Need help with my iStick Pico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederico Passos

Feb 22, 2017
So I own a eleaf iStick Pico for 3 months now and I faced a problem I cant solve. Everything was normal until my vape started to make kind of a hissing sound after I stopped vaping (when I release the button) it eventually started to taste like burnt. So I decided to disassemble my tank and clean it. Didn't solve. So I used a new coil, primed it properly as usual, it is better now. But still makes the hissing sound and doesnt release that much smoke. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
So I own a Eleaf iStick Pico for 3 months now and I faced a problem I cant solve. Everything was normal until my vape started to make kind of a hissing sound after I stopped vaping (when I release the button) it eventually started to taste like burnt. So I decided to disassemble my tank and clean it. Didn't solve. So I used a new coil, primed it properly as usual, it is better now. But still makes the hissing sound and doesnt release that much smoke. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

2 possible issues.

1. You may have gotten bad coils and there is so much cotton it can't wick properly.

2. You are burning the wick by having the wattage too high.

When starting a new coil turn the wattage down to 60-75% as high as you were vaping the old coil head, and slowly work your way up.

It takes a while for a new coil to break in snd fill sll of the spaces with air inside the wick

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

Frederico Passos

Feb 22, 2017
Well after I remove my finger I still hear a burn is that is what you are asking, I just tried to puff now and the hit is so stuffy. Looks like that something is preventing it from vaping, hard to explain. Low quality on the pic but it looks like a burnt wire on a new coil!! The wattage I'm using is 40W out of 75W possible

Attachments

• 16933959_10211130880361366_518054061_n.jpg
    16933959_10211130880361366_518054061_n.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 134

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Well after I remove my finger I still hear a burn is that is what you are asking, I just tried to puff now and the hit is so stuffy. Looks like that something is preventing it from vaping, hard to explain. Low quality on the pic but it looks like a burnt wire on a new coil!! The wattage I'm using is 40W out of 75W possible

It's a standard coil, not TC, yes?

40w should be OK on the 0.3ohm. Is it also 'dry' by any chance. (Very hissy, not too much vapor and kind of hot?)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
After you prime a new head by thoroughly saturating the wicking material it is best to turn down the power to allow it to break in & to prevent burning the wicking material.
You need to drip drops of e liquid on wicking material in holes on side of head body & down on top of screen until wicking material is saturated.

Yes, you can burn/singe the wicking material in a new head very easily if it isn't primed thoroughly or you use too high a power setting too soon.
Try starting a new thoroughly primed new head at 20w & gradually increase in 2w-5w increments over the first half tank.

But, we're still guessing what delivery device you're using, melo3? or.
The Pico is a power device, it most often comes with a melo3 'tank' / delivery device in 'kit' form.

" hit is so stuffy" - Is the airflow control open?
Is the airflow chamber full of liquid?
Is fire button sticking?

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
On my Pico with the Melo III Mini I have not fired it past 25 watts and average is about 22.5W. I see no reason to fire it any higher and many of my coils are fired at way below the recommended wattage. That is except for any I fire in TC mode then they are pretty much maxed out.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I know if my wick is not fully saturated because I have been taking too many hits in a row and e-juice cannot re-wick fast enough.......then I get hissing after I take my

finger off the button..................try closing down the airflow a little and taking some dry hits without hitting the power button......and this will draw some...juice

into the coil..........the wick has to get re saturated after you take a hit....if power is too high then the wick dries out faster than it is supposed to .......

You will kind of find a happy medium as to how many hits you can take before the wick gets dried out......it has to keep up with your hitting time........if you draw

on it and then wait 3 minutes......it mite be able to catch up........I used to take a lot of draws in a short period of time and it would not keep up.......

If the juice is thick it does not wick as well as thinner juice does........there are a lot of factors....that effect these vaping devices.........

------Power levels......thickness of Juice.........sucking rate.........air hole adjustment..............

I use a lot of 28 guage.....and 25 watts max power.....sometimes you just have to experiment....with your device to see what works best for you....

These devices are funny ....one day they seem to work great and the next day you have a lot of trouble with them.....

Good luck with your Vaping..............................thetrucker......

Frederico Passos

Feb 22, 2017
So I went to the store and bought a new coil, only 0.5ohm were available. I primed the coil and put the tank together. Filled up the juice waited some minutes and then started to vape at 30W. Well the smoke is back, flavor almost 100% but the hissing noise after releasing the button is still there and I dont remember having this sound before. Also there used to be some kind cracking noises when taking a puff that arent so clear now.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
The hissing after releasing the fire button is from the coil inside the head still being hot enough to vaporize liquid.
No air flow through the head to cool the coil + hissing = scorching the wicking material closest to the coil. Always keep inhaling for a second or two after you let off the fire button.
When the wicking material gets scorched it doesn't wick properly, in a few days you'll be right back in your original problem of burnt taste.

With a new / unused head it is best to turn down the power to about 20w maybe even lower & gradually increase in 2w-5w increments over the first half to full tank.
This allows the head to 'break in' without scorching/burning the wicking material.
You are ruining a bunch of new heads by overpowering them too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread