What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Well, the blower is back together although I forgot to tighten down one of the screws on the rubber paddles that was loose but a stubby screw driver should make that easy. I had to grind that shoulder down to the 6mm that the rest of the bolt was which I didn't expect to have to do when I was analyzing it. It was pretty easy because the threads sat below the grips on the drill. Now to find out if they hold up.

Decided to get some help on my expanding waistline so I bit the bullet on Nutrisystem. It's really not a bad program and I think I'll be wearing those smaller jeans by mid spring. My back issues were hitting the bottom for me. Carrying 30 or 40 less pounds can't hurt.

Reactions: firechick

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Whew, I'm actually glad to be back to work this week. I'm not lying, I was about this close to dying last week. Ok, just kidding, I wasn't really that close. But man did I feel like it (just ask my wife). Worse cold/flu/fever/sore throat I have ever had. All started on Sunday with a little tickle in my throat. Made it to work on Monday and just went down hill from there. By Tuesday I lost my voice, couldn't get warm, couldn't eat because it hurt to swallow too much. I never made it back to work until today. I'm knee deep in antibiotics and still ain't feeling 100%. Doc said I probably had the flu, plus a mild case of bronchitis, and maybe a splash of strep. He was dumbfounded by all the things wrong with me. My fever finally broke Saturday night and I finally started feeling better yesterday. I hope no one gets this crap, it is nasty and truly the sickest I have ever been in my 47 years on this dirt ball. Oh, and I sold my son's dirtbikes and bought a fishing boat. So it wasn't all bad. ;)

Reactions: firechick

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
My uncle, who passed away last month, was very sharp most of his life. We started noticing when his memory started slipping in his late 80s. He did a decent job of hiding it but it was the first time it was noticeable. Even in the last year or so, when he really couldn't remember things, he was alert enough to realize he couldn't

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I'm counting on it. I saw my first serious girlfriend a couple days ago after just over 50 years. Tracking her down was a story in itself but she lives in Georgia and has been married 35 years after her divorce. I'd become friends on FB with both her and her husband so it was a really great meeting.

The subject of age and Alzheimer disease came up. His dad died from it after seven years of suffering. He retired and soon thereafter he developed it. I asked Thomas how active, mentally, he was before he developed the problem. Basically, when he retired, he retired from doing anything. The people I've know with the disease were much like that. I think it's like anything else, don't use it lose it. At least that's the approach I'm taking.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I agree with that. I'm bad about doing a whole lot of nothing when I have time off if we don't have a project going. Especially in the winter. I was thinking that when I retire that I either need to take a part time job for fun or add a hobby or two. Who knows, by then I will probably have grandkids to keep me busy. My oldest turns 20 in a couple months and the youngest is 16. I figure I've got at least another 20 to go if I am ready to retire at 67. My full retirement age is 71 but I don't know if I'll go that long. I hope to be financially secure by then that it will be a choice instead of a have to.

Reactions: rothenbj

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    My two living grandparents are just like that, keeping busy and still sharp as a tack.

My paternal grandfather is 92 and always has a project. He recently had a hospital stay because he just about cut one of his fingers off on a table saw he was using for making 3ft tall painted wooden lighthouses with LED dusk to dawn lights.

My maternal grandmother is 85 and after retirement was always going somewhere. Traveling, bridge club, senior dances etc.

Like you you said, if you don't use it you lose it. I knew several guys who retired out of the foundry after 35+ years, went home and sat on the couch and watched t.v. all day and ended up passing less than a year after retirement.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well there won't be a lot of couch sitting after the burning season ends. Fellows dropped off a load of logs this morning, some of which are going to be a challenge. Most are 12-16" round which will be easy to buck and split. A few are in the 2 foot and wider range and I only have 18" bars.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    No, I have a splitter but it's still work. The bar is the length of the cutting portion of a chainsaw. 18" doesn't cut through 24" and 24" logs don't roll over easily at 5 foot long. They're going to be a challenge to get bucked (the process of getting the 5' logs into 15" sections) then split. A 24"x 15" round (the bucked log) is plenty heavy and getting it into the splitter is work.

Esoterica3

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2011
    Sedona, AZ
    www.leslivresthebooks.com
    Hi all! Hope everyone is well :)

Haven't posted here in a very long time lol. Anyway, I did finally manage to give up the analogs with the help of Om WTA.

But had bought a bunch of General snus awhile back (2013) to be exact, and it has been in my freezer ever since. Never really worked for me as i produce too much saliva lol....

So was wondering if anyone wanted it (for a donation plus shipping cost)? I have 8 General White, 6 General mint and 4 General Nordic mint.

Let me know your thoughts...and hope it's ok to post this here...

Last edited:
    Reactions: hittman

Users who are viewing this thread