actually vape several different strengths-from 6 all the way up to 16 (depends on which flavor I am mixing. Dessert flavors taste better to me at lower nic strengths). Hubby still needs at least 20 so my 25 mg mix is high enough to make his. By keeping my base all PG it makes it easy for me to keep our mixes close to 60pg/40vg.

This is my simple way of determining how much nic base I need for any strength.....Works for any size bottle or nic strength....

Formula for determining how much nicotine is needed for your desired nic strength

A= total amount of juice, in ml, that you want to make.
B= strength of nicotine that you want in the final juice.
C= number of mg/ml of nicotine in your nicotine base.

Multiply A times B, then divide by C.That will yield how many mls of nicotine base to use.

Example:
You want to make 30mls of 12mg juice. You have 25mg/ml nicotine base
A=30
B=12
C=25
30 times 12 = 360
360 divided by 25 = 14.4 mls of nicotine needed

There are lots of e-juice calculators on the web but this is my simple way of determining my measurements.

Excellent information, thank you very much![emoji4]

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
FWIW, this is a case where using highly concentrated flavors would be better. You won't dilute your unflavored mix nearly as much at 2% as you will at 10% or 15%. It's one reason that I'm beginning to see the value in Flavourart juices.

Since my Nicotine & PG|VG Levels isn't really changing, at least for the time it takes to go thru 250ml of Pre-Mix, I make the Adjustment to the Pre-Mix by mixing it 10%+. Then when the 10% Flavoring/Sweetener is added it drops it back Down to my Target.

---

A possible Downside is numerically, using a 2% Super Concentrated Flavoring is "less forgiving" to measuring Tolerances than say a Flavoring at say a 10% Concentration.

Being off 1 Drop of 2% is like being off 5 Drops of a 10% Flavor concentration. At least on Paper.

This might not be all that Relevant while making Larger Batches. But might be something that is Noticeable if someone is making say 15ml Batches.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Since my Nicotine & PG|VG Levels isn't really changing, at least for the time it takes to go thru 250ml of Pre-Mix, I make the Adjustment to the Pre-Mix by mixing it 10%+. Then when the 10% Flavoring/Sweetener is added it drops it back Down to my Target.

---

A possible Downside is numerically, using a 2% Super Concentrated Flavoring is "less forgiving" to measuring Tolerances than say a Flavoring at say a 10% Concentration.

Being off 1 Drop of 2% is like being off 5 Drops of a 10% Flavor concentration. At least on Paper.

This might not be all that Relevant while making Larger Batches. But might be something that is Noticeable if someone is making say 15ml Batches.

I agree that flavor accuracy probably increases when the flavor is less concentrated. There's less wiggle room with a flavor that requires 1% or 2%.

The upside once you figure out the correct mix is cost. A bottle of FA flavor lasts longer than a bottle that requires 10% flavor to be effective. My 3ml bottle of Capella Sweet Watermelon isn't going to last long at 12% flavor.

I do find that incremental percentages of FA at 1%, 1.5%, and 2% are usually close enough for good juice. If it's a little hot, then I can add a little unflavored to round it out and then adjust the mix for next time.

I have on occasion created a monstrosity that required half and half dilution! The good part is that I now have two 50ml bottles of FA Cowboy that are a nice vape.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I agree that flavor accuracy probably increases when the flavor is less concentrated. There's less wiggle room with a flavor that requires 1% or 2%.

The upside once you figure out the correct mix is cost. A bottle of FA flavor lasts longer than a bottle that requires 10% flavor to be effective. My 3ml bottle of Capella Sweet Watermelon isn't going to last long at 12% flavor.

When doing DIY, there are Many Ways to get from Point A to Point B. And each has it's Pro's and it's Con's. Potential Benefits and Potential Pitfalls.

What makes DIY Very Cool (to me) is that it is so Numerically Integrated that it Forces one to consider Quantitative Factors when choosing their A - B path.

It's like one Big Math Word Problem in a textbook that No One can sit in the back of the class and say... "When am I Every going to use something like this in Real Life?"

LOL

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's like one Big Math Word Problem in a textbook that No One can sit in the back of the class and say... "When am I Every going to use something like this in Real Life?"

Yep, 3mg/ml doesn't equal 3% nic unless it's in a 100ml batch!

It's not all applicable to our daily lives, but I've used quite a bit of what I learned in college and electronics school. There wasn't a lot of math in Computer science classes after the core courses.

I use the Pythagorean Theorem A^2 + B^2 = C^2 in my basement hobby carpentry work. I used the laws of Watt and Ohm in electronics often enough in my job, or at least they helped me determine if things were right or wrong just because they were head knowledge that I carried around.

Here's How Little Math Americans Actually Use at Work

Americans_Math_Work_1.png

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yep, 3mg/ml doesn't equal 3% nic unless it's in a 100ml batch!

It's not all applicable to our daily lives, but I've used quite a bit of what I learned in college and electronics school. There wasn't a lot of math in Computer science classes after the core courses.

I use the Pythagorean Theorem A^2 + B^2 = C^2 in my basement hobby carpentry work. I used the laws of Watt and Ohm in electronics often enough in my job, or at least they helped me determine if things were right or wrong just because they were head knowledge that I carried around.

Here's How Little Math Americans Actually Use at Work

Americans_Math_Work_1.png

I told a Student once that learning Math Isn't Really about getting an Answer to a Problem. In fact, the answer is many times the most Trivial part of the Entire Process.

Learning Math is about Understanding a Problem. And then being able to Manipulate what you Know into a Form where you can Apply some Technique to obtain a Solution.

He had a Very Hard time with this. Because he was very Solution Oriented at that time.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I told a Student once that learning Math Isn't Really about getting an Answer to a Problem. In fact, the answer is many times the most Trivial part of the Entire Process.

Learning Math is about Understanding a Problem. And then being able to Manipulate what you Know into a Form where you can Apply some Technique to obtain a Solution.

He had a Very Hard time with this. Because he was very Solution Oriented at that time.

That's true. Sometimes, it's hard to visualize a problem in your mind to determine the best way to calculate the answer. Understanding how and why a formula works is much better than just memorizing the format. For that, you have to visualize the component parts of the problem and how they interact.

For kids these days it's easier to Google it. Not so good when you are without online connections. Everyone ought to learn the basic theorems.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's true. Sometimes, it's hard to visualize a problem in your mind to determine the best way to calculate the answer. Understanding how and why a formula works is much better than just memorizing the format. For that, you have to visualize the component parts of the problem and how they interact

For kids these days it's easier to Google it. Not so good when you are without online connections. Everyone ought to learn the basic theorems.

Yeah...

I have this Ti-89 Calculator. It can do some Insane Integrations/Differentiations and Symbolic Linear Algebra that would make a Grad Student's head spin. And It has a User Guide that is about a 1/2" thick. it Explains how to put things into it. And then how to get Outputs/Graphs of Solutions.

But the User Guide doesn't tell me One Thing. And that is What to put into my Ti-89? Or why I am Putting things into my Ti-89 in the First Place?

Anyway... Sorry for Math Derail ChelsB. Did you get Good Info on Doing/Not Doing Unflavored Pre-Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread