Hey Y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to advanced vaping and mods, but not new to vaping in general. I actually got really into vaping in this past month. Honestly, my ....* fiancee left me, and I quickly got more intense with my vaping to replace the emptiness. I know it seems like it wouldn't be that great of an escape from the pain, but surprisingly it has been really effective. I totally zone out, reading and learning about how vaping works, from electronics to technique to building, and forget about her for hours when I build and fire up my new coils. Idk, it just really makes me happy, maybe because it gives me immediate control over something at a time when I really do have bouts of feeling helpless.

Anyway, I started using e-cigs back in 2010 and bought my first mod and sub-ohm tank last year. I am really digging building my own coils now, and I just want to recognize that ECF and its members have been an awesome resource.

So again, Ayy! What's good everybody?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hey, PBody, and welcome!

Honestly, my ....* fiancee left me, and I quickly got more intense with my vaping to replace the emptiness.

Many relationships end for an infinite number of reasons. Better now than 20 years and three kids down the road, trust me.

I totally zone out, reading and learning about how vaping works, from electronics to technique to building, and forget about her for hours when I build and fire up my new coils. Idk, it just really makes me happy, maybe because it gives me immediate control over something at a time when I really do have bouts of feeling helpless.

I can totally relate. I really enjoy building and DIYing my own e-liquid. It's like meditation or therapy for me. Everything else gets pushed out of my head, all that matters is wrapping the coil or getting the measurements right.

Anyway, I started using e-cigs back in 2010 and bought my first mod and sub-ohm tank last year. I am really digging building my own coils now, and I just want to recognize that ECF and its members have been an awesome resource.

What are you vaping on now? What's your style? Tell us about your vaping journey!

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
I appreciate the sentiments guys. I'm young but not super young. Maybe my username givers the impression I'm 19 lol but I'm 28 (I know, still young). We were planning to start a family and actively trying until a few weeks before she just abandoned me for some guy she met and knew for a week. I can't get further into details, it was really ....ty for someoone I thought I was getting ready to marry to do exactly what she did. This probably isn't the place to talk about it but it's on my mind every second right now. This only happened a few weeks ago and I'm still shocked and angry and humiliated in front of my family and friends.

When I started vaping it was to quit smoking. I would say it was just before e-cigs really started to become very popular. I used to use the little fake cigarette kind until the website I got them from introduced eGos and clearomizers. I used the eGo for a long time. I quit vaping for 5 or 6 months, but then realized I missed it, and had no second thoughts about picking it up again because it's just vaping. So I bought an IPV D3 maybe a year ago, maybe not even, and an Aspire Cleito tank and found I really enjoyed sub-ohm vaping. About 2 weeks ago I got an rx300, and I have a gx350 on the way. I ordered my first RDA, the Wismec Neutron, with the rx300.

My current builds are a 6 wrap contact parallel 24 ga dual kanthal in a Reux tank, .15 ohms, 75 to 100w on rx300, a dual contact 10 wrap single 24ga titanium coil in a Neutron RDA, .2 ohms, 570 degrees F at 75 joules on my ipv d3, and a dual twisted 24 ga kanthal w slight spacing in an Inde Duo RDA, 6 wraps, .18 ohms at 90 to as high as 200w on my rx300, but 200 is super hot lol. Doesnt taste burnt ever, in fact that build ever tastes burnt the least out of all the ones I've made so far, even at 200w, but its super hot vape lol. I am trying to build claptons, but I dont have a tool to hold the wire in place, just a drill, and I dont have a technique to keep the cores from wobbling and messing up my threading when I try to make them.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Sorry about the breakup. Sometimes things don't work out but when you look back you realize it was for the best. I know that sounds like a cliche, but I'm quite a bit older than you and can assure you things really can turn out that way.

If vaping is keeping you going then that's a great way to concentrate on other things. And vaping right now is probably really helpful to avoid falling back on cigarettes, as I'm sure with the emotional turmoil it may seem tempting.

dumindu89

Feb 16, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to advanced vaping and mods, but not new to vaping in general. I actually got really into vaping in this past month. Honestly, my ....* fiancee left me, and I quickly got more intense with my vaping to replace the emptiness. I know it seems like it wouldn't be that great of an escape from the pain, but surprisingly it has been really effective. I totally zone out, reading and learning about how vaping works, from electronics to technique to building, and forget about her for hours when I build and fire up my new coils. Idk, it just really makes me happy, maybe because it gives me immediate control over something at a time when I really do have bouts of feeling helpless.

Hi PBody19!!! Welcome to the e-cigarette-forum. :)

Reactions: Opinionated

Thumpszilla

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the forum. I had the same thing happen to me with a relationship but about a year and a half later I met my wife we have 3 son's ages 21, 15, 11 and have been married for 17 years. I have also started doing more complex coil builds. Currently I have a ss316l build in everything. My limitless rdta is running a fused Clapton with 8 cores of .3 SS ribbon wire and wrapped in .4 SS ribbon. Dual coil 8 wraps at .2 at 60w. My goon RDA has twisted .5 square ss316l at .12. that's the only builds I remember at the moment. I want to try either a stagger build or alien next.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi PBody & welcome
Yeh been there and done that 3 times before I found the right one, woman not vape. Look at it this way, if she can do that to you would you really want to be hitched to her, of course not. So she just did you the biggest favor that she possibly could and woe to the next guy. Just one thing though, if you want to be a member here you have to give us all a solemn promise that when she comes back all doe eyed and apologetic and asking to get back together, you will tell her to take a hike.

On claptons, I've yet to decide they are worth the effort as I don't see much difference to a well built single wire coil.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. You might try getting your head around DIY next. That's a real distraction.
Might like to read:
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
Battery safety
Care and Use of 510, eGo and Variable Voltage Batteries
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Seems like a bunch of guys went through what I'm going through, but bounced back. That's positive energy right there, I needed that right now.

Thumpzilla, that ribbon wire build sounds serious. I would love to see a picture. I just figured out how to use my coilmaster properly and made my best twisted build by far. Leauges beyond what I've been doing. 8 wrap contact coil (previously couldnt fit a 6 wrap in my RDA it was all coming out so crappy). 24 ga SS316L. Dual coil. .12 watts in power, and 490 or lower in TCR at 125. Its so lovely man, im so happy with it. First build Im truly satisfied with.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Hi PBody & welcome
Yeh been there and done that 3 times before I found the right one, woman not vape. Look at it this way, if she can do that to you would you really want to be hitched to her, of course not. So she just did you the biggest favor that she possibly could and woe to the next guy. Just one thing though, if you want to be a member here you have to give us all a solemn promise that when she comes back all doe eyed and apologetic and asking to get back together, you will tell her to take a hike.

On claptons, I've yet to decide they are worth the effort as I don't see much difference to a well built single wire coil.
Can you elaborate on your comment about single wires? I've only been successfully building single and parallel coils right now, but, honestly that all taste kinda burnt by the time I reach a wattage with temperature and vapor production that I like. Maybe I'm building to low with too low a ga and too few wraps? Whats a good resistance to shoot for with single wires? How many wraps, what guage when using kanthal? Titanium?

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Can you elaborate on your comment about single wires? I've only been successfully building single and parallel coils right now, but, honestly that all taste kinda burnt by the time I reach a wattage with temperature and vapor production that I like. Maybe I'm building to low with too low a ga and too few wraps? Whats a good resistance to shoot for with single wires? How many wraps, what guage when using kanthal? Titanium?

I just meant a normal coil made from one strand of wire as opposed to say a clapton which has 2 strands of wire to create it, center wire and the wrapped one.

As to what resistance the coil should be, within certain limitations that is up to you. Your mod will have upper and lower limits on the ohms and you'll have to look that up. Typically they run about 0.15 ohms to 2.0 or 3.0 ohms. The lower the resistance the more power needed and the larger the vapor clouds. I usually build between 0.20 & 0.30 ohms but that's me. You should try different resistances out to end up with a preference of your own.

To decide how many wraps & what gauge wire to use you should reference a coil calculator, I usually use the steam engine one myself but there are more than one available on the web. I'm partial to SS 24 awg myself but will change it if the number of wraps I need won't fit the build deck I'm using. I like the heavier gauge wire because I'm usually trying to squeeze rayon wicking through it and lighter gauge wire can easily deform while doing this.

None of this however addresses your comment "honestly that all taste kinda burnt by the time I reach a wattage with temperature and vapor production that I like" It shouldn't taste burnt and it doing so really isn't about the size, type, or number of wraps in your coil. Burnt taste comes from too high a power, too little juice, too little air flow, and time to change the coil/wick, or some combination of these. I suspect what you refer to relates to improperly priming the wick before use. You not only want to saturate the coil with juice before its use you should also give it 15 minutes or so with its tank full for it to wick. Then start low and build power slowly to get to where you want.

If the burnt taste shows up after your initial vaping then you may be over vaping the coils ability to wick the juice fast enough. That could be a wicking problem or even the atty's design. Give us a bit more detail and maybe we can address that better for you.

Pauld9

May 15, 2016
Philadelphia,Pa

Better getting it out of the way early. Great concentration hobby, I will agree. Hey, whatever gets you through the night. It's alright, it's alright.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Welcome to the forums.

I just want to say, I'm sure your family is just happy it ended now, and not later when more was at stake..
:) they want the best for you, all of your friends and family, and a breakup isn't anything to be ashamed of. Better now than later, there are too many crazy people in this world, and you have to be super careful these days.

No worries, no shame.. just be happy as it could have been worse, you could have found out your weren't right for one another after a marriage..

I am sorry your heart got broken, but it's good your finding a hobby and moving on with life.. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread