Looking for 24mm SS 18-series non-hybrid, non-spring-buttoned non-ugly tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
So yeah. I'm searching for a tube.
I have been surfing the webs for days, and I'm just not finding what I want. I was hoping someone here might be able to help me.
It needs to be:
  • Made of stainless steel, for durability and lightness.
  • 24mm in diameter, to fit my favorite attys.
  • Not hybrid, for versatility.
  • Compatible with 18650, 18500 and 18350 cells.
  • With a locking mechanism
  • Not spring button. Preferrably magnet or other.
  • Not ugly. I like a clean design.
I did almost find my perfect mech. The VLS Ragnarök in ss had been absolutely perfect, if it wasn't for the spring button. Many people are reporting problems with hot buttons.
Does anything come to mind? Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Winblows

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Going to be a tough one. There are a few 18650 24mm tube mechs : Manhattan, VGOD, Phantom, but not sure if they have magnets. Most of these are not plain in looks, actually quite elaborately decorated.

Plain 24mm usually use 26650 batteries and some do have magnets. Some people like magnets, but I usually dont. Most are kinda stiff, or the magnets break or get hot switchs, at least the ones Ive tried except for one.

23mm you do have a lot more to choose from, GP X ( spring ) JM Workers ( discontinued ) Taifun Scarab and the Vireo.( side switch )

There is the Super T ELA, its 24mm takes any battery, but it has a spring. The only magnet switch that I have enjoyed is the Nanos by MMV, but its 22.6 mm but does take all batteries and is one of the best modular tube mechs Ive ever used.

I hope someone chimes in with more to offer. I think that most mechs can be modified to use magnets , but you have to find the right size and shape or you will have contact with metal/ shorts and or hot switches.

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Going to be a tough one. There are a few 18650 24mm tube mechs : Manhattan, VGOD, Phantom, but not sure if they have magnets. Most of these are not plain in looks, actually quite elaborately decorated.

Plain 24mm usually use 26650 batteries and some do have magnets. Some people like magnets, but I usually dont. Most are kinda stiff, or the magnets break or get hot switchs, at least the ones Ive tried except for one.

23mm you do have a lot more to choose from, GP X ( spring ) JM Workers ( discontinued ) Taifun Scarab and the Vireo.( side switch )

There is the Super T ELA, its 24mm takes any battery, but it has a spring. The only magnet switch that I have enjoyed is the Nanos by MMV, but its 22.6 mm but does take all batteries and is one of the best modular tube mechs Ive ever used.

I hope someone chimes in with more to offer. I think that most mechs can be modified to use magnets , but you have to find the right size and shape or you will have contact with metal/ shorts and or hot switches.
I only own a broadside, which has a clutch system switch.
I haven't actually tried magnets or springs. I'm just being skeptical with springs, because it seems weird to have the current pass through a spring. But that's maybe silly of me.
Are springs more resilient? The reason I want an ss mod, is that I want it to last for a long time.

Oh and that Super T ELA looks very nice, but sooooooo expensive!!!

Reactions: anavidfan

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I only own a broadside, which has a clutch system switch.
I haven't actually tried magnets or springs. I'm just being skeptical with springs, because it seems weird to have the current pass through a spring. But that's maybe silly of me.
Are springs more resilient? The reason I want an ss mod, is that I want it to last for a long time.

Oh and that Super T ELA looks very nice, but sooooooo expensive!!!

The spring doesn't form part of the circuit, its there for the action in the button. Hot button is caused when it does form part of the circuit, but that's usually because the switch needs servicing.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
A 24 mm wouldn't fit a 26650. 26650s are 26 mm.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk
OOPs, I dont own any, so.......

But Ben85 is correct, the spring should not be part of the circuit.

Switch only gets hot/ warm when there is a problem. Magnets tend to get oxidized. I only ever had warm switch when I tried using magnets on some of my tube mechs. Changed to spring, no problems.

Only magnet tube mech that I have that is perfection is the Nanos. It uses 6 sm magnets (3 on each side) best switch ever. But it is only 22.6mm

lvon

Feb 11, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
The spring doesn't form part of the circuit, its there for the action in the button. Hot button is caused when it does form part of the circuit, but that's usually because the switch needs servicing.
Ok. I had misunderstood spring switches then.
It seems that most of you prefer springs to magnets, so maybe I should look into that. Maybe there is more to choose from.
That also means, that the vls Ragnarök would make sense to buy, but it does have some downsides. Particularly in the adjustment screw at the positive. It's veery looong, so that adds a lot to the overall length, and it's not reverse threaded, so according to GrimGreen, it tends to screw itself back up to, when the top is screwed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread