The Vaping World is leaving me behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have been vaping for four years, starting with a little 650 mah joytech. The tank was the top fill with the coils or wicks being little strings. I thought I had really moved up and have been very happy with my Mini Nautilus and Mini Pro tank II. For two years I have used the Itaste VV3 and/or VV4. I use an Eleaf 30 watt with my Mini Nautilus. Well guys except for the Mini Nautilus the other vape supplies are either no longer available or hard to find. I did find the Mini Pro Tank II in limited quantities and bought a couple. I am now trying to lay in supplies to last me.
The Itaste and Eleaf 30 watt has been discontinued.

What I call sub ohm or clouds chasing is taking over and the manufacturers are marketing toward those who love doing this and leaving the ones like me behind. I cannot use a sub-ohm device. It chokes me. It make me cough so hard, I might as well be smoking a stinky.

I realize that I am a minority and that there are those who say I don't even want to try but believe me I have and every time I bought a set up, I gave it away to my son or daughter in law or sometimes just a friend. Some of us cannot do this. Some of us cannot take this much into our lungs.

I realize I am just venting and no one on this site can help but right now, I am very frustrated.
My preferred atomizer, the only one I use, is the SV rda clone. It's disappearing from the market so I bought a life time supply (10). Easy since they are durable and cost less than $7 each. I use it for specific reasons and haven't found it's equal. If you have a favorite atomizer chances are it's cheap right now because of all the new stuff hogging the limelight so pick up a few.

Power supplies are not the same situation. There are worthy successors to the regulated mods of a few years ago. My Pico is superior to anything from several years ago and is a fraction of the price.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
"even though Doctor said no COPD, I was a smoker for 40 years, I know there is some damage."

I don't have COPD, either (that I know of) after smoking for over 45 years, but I do know my lungs and overall health are much better after switching to vaping.

"Guys, I do not want to build coils unless I have to."

I didn't, either. After the FDA deeming regs, I realized Nautilus Mini coils wouldn't be available forever, so I searched another alternative. I went kicking and screaming last year getting the supplies to do so.

I tried several different atomizers, and the one I liked the best was the Kayfun Mini V3. It leaks a bit, but it suits my style of vaping. Maybe just an itty bit more airy than I would like, but close enough.

I made several miserable attempts and then made a good coil. Believe it or not, I'm still on that very same coil since last July (7 months now).

I remove the wick, lightly dry burn the coil and replace with a new wick when I need to, but the coil is still intact. I probably need to recoil with new wire, but I'm putting it off until I really have to do it.

I don't mind winding the coil itself. It's the mounting and repositioning and getting it just right that I don't like to take the time to do. I just change the wick every week or two, and I'm good. I know it's probably time to make a new coil, but this one still works, so...

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
As another poster stated the pico is a great option for you. Also as far as tanks go learn to wrap a basic coil and look into the joytech limitless rdta great tank and you can control your vape through coil and airflow changes. You are not being left behind but instead given better options to vape your way. Yes there may be a little learning to be done but you will in the end be more satisfied with your vape experience.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
All the more reason to learn diy. The wire we use is used for many other things so is cotton and our batteries. Learn to make your own juice and how to make an unregulated mod and you are set. Boone can tell you you can't vape then.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have been vaping for four years, starting with a little 650 mah joytech. The tank was the top fill with the coils or wicks being little strings. I thought I had really moved up and have been very happy with my Mini Nautilus and Mini Pro Tank II. For two years I have used the Itaste VV3 and/or VV4. I use an Eleaf 30 watt with my Mini Nautilus. Well guys except for the Mini Nautilus the other vape supplies are either no longer available or hard to find. I did find the Mini Pro Tank II in limited quantities and bought a couple. I am now trying to lay in supplies to last me.

What I call sub ohm or clouds chasing is taking over and the manufacturers are marketing toward those who love doing this and leaving the ones like me behind. I cannot use a sub-ohm device. It chokes me. It make me cough so hard, I might as well be smoking a stinky.

I realize that I am a minority and that there are those who say I don't even want to try but believe me I have and every time I bought a set up, I gave it away to my son or daughter in law or sometimes just a friend. Some of us cannot do this. Some of us cannot take this much into our lungs.

I realize I am just venting and no one on this site can help but right now, I am very frustrated.
You are too humble. Not so with me.
I am leaving vaping world behind. I have a nice and satisfying nicotine supply. No foolish subohming, no nothing of current vaping idiocy. What else can man to wish (bedsides, of course, a pretty and wise wife)?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm letting the vape world pass me by. My vape started with an N mini, 1.8 ohm coils, 8 watts. I wish it had stayed there but mixing and rebuilding are inevitable and those changed my vape a bit. I'm at 30 max watts but 400 max temp. I'm not letting those numbers go higher. My 1.3 ohm stainless coils rise to N mini resitances when heated so I'm getting roughly that experience but a bit warmer. I don't want a "better" vape if that means more flavor or more vapor. Enough already. How about less flavor and less vapor. A single 3000 mah battery gets me through a day with ease even though I take a lot of puffs to consume my usual 4-5 ml of 10 mg DIY. That means i don't have to carry anything bigger than a pico and no loose batteries. i'm accustomed to my 'old fashioned' SV rda clones which are dirt cheap, don't leak in my pocket with a tall slip ring, and have a blessedly low parts count so the ones i own are likely to last me as long as I need them too. I was a pipe smoker for a few years in my younger days. I had my favorite pipes. If I was still pipe smoking they would probablly still be my favorites.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA

You're not alone. As I've expressed elsewhere, I started out spending thousands of dollars experimenting and buying all the glittery new devices and going with the new developments which seemed to make my devices obsolete. 6-7 years ago, there was a certain amount of logic to making frequent 'upgrades', as things were rapidly improving. But, after 3-4 years I had had enough of that routine. I found a few devices that simply worked and have stuck with them since.

Yeah, it's rough when your equipment falls out of the praise of the in crowd who considers them to be 'old school', and then becomes hard to find, or maybe disappears altogether. I've begun building stock for the inevitable day when my babies can no longer be found. My primary is a ProVari 2.5 which I've been using for three years. It still looks and functions like new. And I bought a backup P2.5 a little while back from remaining stock.

I've always figured to each their own, so long as nobody is getting hurt. Cloud chasers are a puzzle though. I've seen them in cars that looked like Cheech & Chong must've been aboard. Whatever the point is, it escapes me. It's a different animal than any kind of smoking tobacco ever was. I just hope they don't obscure their view of the road and run into me, or somebody else. I feel they do not represent the vaping community in a favorable light to non-vapers.

Meanwhile, my humble devices have me rarely even thinking about my 35 year cigarette habit and NEVER feeling a desire to burn tobacco.

Last edited:

urchin58

Aug 23, 2014
Texas
You're not alone. As I've expressed elsewhere, I started out spending thousands of dollars experimenting and buying all the glittery new devices and going with the new developments which seemed to make my devices obsolete. 6-7 years ago, there was a certain amount of logic to making frequent 'upgrades', as things were rapidly improving. But, after 3-4 years I had had enough of that routine. I found a few devices that simply worked and have stuck with them since.

Yeah, it's rough when your equipment falls out of the praise of the in crowd who considers them to be 'old school', and then becomes hard to find, or maybe disappears altogether. I've begun building stock for the inevitable day when my babies can no longer be found. My primary is a ProVari 2.5 which I've been using for three years. It still looks and functions like new. And I bought a backup P2.5 a little while back from remaining stock.

I've always figured to each their own, so long as nobody is getting hurt. Cloud chasers are a puzzle though. I've seen them in cars that looked like Cheech & Chong must've been aboard. Whatever the point is, it escapes me. It's a different animal than any kind of smoking tobacco ever was. I just hope they don't obscure their view of the road and run into me, or somebody else. I feel they do not represent the vaping community in a favorable light to non-vapers.

Meanwhile, my humble devices have me rarely even thinking about my 35 year cigarette habit and NEVER feeling a desire to burn tobacco.
I had a Provari 2.5 that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately my youngest son loved it more. lol Being the wonderful Mother that I am, I passed to him. Now Provape has quit manufacturing.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Cloud chasers are a puzzle though. I've seen them in cars that looked like Cheech & Chong must've been aboard. Whatever the point is, it escapes me. It's a different animal than any kind of smoking tobacco ever was. I just hope they don't obscure their view of the road and run into me, or somebody else. I feel they do not represent the vaping community in a favorable light to non-vapers.

Sure, clouding the car so that visibility is impaired is simply stupid. But as for favorable light, inconsiderate vapers - whether cloud chasers or low power mtl vapers are by far a bigger problem than "cloud chuckers" per se.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Quit on a Nautilus Mini... then came the sub ohm boom.. I dove right into it. At the end of last summer I got a Kayfun 5.... Fell in love with it and all MTL devices again... sold all my sub ohm gear and 250w mods.. Dusted off the ole Nautilus Mini, and have been buying nothing but Single 18650 mods and MTL RTA tanks and single coil RDAs since.. there are a lot of options out there. Bought a Crown Mini tank recently to try a sub ohm tank again..... sold it in less than 2 weeks!! It's not for me. Check out the Toodle Puffer Thread, lotta great info on new MTL stuff and where to find the older products as well..

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
^^^ I hear ya' there. I spent a lot of $ (for me) on trying sub ohm because it was so great, and I was assured it was worth it. I also couldn't find much else. I went right back to old mtl gear. I'm not remotely interested in trying tc and hope to skip it completely. I see more mtl hardware lately but it's limited; doesn't work with what I've got or not rebuildable, or internal battery, you know, "the beginner" if it's not dl, mega power, huuuuge cloud mentality.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

JenJen101

May 8, 2013
Puyallup, WA
I have been vaping for four years, starting with a little 650 mah joytech. The tank was the top fill with the coils or wicks being little strings. I thought I had really moved up and have been very happy with my Mini Nautilus and Mini Pro Tank II. For two years I have used the Itaste VV3 and/or VV4. I use an Eleaf 30 watt with my Mini Nautilus. Well guys except for the Mini Nautilus the other vape supplies are either no longer available or hard to find. I did find the Mini Pro Tank II in limited quantities and bought a couple. I am now trying to lay in supplies to last me.

Don't feel bad at all as I'm the exact same way! I have an Eleaf 50W, an Innokin Disruptor, which I think you'd really like, & just bought a SMOK Alien baby kit that I love.
I don't like blowing huge clouds nor set mine above usually 20-30 at the very most. Where my hubby has some huge 3 & 4 battery monster mods that he sets around 100. I just don't personally understand why when he leaves the room his clouds still linger on for what seems like minutes, & what the reasonings are for needing that amount of "cloudage". But I'm not going to crab because at least he's not smoking!

Good luck & please know you're not alone!:)

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
IMG_0121.JPG

Picked up this Hana Modz 20 watts this weekend in the classifieds. Really cheap. You can't sub ohm on it and he basically gave it away cause he could not get rid of it!!! For my Kayfuns and my Nautilus Mini it's perfect!!! The norm of a mod just happens to be 75w on the small mod.. I have a few Pico 75w Mods and love them. I'm generally always Vaping below 20w.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Just because a mod is capable of reaching 1.21 gigawatts doesn't mean you have to use it that way. Turn the power down, slap your favorite tank on it, and use it in a way that suits you best.

One thing a low power vaper has to consider with new devices is their effective wattage range. Newer high power devices may not go below seven watts, with some starting at 10. Those devices that can buck down to five or six watts may use choppy PWM that burns a little at it's top end, making the vape taste burnt. There are entire brands that won't work for me at lower wattages.

I agree that in many applications a low power vaper can take advantage of new devices and get long battery life with multiple battery setups. We just need to do our homework to make sure the device can reach low power levels and that the power is smooth at those levels.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
One thing a low power vaper has to consider with new devices is their effective wattage range. Newer high power devices may not go below seven watts, with some starting at 10. Those devices that can buck down to five or six watts may use choppy PWM that burns a little at it's top end, making the vape taste burnt. There are entire brands that won't work for me at lower wattages.

I agree that in many applications a low power vaper can take advantage of new devices and get long battery life with multiple battery setups. We just need to do our homework to make sure the device can reach low power levels and that the power is smooth at those levels.
Exactly. Very few can buck power and it's hard to find that information.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
Exactly. Very few can buck power and it's hard to find that information.

My first vape, the Sigelei Mini 30, every time you changed the battery you had to hit power up and down or something to switch it to PWM mode. That was disabled by default. With a .5 ohm coil, you were hitting that at the max, 30 watts, no matter what wattage it was set to. I went to the dollar store and bought some reading glasses so I could read the manual.

Surprising the vape store (pretty nice folks) didn't help with that.

Reactions: urchin58

urchin58

Aug 23, 2014
Texas
My first vape, the Sigelei Mini 30, every time you changed the battery you had to hit power up and down or something to switch it to PWM mode. That was disabled by default. With a .5 ohm coil, you were hitting that at the max, 30 watts, no matter what wattage it was set to. I went to the dollar store and bought some reading glasses so I could read the manual.

Surprising the vape store (pretty nice folks) didn't help with that.
If I remember from my Sigelei Mini 30, it had three settings. I let my son use it one day then I forgot to shift back to my setting. I think he had it set on about 25 watts, so that blew the coil in my Mini Nautilus the first inhale. I still have it, just need to get some more batteries and a charger. Thanks for reminding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread