Need help in purchasing my first mod, batteries and charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
My only comment on the touch screen ( I have 2 of them) is that it really isn't necessary. I spend very little time actually making adjustments and 90% of that is nothing more than power or temp changes. There are other more important considerations in choosing a mod such as size, weight, and whether it addresses your current and possibly future needs.

There is nothing wrong with the gpriv but I myself wouldn't pay an extra $30 just for the touch screen option. Each to his own though.

Reactions: Eskie

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
Both very valid points, thanks guys.. Wasn't there a website where I could just type in what I was looking for ( alien, pico, etc ) and it would list all the vendors and the price for whatever I'm looking for? There are so many online vendors now, it would be nice to go to one place, then just know right off the bat where the best price is

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Both very valid points, thanks guys.. Wasn't there a website where I could just type in what I was looking for ( ALien, pico, etc ) and it would list all the vendors and the price for whatever I'm looking for? There are so many online vendors now, it would be nice to go to one place, then just know right off the bat where the best price is

Vapecrawler. Not always up to date but still useful.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
just a quick question.... Is the Gpriv worth $30 more than the Alien? Im at a hault, but the touch screen on the gpriv, as well as coming with the big baby beast is tempting

Solve your indecision by getting both!

But seriously, I have both and there are plusses and minuses for both. I have problems with my hands, so the biggest plus for me is both having the fire bar. I really like the size and feel of the Alien, but navigating the menu is a bit more involved. Biggest advantage of the G-Priv is the touch screen and quick, easy navigation. While I make few changes in my settings, I frequently lock/unlock the screen and/or mod. On the G-Priv, a one button push locks the screen and 3 clicks of the fire bar locks the mod. Downside is the added size, but with the included sleeve, it is more comfortable then my other large mods.

So having said all that, if just comparing price, I would compare the G-Priv kit with the Big Baby to the Alien mod alone and adding the Big Baby. Or even getting the Alien kit and adding the Big Baby. Quick, easy way to change flavors.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks again everyone.

Just to double check before I order.. because this seems really cheap for a kit to me... But this is the entire kit correct? The title doesn't say kit , but it's in the starter kit section

Smok Alien 220W Mod $49.99 - Starter Kit

Yup. that's fine. Decent price too. If you like the BB, you can always buy a BBB down the road. They use the same coils so no loss there.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Solve your indecision by getting both!

But seriously, I have both and there are plusses and minuses for both. I have problems with my hands, so the biggest plus for me is both having the fire bar. I really like the size and feel of the Alien, but navigating the menu is a bit more involved. Biggest advantage of the G-Priv is the touch screen and quick, easy navigation. While I make few changes in my settings, I frequently lock/unlock the screen and/or mod. On the G-Priv, a one button push locks the screen and 3 clicks of the fire bar locks the mod. Downside is the added size, but with the included sleeve, it is more comfortable then my other large mods.

So having said all that, if just comparing price, I would compare the G-Priv kit with the Big Baby to the Alien mod alone and adding the Big Baby. Or even getting the Alien kit and adding the Big Baby. Quick, easy way to change flavors.

I agree. Having both would be better. They both seem to have qualities that the others don't. But I personally prefer the G-Priv. Although I just got mine yesterday, I'm loving it. It's not that the device is better than all the others out there. But the touch screen is a lot better than any other of the devices I currently own.

At the beginning of this month I bought my son an alien for his birthday. But last week when I ordered my G-Priv I showed it to him before made the purchase. He said he wanted one too, so I ended up buying two of them. Today I asked him which one was better and he said he liked the alien because of its size. But he likes the G-Priv better because of the touch screen. And I'm pretty sure there will be a lot more touch screens coming out in the near future. It's just good. Really good

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016
Smok X Cube Ultra is a good 2 battery mod (i love it) I have it in stainless which means never any paint chipping because there is no paint to chip. I top it with the Griffin 25+ which is an outstanding RTA. You of course would have to be comfortable with wraping coils and wicking in order to make use of such a device, but the coil options are limitless essentially. I use Samsung 25R's That is my $0.02. What works for me doesnt equate for everyone. What i can say is flavor is outstanding, to the point i cannot ever go to a B&M and sample flavors, the devices dont put out enough to taste them anymore and are largely MTL testers around here. Thankfully i DIY everything so no issue but sometimes like to go tasting to see what i want to make next. Good luck on your search!

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
The Pico is a bit smaller, and a bit cheaper, but you are limited to tanks 23 mm and under, unlike the AL86 which will accept a 25 mm tank.

Right, I forgot that.. I would be all over the AL85 if it had a bit more power.. If I wanted a Cleito 120, Cloud beast , or other tank that wants 100+ watts, I didnt want to be handcuffed to pushing it to the max 85 watts all the time

I'll probably never use more that 120-150 watts , so technically the Alien 220 is overkill, but it will be nice only having to use 1/2 of its potential power, as well as retaining great battery life

Reactions: Eskie

mj79

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
mn
I keep reading reviews on bad SMOK coils , I don't know if its an old issue, or no... ALso seeing that the .2 ohm version seems to be the best of both worlds , with good Vapor and great flavor.. The latter being the most important to me

Baby Beast V8-T8 Octuple Coil 0.15ohm:
  • Designed for: 50-110W / Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 60-80W
Baby Beast V8-Q2 Dual Coil 0.4ohm:
  • Designed for: 40-80W / Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 55-65W
Baby Beast V8-X4 Quadruple Coil 0.15ohm:
  • Designed for: 30-70W / Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 45-60W
Baby Beast V8-T6 Sextuple Coil 0.2ohm:
  • Designed for: 40-130W / Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 70-90W

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Alien is great. I'm sitting her vaping on it right now with a Super tank on top using a ceramic EUC Vaporesso coil in a BVC sleeve. Works like a charm. The Al85 could be a nice backup as a secondary device.

With all these coils, the "recommended Wattage Range" is frequently inflated. Think of it like believing in only using high octane for an engine that only needs regular. Start low and work your way up. I would not be surprised if your sweet spot is on the lower end of the scale, and possibly below the scale. There may be specific times it'll be fun to run a coil at a high power, but your day to day selections will likely be a bit milder. Or not. We all have our own preferences.

As to Smok coil problems I can provide no insight. I've read some folks getting weeks out of a coil and others days (which is uncool as they're pretty expensive). I expect it's a question of the juice (sweeter=gunkier) and power applied.

Reactions: Kathibg57

BobbyFromTheFlavorCloud

Unregistered Supplier
Mar 2, 2017
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread