Noob to Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluebirdGal

Feb 27, 2017
Gunnison, CO
Good afternoon all.

On both the strong desire to quit smoking cigs (for the upteenth million time), along with the recommendation of a vaping friend, I have landed here to learn and take in all the moral support I can get.

36yrs of smoking about 2packs per day. Tried the patches and the original e-cigs that would burn a hole in your lip, to no avail over the years. Too freaked out about Chantix to ever consider it so a'vapiing we will go in hopes of the many successes I'm reading here.

I purchased, for starters, an eGO AIO; along with Joyetech's classic tobacco 18mg liquid that is a 60/40 VG/PG blend. Even a hardcore cig smoker like myself really gave myself a head rush on the 18mg, trying to hit this thing like a draw off a smoke. Whew!

So while I'm learning the lingo, I am also looking into the 1.0 and 1.5 coils for the AIO, a "backup" device with a few more options (like removable, cleanable coils, etc.) and have just ordered from the naturally extracted folks a couple of 70/30, 12mg juices to try and continue to make this a successful experience.

Thanks to all of you who's questions and countless answers I've been reading and researching already.

spazatabc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Randleman, NC
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot you can learn. I started with a eGo AIO box mod, then a tube mod, and now I am using a VV mod (Wisemec RX2/3). I've enjoy my RDTA and making the coils for it. It has been a experience quitting smoking but I feel a heck of a lot better. Just stick with it and hopefully it will get easier the longer you stay away from the cigarettes.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Welcome BBG! Yep, the Chantix is okay if your system is well maintained and a doctor is monitoring. My system had 35 years of smoke in it. o_O

Stick with just getting off the cigs. When I run across a juice with higher nic, I just know that I am going to take less draws per hour. Usually it is when someone says I just have to taste their newest creation. I started at 36mg and I got confidence that it would give me my nic fix VERY quickly. At about the two year mark I was down to next to nothing. I didn't see a reason to really rush. The important thing my doc said was that I was not inhaling all the cancerous chemicals.

First, your body will be angry that you are not getting those chemicals. It takes a week or two to get a lot purged. I remember bad breath. Just the crap in the lungs. Smell was a couple more weeks and then taste after that. My dentist even noticed healthier gums. I did not tell him why, though.

Read the forums. I still do. Information is power. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @BluebirdGal

I have a patchy history with Joyetech. I actually boycotted them for 365 days once.
The only coil I use out of the modern "BF" range is the 0.6ohm (mouth to lung) stainless steel found in the AIO kits and suitable for certain other tanks.
The others are either spitty, floody or plain tasteless. Be warned... this is not a figment of my imagination.
I also use something called CLR (more old-style) where you can re-wick.
Re-wicking is different to just cleaning; it involves removing the cotton, gently heating up the coil to burn off residue.
2 packs a day is a challenge, but with the right equipment, I am confident for you. :)

PS - I skipped the drugs, but I did use NRT in conjunction with e-cigs until I realized it was the totally rubbish e-cig not me that was the problem. That was over 1,000 days ago.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @BluebirdGal and good luck on kicking the sticks. Your story is very similar to mine (and probably many others), many attempts followed by failures.

IMHO, one of the most important factors in vaping success is finding at least one great flavor. A flavor that given the choice of a cig or a vape, the latter wins out every time. Even when you think you have found that one, keep looking. There is a really good chance you will find one even better. And broaden your range of flavors. I just wanted a tobacco flavor when I started, but have since found others that taste much better. Even a couple that, based on the make-up I would have never tried, turned out to be quite nice.

That is one of the things great about vaping. Smoking was the same thing, over and over, day after day. Being able to switch up flavors whenever you like is something I really enjoy and do regularly, several times a day. It just doesn't get any better then that! :vapor:

Good luck! You can do this!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Hi BlueBird. Yeah, even coming from 2 packs a day 18 mg might be a head rush. Then again I needed 24 mg when I first started, so we're all different and there's no one size fits all solution. It does sound like you're off to a good start. You'll see how you like the NETs, some people are big fans, others prefer different juice. But going to a 12 mg might lessen the rush the 18 mg was giving you and be a better fit.

You've been doing your reading to know a backup is really important to have. Lots of reasonably priced stuff out there, so give a call when you're ready for that next step.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I use the 0.6, 1.0 and 1.5 coils. If you are looking for hotter more vapor you use the 0.6. Most battery life you use the 1.5. Something in the middle use the 1.0. Clear as mudd, right?

As for the head rush on the 18mg. Go to Walmart in the pharmacy area and find glycerin (approx. $3,95). You can weaken your liquid with it until you order some 0mg of you current flavor.

gycerine.jpeg

Reactions: BluebirdGal

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I quit a 30+ year cigarette addiction with vaping- over 2 years ago! It was still tough even with ecigs! You need will power too! I gave myself 2 weeks to step down, the last week I actually used non menthol(I was a menthol smoker) yuck those were horrible, my vape tasted way better! Make a contest with yourself, I set the date and Bam I said NO more cigarettes, don't get me wrong, I still wanted them, but talked myself out of them and just vaped more!
Everyone quits their own way, you have to find yours- remember that cigarettes are not your comfort or your friends, you have to get mad and fall out of love with them! Vaping does work if you give it a chance!
Always have backup gear- another mod,tank,coils,eliquid, if the AIO is working for you -might be a wise choice to get another one until you have time to research your up grade gear and before spending a ton of money and find that vaping is not for you- Cigarettes are not a back up plan!
Best of luck!
Stay Strong and Vape On

I was a smoker for 12 years. I never thought I'd be able to quit as I was a cig roller and it was cheaper. Then I lost the "vaping is for losers" attitude and jumped on board. The first two weeks was a huge test because I was learning the lingo and having trouble getting used to my devices.
Now, almost a year later I am still going strong (even started making my own ejuice- cheaper yet!)
Vaping is a blessing and you found the right site to support an guide you!

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Good afternoon all.
On both the strong desire to quit smoking cigs (for the upteenth million time), along with the recommendation of a vaping friend, I have landed here to learn and take in all the moral support I can get.
36yrs of smoking about 2packs per day. Tried the patches and the original e-cigs that would burn a hole in your lip, to no avail over the years. Too freaked out about Chantix to ever consider it so a'vapiing we will go in hopes of the many successes I'm reading here.
I purchased, for starters, an eGO AIO; along with Joyetech's classic tobacco 18mg liquid that is a 60/40 VG/PG blend. Even a hardcore cig smoker like myself really gave myself a head rush on the 18mg, trying to hit this thing like a draw off a smoke. Whew!
So while I'm learning the lingo, I am also looking into the 1.0 and 1.5 coils for the AIO, a "backup" device with a few more options (like removable, cleanable coils, etc.) and have just ordered from the naturally extracted folks a couple of 70/30, 12mg juices to try and continue to make this a successful experience.
Thanks to all of you who's questions and countless answers I've been reading and researching already.
Welcome and glad you joined. You have made some good choices in equipment. Best to start non sub ohm and learn the basics. Before you know it, I bet you will be down in the 6-3mg area.
Might like to read:
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
vapetown
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
May 2016 / Smoking Vapor
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I quit a 30+ year cigarette addiction with vaping- over 2 years ago! It was still tough even with ecigs! You need will power too! I gave myself 2 weeks to step down, the last week I actually used non menthol(I was a menthol smoker) yuck those were horrible, my vape tasted way better! Make a contest with yourself, I set the date and Bam I said NO more cigarettes, don't get me wrong, I still wanted them, but talked myself out of them and just vaped more!
Everyone quits their own way, you have to find yours- remember that cigarettes are not your comfort or your friends, you have to get mad and fall out of love with them! Vaping does work if you give it a chance!

This may be the best way for you to quit - it certainly worked for SnapDragon NY - or it may not. I'll second the "Everyone quits their own way" part.

I needed a completely different approach. Too much pressure and I tend to sabotage myself. I ordered the kit and told myself that it would be nice if I smoked less and saved a bit of money. The hope that I might switch completely was in the back of my head, but I didn't make it a rigid goal.

I had just bought a carton when the gear arrived. Over the next week, I gradually vaped more and smoked less. When I got to the point I'd usually buy a new carton I said "Yay! Look how many cigs I have left." Success is very encouraging.

As I reached my last pack, I finally let myself think "What if I don't buy a new one right away? There's a 24 hour store a block away, so if I really want a cig I can get one at any time." The thought of not having any cigs on hand was a bit scary, but it didn't seem too overwhelming if I could get them at any time. Long story short, I still haven't bought that next pack and that was four years ago.

Any approach that works for you is the right one. Just don't give up if you slip up! Forgive yourself and pick up your vape again.

Best of luck for an easy transition!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Yes, a back up device is a must for many reasons, so think about possibly getting something just in case. Also I hear a lot of people already telling you how they went from 18 to 6, or 12 to 3 mg of nic, don't really think about that at this point. The most important thing is to completely kick the cig habit first, this can take a long time depending on the individual. I personally believe that once you can honestly say I would never smoke again, even if I couldn't vape, then maybe think about lowering nic levels. Anyways good luck my friend and welcome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
This may be the best way for you to quit - it certainly worked for SnapDragon NY - or it may not. I'll second the "Everyone quits their own way" part.

I needed a completely different approach. Too much pressure and I tend to sabotage myself. I ordered the kit and told myself that it would be nice if I smoked less and saved a bit of money. The hope that I might switch completely was in the back of my head, but I didn't make it a rigid goal.

I had just bought a carton when the gear arrived. Over the next week, I gradually vaped more and smoked less. When I got to the point I'd usually buy a new carton I said "Yay! Look how many cigs I have left." Success is very encouraging.

As I reached my last pack, I finally let myself think "What if I don't buy a new one right away? There's a 24 hour store a block away, so if I really want a cig I can get one at any time." The thought of not having any cigs on hand was a bit scary, but it didn't seem too overwhelming if I could get them at any time. Long story short, I still haven't bought that next pack and that was four years ago.

Any approach that works for you is the right one. Just don't give up if you slip up! Forgive yourself and pick up your vape again.

Best of luck for an easy transition!
My approach was similar to yours. I didn't dare hope to actually quit. My focus was on just cutting down enough to be able to go to a job interview without smelling like cigarettes. I was pretty sure I could do at least that much.

Then I just kept 'practicing' using ecigs and putting off that next cigarette. I still haven't had that next cigarette. I've managed to put it off for six years now!

BluebirdGal

Feb 27, 2017
Gunnison, CO
My approach was similar to yours. I didn't dare hope to actually quit. My focus was on just cutting down enough to be able to go to a job interview without smelling like cigarettes. I was pretty sure I could do at least that much.

Then I just kept 'practicing' using ecigs and putting off that next cigarette. I still haven't had that next cigarette. I've managed to put it off for six years now!

That's awesome! I'm hoping I'll be stating the same thing even a year down the road.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
That's awesome! I'm hoping I'll be stating the same thing even a year down the road.

I hope you will, and there's a very good chance of it. After 20 years of smoking and 4 of vaping, I've long since reached the point where I want to vape and I no longer have any desire to smoke. That too varies among vapers - some find it an ongoing struggle, while others find their interest in smoking eventually vanishes.

If vaping isn't doing it for you after you've tried for a bit, start asking questions. Tell us what you like about your AIO and what you don't like. It might or might not be the right setup for you, and if it isn't someone around here will be able to recommend something that suits you better.

Vape on!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@BluebirdGal - Welcome! You've come to the right place for support, answers to questions, and encouragement on your journey to quit smoking.

After 42+ years of smoking 1 - 1 1/2 PAD, vaping is what finally helped me quit...for good! I'd already gotten down to 1/2 PAD in Nov. 2013, when I got so sick (flu maybe?) that I didn't have any smokes for 3 days. When I had my first 1 on day 4...I thought I was going to cough up a lung I coughed so hard. It was horrible! I rummaged around and found the ecig kit I'd bought a year earlier, had tried once, and put it away...telling myself maybe I'd try it sometime later, but not then.

From that day, I started vaping while gradually cutting down on the number of smokes I could have each week. I knew that for me personally, going "cold turkey" to switch wasn't going to work. On Jan. 14, 2014 I had my last smoke and was vaping only...and loving it! I can honestly say I've never even wanted another cigarette (even when around smokers), and I know I'll never have one! I really enjoy not smelling like an ashtray any more, nor my house or car reaking of them either. Quitting was also the only thing in my life I'd wanted to do, that I'd never been able to accomplish. With the help of vaping, I finally did it.

I was the last holdout to quit smoking, of all my friends and every family member, except for 1 niece who's now trying the same thing I did to quit. So far, she's finding that dual using is also helping her switch totally over to vaping. Everyone is different though, as far as what method works for them. Finding it for yourself...is the key.

Hang in there, and please come here for support and answers to any questions you may have. We've all been where you're at now, and have made the transition. You CAN do this, too! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread