Ohm Voltage Meter for Box Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Hi. To all here at ecigaretteforum.com. First thread for me here. I quit smoking 3 weeks ago. And absolutely like vaping. Its now a hobby of mine. Question. Looking for an ohms\voltage meter, that I can screw a Box Mod on to it, and an atty at the same time to see the voltage drop between the two. Been 3 weeks, looking and asking. Most ohm/voltage meters look like they are too small to fit an atty and a box mod at the same time. Ive seen videos and read alot of articles on mounting a mod, and any atomizer. And being able to test the true resistance or voltage drop. But all these where pens or round mechanical mods. I think an ohm/voltage meter is the most important item we vapors can have. Yet, it seems to me, it has the least amount of information on where to buy one, or which one to buy. Amazes me, because every article I read says how important it is to know the ohms law and blah blah blah. That's great and all. But come on. Most sites sell mechanical mods and or wire and box mods, and not an ohms tester with reviews, let alone maybe even different types, and brands. Crazy to me. And since this is a forum with folks that care about the "vaping World" as I know it. Us vapors need to help fix this problem. Im sick of looking at a computer screen, and reading. Only to find out the same ole ohms law pages and lectures of how to be a responsible vapor. Ive been to local shops. And they are too expensive, and have little or no knowledge. Unfortunately, vaping, I guess is still farely new to the world and its tough to get answers. For me atleast. Does anyone know of a website, in the US that sells a reputable ohm/voltage meter under say $50 ? And I think someone should have a thread or category or website. That is just about only ohm/voltage testers. Since this is the tool we should be using to test the attys and mods we build with the ohms law calculators!

Reactions: BrotherBob

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Reactions: coffinnail

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Thanks. gandymarsh. Ive been vaping off and on since 2012. Never with a mod or rebuildables. A friend of mine gave me an old DOGE RDA. And my HPRIV box mod seems fairly accurate. But I need a second opinion. I went to that site VapoRider you posted. Gr8 site. Thanks. Didn't have that in my favs til now. I found the coil master 521. Here is the link. Coil Master 521 Tab - VapoRider. Price is the best Ive seen. And it does look like the voltage checker that plugs into the box unit, is high enough to allow a box mod and an atty at the same time. Im just scared to use a Digital Multi Meter. So many people are saying not to use a DMM. And here is the other one they sale. Eleaf. Eleaf Digital Ohmmeter & Voltmeter - VapoRider But it doesn't look like a box mod and atty will fit side by side. Without extensions, or something, that will most likely throw off the true readings. I don't know. Im a concerned newb I guess. Thanks again gandymarsh. Gr8 site. VapoRider.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Welcome aboard! Nice to see that you're taking safety seriously! Have you read any of these blogs...
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Baditude's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

While I like the one @gandymarsh found, this might also work...

$7.13 E-Cigarette Battery Voltage Tester - 2.5-10V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Congrats on quitting smoking some 2,000 plus days ago. That's awesome. I feel better at just 3 weeks no analogs. Ive got Mooch's log in my favs. Thanks for the other will check them out. Crazy you mention FastTech. I ordered a PilotVape coil tester from them, but it was discontinued before my order was filled. Still, they are awesome. Slow maybe yes. But very good with communication, customer service. Thanks again. c ya round town.....

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Cheers! To be honest my counter may be a little less time than Ive actually been off cigarettes for. My old one was bang on accurate but I was on a bit of a hiatus from this site for about a year and my old counter site either closed down or discontinued my entry. I had to approximate this one and I feel like I might have undercut it. No matter, its been over 2 yrs and a :censored: of a lot of cigarettes not smoked and money not wasted!

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Cheers! To be honest my counter may be a little less time than Ive actually been off cigarettes for. My old one was bang on accurate but I was on a bit of a hiatus from this site for about a year and my old counter site either closed down or discontinued my entry. I had to approximate this one and I feel like I might have undercut it. No matter, its been over 2 yrs and a :censored: of a lot of cigarettes not smoked and money not wasted!
Amen. 2 years. Wow. I can hardly wait to be able to say that. Anything must me better than chewing tobacco and analogs.....almost anything. Vaping definitely smells and tastes better. And the actual vape is cool to the touch on exhale. Ive been reading up on the new studies. Seems the UK is on top.

"Ex-smokers who vape full time reduce toxins up to 97%" The lead author was Lion Shahab of University College London. It was funded by a grant from Cancer Research UK, and published in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine. We, the vapors, will prevail.......once big tobacco starts selling mods, attys, and ejuice.....lol......

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
That study was released 9 days ago. Any way back to keeping it safe and tasty. I want to vape at 1.0 ohms. Or better yet 1.4-1.6 ohms. So I should be safe with a Digital Multi Meter (DMM). Im sub ohming right now on a tank with pre fab coils. Honestly my ole Vision Spinner worked for me years ago. But I was using 36mg nicotine. Im now sub ohming 18mg nicotine making my own juice. Because Im going through so much ejuice sub ohming. My goal is to be able to find a coil build "the right ohms" for the ejuice I like, and of course the hardware makes a difference. Which takes us back to not just safety. An ohms/voltage meter is necessary to customize the flavor of the vape, and not break the bank buying ejuice, batteries, and hardware. Or the frustrations of shopping for all these things. Amazing. Even to me, as Im writing this. How essential the Ohms/Voltage Meter is.

Reactions: Eskie

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My Multimeter was $8.99 and I use tools that cost about $15.

The vaping industry will happily take your for $100 if you let them.

I used the Multimeter on the car yesterday. It works on everything.

I would like a dedicated coil reading & building 'block' but the chances of wasting $50 on such a product is zero. There's far too much overkill in all this building business. Half the time, I don't even use a meter anymore.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I was using a short piece of 2x4 with a 510 connector glued into it for building coils. I also have a couple of multimeters. I don't really use unregulated mods much so I don't need to know voltage drop or worry about shorts.

I finally broke down and bought one of these for under $18 on ebay. It provides a stable base and allows dry burning.

CoilMaster521MiniTab_1024x1024.jpg

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
To measure voltage drop, you need an inline volt meter. Fits between atomizer & mod. They run about 12usd.

As far as a Volt/ohm meter,,VOM, Try Elenco, analog meter, around 30usd. I made mine in a kit for 22. Can you solder?

Then there is the DMM, anywhere from 30 at radio shack to the 20,000 Agilent storage meters.
Actually, for vaping, a 25 dollar dmm will suffice,,see them at the Big Box, Klein i believe.
Go to Allied Electronics, Mouser, Test Depot to see a full array of meters.
The dedicated meters at vape shops are ok, but way over priced for a one trick pony.

Best thing about a DMM? The instruction manual. Great tutorials on how to use And Ohms law..

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Unfortunately, Vaping, I guess is still farely new to the world and its tough to get answers
Welcome and glad you joined. To get answers, you are in a great forum. Your question/request is way too technical for the average vaper like myself. We are talking here in the terms of temperature (delta T along with Wheatstone Bridge Circuit theory) affecting readings and that's just one variable. Good luck with answers though.

Reactions: coffinnail

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
My Multimeter was $8.99 and I use tools that cost about $15.

The vaping industry will happily take your for $100 if you let them.

I used the Multimeter on the car yesterday. It works on everything.

I would like a dedicated coil reading & building 'block' but the chances of wasting $50 on such a product is zero. There's far too much overkill in all this building business. Half the time, I don't even use a meter anymore.
This is the other side of the coin for me. Just using a DMM. Im really not interested in competition cloud blowing, or mechanical mods. 2d reason is Im just not really into sub-ohming. Thanks for your input. I feel much safer, the more people I hear are using a DMM, if anything. And Im surprised how accurate my "smart" box mod is. In fact I am vaping right now, on two pre-fabricated demon coils in my RDA. My box mod said .58 just as the coil manufacture said. After one week. Same cotton, and it reads .62 consistently. Yep, I just got home from work. And slapped on the ole doge. Same. .62 Thanks again.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Welcome and glad you joined. To get answers, you are in a great forum. Your question/request is way too technical for the average vaper like myself. We are talking here in the terms of temperature (delta T along with Wheatstone Bridge Circuit theory) affecting readings and that's just one variable. Good luck with answers though.
Never thought of how many variables are actually there. You are absolutely right. About heat. Im a machinist. And know how heat can affect metals, and we all know how if affects batteries. Not good for batteries. There is that nominal temp for all sorts of materials. So true. The list goooooes onnnn and on. Thanks for the tip.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Very happy with my Coil Master 521 Tab. Highly recommend... :D
Gr8 to hear another happy Coil Master customer. There is really only a couple of sites with reviews in English out there. All good so far. And I burnt the fuse out some how how on my Craftsman Digital Multi Meter. Thanks for the reply. Great to know.

Reactions: dobroeutro

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I will say that for sheer convenience in building, the 521 tab was a nice small luxury to get. I do all my building and wicking/rewicking on it and don't worry about tipping my mod over or getting a drop or two of juice dripped on the tab when wetting the wicks than I would with a mod (I hate juice on my mod, ever).

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi again Coffinnail
There are lots of testers on the market built for the vaping industry but if you are using a regulated variable mod why buy one? I have a perfectly good tester but can't be bothered to haul it out and put a battery in it when I have a perfectly good measure of the atty's resistance by mounting it back on the mod and since the very next step is to fire it and see if it's heating properly that's also best done on the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread