A Couple of Questions on Using Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
This week I will be ordering DIY supplies, not DIY'd before, but have done a bunch of reading and research before now. Did have a couple of questions though on nicotine.

1) Storing. Plan to buy as much as I can in my current budget now and more in the future. Ordered the amber glass bottle for storing in one of my deep freezes, will also plan on vacuum sealing the bottles for both protection from breaking/leaking and from oxygen. My question is if it is okay to purge the amber bottles with CO2 before transferring to keep oxygen out? Seen other gases suggested (nitro and argon) but nothing on CO2. I have a small scale brewery in my garage, use plenty of CO2 in brewing and purging a Boston Round bottle is no problem compared to any other bottle or keg i purge for beer. Just need to know if CO2 is okay using with nicotine.

2) My other question with nicotine is could someone guesstimate how long my supply will last. My first purchase will be 250ml of 100mg. Just to give some numbers on the higher end of my average: I vape 15ml/day of 6mg juice currently. Actually most days is lower ml and I have been lowering my nic to 4.5mg (by blending) or 3mg (what I blend my 6mg with) so my nic usage is decreasing. Just was wondering for the future so i have an idea how much nic to purchase next time to cover me for so many years.

Luckily I have some things already from brewing and blending (great scale, syringes, bottles, a few other things) so most of my budget is going to liquids. Planning on focusing on a few specific recipes my wife and I picked out and try to nail them (for our taste) before trying others. Pretty much what I do with my home fermenting and barbecuing. Looking foward to experimenting :)

Reactions: kas122461

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I can't answer your first question, but for the second one:

At 15mL/day of 6mg nic eliquid...your 250mL of 100mg/mL nic base will last you 277.7 days, or about 9.26 months.

If you used 15mL/day of 4.5mg nic eliquid...the same 250mL of 100mg/mL nic base would last you approx. 370.3 days, slightly more than a year.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I can't answer your first question, but for the second one:

At 15mL/day of 6mg nic eliquid...your 250mL of 100mg/mL nic base will last you 277.7 days, or about 9.26 months.

If you used 15mL/day of 4.5mg nic eliquid...the same 250mL of 100mg/mL nic base would last you approx. 370.3 days, slightly more than a year.

Big thanks! Good to know, gives me some idea without a formula what my next nic purchase will be. Wife and I may use up to 10ml daily, the 15ml is more of a lazy weekend/lots of drive time. Also planning on getting down to 3mg or lower.

Reactions: JCinFLA

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Argon is used because it's heavier than air and settles on the nic. CO2 can find it's way out of the bottle, Argon won't. Some of the nic gurus here don't believe it's important and i'm inclined to agree.

Thanks! If it's not really needed, won't worry about it. Just something I have plenty on hand and the capability to use.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Big thanks! Good to know, gives me some idea without a formula what my next nic purchase will be. Wife and I may use up to 10ml daily, the 15ml is more of a lazy weekend/lots of drive time. Also planning on getting down to 3mg or lower.

You're welcome! Maybe these will help further.

If/when you could do only 10mL/day @ 6mg nic eliquids...that same 250mL of 100mg/mL would last you 416.67 days, or about 1 year and 1 1/2 months.

If you use 15mL/day @ just 3mg nic eliquids...the 250mL of 100mg/mL would last you 555.56 days, or about 1 year and 6 1/2 months.

With any of those that I've posted, it's easy then to figure how long a liter (1000mL) of the 100mg/mL at each consumption rate and nic mg level would last you, too. Buying by the liter, if/when finances permit it, definitely saves some money in the longrun, too.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Just need to know if CO2 is okay using with nicotine.
I will start out by saying "I have NO idea."

I thought I have heard this mentioned but I could find no reference to it. I did find several discussions about nitrogen and argon but CO2 was conspicuously missing. You could go over to the Ask The Chemist thread and ask there, or shoot a PM at @Kurt who is another resident chemist with an interest in DIY and has shared his knowledge with the community frequently in the past.

The nitrogen/argon discussions have lead me to share the view of @sofarsogood. The benefit of any displacement gas is negligible and any real payoff comes mostly as "peace of mind." :D

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
You're welcome! Maybe these will help further.

If/when you could do only 10mL/day @ 6mg nic eliquids...that same 250mL of 100mg/mL would last you 416.67 days, or about 1 year and 1 1/2 months.

If you use 15mL/day @ just 3mg nic eliquids...the 250mL of 100mg/mL would last you 555.56 days, or about 1 year and 6 1/2 months.

With any of those that I've posted, it's easy then to figure how long a liter (1000mL) of the 100mg/mL at each consumption rate and nic mg level would last you, too. Buying by the liter, if/when finances permit it, definitely saves some money in the longrun, too.

I was calculating and guessed 5-6 years at 3mg if i bought a liter on my next purchase. Don't know if I will ever do 0mg but started at 24mg and haven't had any negative "symptoms" besides a little mood adjustment each time I decrease, which usually goes away after a couple of days/less than a week so far.

Figure I will work on the DIY juice this spring then add learning rebuilding coils this summer.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I will start out by saying "I have NO idea."

I thought I have heard this mentioned but I could find no reference to it. I did find several discussions about nitrogen and argon but CO2 was conspicuously missing. You could go over to the Ask The Chemist thread and ask there, or shoot a PM at @Kurt who is another resident chemist with an interest in DIY and has shared his knowledge with the community frequently in the past.

The nitrogen/argon discussions have lead me to share the view of @sofarsogood. The benefit of any displacement gas is negligible and any real payoff comes mostly as "peace of mind." :D

Figured the same myself. Could maybe see a difference if I was only storing the nic cold instead of in the freezer. All for not doing needless steps in any process.

Reactions: IDJoel

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Here is the way those numbers were calculated for you.
Formula was provided by SalemGold.

Here is an example using the numbers that you provided.

You vape 15 mls of 6 mg each day = 15 mls x 6 mg = 90 mgs
90 mgs x 365 ( days in 1 year) = 32,850 mg

You are buy 250 ml of 100mg = 25,000mg
250 ml x 100 mg =25,000 mg in each 250 ml bottle

take the 25,000mg and divided by the 32,850 mg that you use = 0.76

So, 250 ml of 100 mg nicotine would last you about 3/4 of a year.( as JC said)

Just thought you might like to see how your numbers were arrived at.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Here is the way those numbers were calculated for you.

Well, I actually did it alittle differently, but managed to arrive at the same conclusions as SalemGold. :)

I took consumption: 15mL/day @ 6mg = 90mg/day

Nic: 250mL bottle x 100mg/mL = 25,000mg

25,000mg divided by 90mg/day = 277.77 days, then divide 277.77 days by approx. 30days/month = about 9.26 months

For each different mL/day and mg of nic consumption...just substituted where needed and out popped the # of days. My retired teacher brain just worked alittle differently to achieve the same goal is all. :D

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Well, I actually did it alittle differently, but managed to arrive at the same conclusions as SalemGold. :)

I took consumption: 15mL/day @ 6mg = 90mg/day

Nic: 250mL bottle x 100mg/mL = 25,000mg

25,000mg divided by 90mg/day = 277.77 days, or about 9.26 months

For each different mL/day and mg of nic consumption...just substituted where needed and out popped the # of days. My retired teacher brain just worked alittle differently to achieve the same goal is all. :D
Sounds like a plan.

:)

eta Nothing wrong with doing it daily or yearly. OP sounds like he could use both ways for his purpose.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... My question is if it is okay to purge the amber bottles with CO2 before transferring to keep oxygen out? Seen other gases suggested (nitro and argon) but nothing on CO2. ...

That's a Really Good Question. Surprised it has Not been asked before.

I don't have any 1st Hand knowledge about C02 stored Nicotine Base. But it sounds like it should work.

Here is a Detailed Article I found which is Kinda Long, but Detailed.

Carbon Dioxide and Nitrogen | Food Storage FAQ, Version 4.0

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread