Status
Not open for further replies.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
Sooo i missed you guys. My Grandchildren's other Grandmother died this past week.She had cancer but the kids didn't know it so it was quite a shock for them.I went to my Daughter's to be there with them. They actually knew her better than they do me. She had them at least once a week.They're not doing OK especially the middle one. He's acting out.His teacher called my daughter to tell her that he was really acting out in school which is unusual for him. My Daughter told the teacher about what happened then she understood.I'm not sure I agreed with not telling them. They could prepare a little bit. Not an easy decision on how to handle it.The oldest and youngest seemed to be as OK as one could be when I left. The middle one is a wreck.

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA
Oh no, I'm so sorry. I should have remembered where I am typing. This place is for people that have stopped smoking and here I am talking about cigars. I promise I will never mention them again.

Sorry FV. That was just stupid of me and I would feel really bad if someone started smoking again because of it. :(

No, no.... We can reminisce without risking smoking again. Out of curiosity, I took a drag off of my son's cigarette a couple of years ago, and I spit for 10 minutes. However, I still love the smell of a good cigar, and I miss enjoying one myself now and then.

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
Sooo i missed you guys. My Grandchildren's other Grandmother died this past week.She had cancer but the kids didn't know it so it was quite a shock for them.I went to my Daughter's to be there with them. They actually knew her better than they do me. She had them at least once a week.They're not doing OK especially the middle one. He's acting out.His teacher called my daughter to tell her that he was really acting out in school which is unusual for him. My Daughter told the teacher about what happened then she understood.I'm not sure I agreed with not telling them. They could prepare a little bit. Not an easy decision on how to handle it.The oldest and youngest seemed to be as OK as one could be when I left. The middle one is a wreck.
What awful news. :( I'm don't agree with not telling them. Sonny was so upset when he lost a grandma, but he did know she was dying and I think that made it a bit easier for him to understand. His cousin wasn't told and she was a mess for quite awhile. She thought everyone she loved was going to start dropping like flies on her. Poor kid. They handle things better when we give them as much information as they can understand. :2c:

Tiff needs to pop in and see her birthday wishes!

Taco salad for dinner. Quick, easy, it's a win. :)

RickMc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
Fontana, CA

I'm sorry to hear this, Stretchy. I agree with FV on this one. I don't think keeping news like this from kids is sparing them anything except perhaps the chance to process the loss more gradually. I think youre right about preparing a little bit.

I hope he gets all the love and support he needs. Different kids react differently to things, and it sounds like he's taking this especially hard.

Bamrz

Z.A.P.T. Member*
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2010
PA, near Philly
So sorry for your loss, Stretchy.

What awful news. :( I'm don't agree with not telling them. Sonny was so upset when he lost a grandma, but he did know she was dying and I think that made it a bit easier for him to understand. His cousin wasn't told and she was a mess for quite awhile. She thought everyone she loved was going to start dropping like flies on her. Poor kid. They handle things better when we give them as much information as they can understand. :2c:

Tiff needs to pop in and see her birthday wishes!

Taco salad for dinner. Quick, easy, it's a win. :)
I agree with telling them as much as they understand. I've been like that with my boys from way back, and thankfully my parents were like that with me. My favorite aunt (mom's sister) had a lung removed due to cancer, and I had a cousin that would have been my age that was hit by a bus, parents explained well enough not to scare me, but let me understand how serious it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread