Keep it Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
I give my tanks a good cleaning when I first get them, and then when I decide to change e-liquids. Since I switched out to rebuildables, a dry firing and rinse is all I need right before I repack the cotton.

You know what comes in really handy? An ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. My cat decided to turn mine into a play thing and...well...I need a new unit, and this time I'll get a larger one that isn't easily knocked about lol.
Still laughing about the wish list unit, and the cat. U make a good point, "when I first get them" initial use. And "change e-liquids". "dry firing and rinse". Wow. Exactly what I did last run. Thanks for the input. Gr8 "intel".........lol.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Just to clarify this post. You rinse your coils with alcohol then light them up setting the coils on fire??? Just trying to be sure here. That just does not sound like a safe thing to do. Heat, OK. Flames, not so much.

I just dry burn my coils every time I rewick, and get an average of 3 months out of them, built with 316L.
Yes. Cool of you to notice I bothered to mention that bit. Thought Id have some fun. Im new to building. DIY vape, and read somewhere, alcohol cleans the coils good. So I had some 50% and some 91% alcohol. Having fun here. In this forum also. I continued on with the 91% alcohol. As quickly as I could. Just to see what would happen. As I said earlier. It "lit". But also on my behalf. 91% alcohol evaporates and burns so rapidly. Its really not dangerous. Like the "circus flame blower"...that's what we should call this thread...lol.....

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes. Cool of you to notice I bothered to mention that bit. Thought Id have some fun. Im new to building. DIY vape, and read somewhere, alcohol cleans the coils good. So I had some 50% and some 91% alcohol. Having fun here. In this forum also. I continued on with the 91% alcohol. As quickly as I could. Just to see what would happen. As I said earlier. It "lit". But also on my behalf. 91% alcohol evaporates and burns so rapidly. Its really not dangerous. Like the "circus flame blower"...that's what we should call this thread...lol.....

Well, I don't know what tank you're building on (apologies if I just missed it earlier in the thread) but do remember your build deck is more than just metal. There usually is a PEEK insulator in there, which while resistant to heat, isn't super resistant to flame. Melt that and buy another tank, as it's tough to source replacements of those with some tanks.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Not sure about what you are up to with that alcohol? I only use ISO when I want the unit to dry quickly. As far as I know alcohol will only kill germs and absorb water and has little use for actual cleaning. Juice is water soluble so rinsing is normally sufficient when say changing juice. If you've had any dry hits then you may find that there is soot left in your chimney and a tooth brush is too big to get in there, a paper towel will do. A bit of dish soap is good for most cleaning jobs. I label my attys otherwise I forget what flavor I've got in them and I use a bit of cooking oil to remove the gum from the atty's glass and then dish soap to remove the oil.

A short time exposed to alcohol will not hurt your o rings but silicone will happily absorb many chemicals if given time to do so. So wipe the alcohol off the rings if it gets on them and make sure you re-lube them again.

sorrynomore

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2014
Canada
...You know what comes in really handy? An ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. My cat decided to turn mine into a play thing and...well...I need a new unit, and this time I'll get a larger one that isn't easily knocked about lol...

I just dug an old technical pen ultrasonic cleaner out of my closet,it works great,you gotta be careful with any parts that have chipped paint as it tends to increase the missing paint.
I used to do the once a week hot water in the kitchen sink before I dug out the ultrasonic cleaner.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
sonic-screwdriver-590x304.jpg

Literally the ONLY tool needed for all your vaping needs! It cleans, its a screwdriver, its an allen key, it can be used as a mod....Definitely need the authentic as the clones just dont compare!

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
A short time exposed to alcohol will not hurt your o rings but silicone will happily absorb many chemicals if given time to do so. So wipe the alcohol off the rings if it gets on them and make sure you re-lube them again.
good point, silicone O-rings are great for sealing our attys, and need to be re-lubed before putting them away once cleaned with alcohol...think Ill just stay away from alcohol, one of the reasons I mentioned it in this thread was to see what you all thought about using alcohol...Im now convinced, alcohol is not needed to clean our hardware...water works fine...thanks to all that chimed in on that alcohol use...no more DUIs for me

sonic-screwdriver-590x304.jpg

Literally the ONLY tool needed for all your vaping needs! It cleans, its a screwdriver, its an allen key, it can be used as a mod....Definitely need the authentic as the clones just dont compare!
never seen one...what is it called?

Reactions: Darth Omerta

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I treat all new hardware to an ultrasonic cleaning with a drop or two of mild dish soap, also when switching flavors I'll rinse the tanks out and dry burn or replace the coil. Eskie has a point, be careful with your peek insulators they're heat resistant but flame will destroy them.

That's pretty much all I do, mods I'll wash with soapy water when needed to get juice off and dry after.

Reactions: coffinnail
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread