An alternative cotton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I've tried Cotton BaconV2 and Kendo Gold. They are both expensive here and both are good although Kendo is a little harder to get to wick properly in some rta's. I use Muji more than the other 2 and found a little trick that I thought I would pass along. Like most who use Muji I was taking out of the bag and start cutting (they are highly compressed in the bag). Then by accident one time I left one of the Muji pads out on my desk overnight unused. The next day I was surprised to see that it had reacted to the air and expanded greatly. Suddenly it had much the look of Cotton Bacon. I used that pad and found it wicked much better than those I had been using straight from the bag. I swear leaving it out in the air also resulted in better flavor. Something closer to Cotton Bacon. I have used muji pads that way ever since with great results. If you have a bag of authentic Muji cotton around give this a try. You might be surprised how it can make a difference.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Another vote here for rayon and imo, is just as easy to wick. Yes it may have to be a little tighter in the coil, but not much. I have tried many others and imo rayon just holds up better, tastes a little better, and wicks a little better. Imo all these wicking materials are good and close in every aspect and most likely in a blind taste test no one is going to tell the difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
One of the things about squonking, for me anyway, is that I almost never char or burn a wick. If anything, I'm more likely to over squonk and flood the atty, than dry hit. I suppose there are others who forget to squonk, and get a dry hit. I dunno.
But because of this, when I rewick, which can be every couple days, to several days, depending on the juice I'm vaping, it's not usually because the cotton needs changing. More often than not, the cotton is fine. It's usually because the coil needs a dry burn. I like caramel, vanilla, sweet type juices, and they do tend to gunk up coils. So, I'm not overly concerned about how much mileage I get out of a wick, nor how much juice a wick holds between squonks.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Then by accident one time I left one of the Muji pads out on my desk overnight unused. The next day I was surprised to see that it had reacted to the air and expanded greatly. Suddenly it had much the look of Cotton Bacon. I used that pad and found it wicked much better than those I had been using straight from the bag. I swear leaving it out in the air also resulted in better flavor. Something closer to Cotton Bacon. I have used muji pads that way ever since with great results. If you have a bag of authentic Muji cotton around give this a try. You might be surprised how it can make a difference.

Interesting! I'm gonna try that now. :)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've used just about everything out there including SS mesh and sterile gauze. IMO for clean flavor nothing has ever beaten SS mesh, but for me it's just not worth the effort it takes to use. The gauze tastes like hydrogen peroxide for a bit. The scary thing is I started to like that after a while, but then again I also used to like cigarette smoke
JC_whack.gif

I've settled on KGD and Rayon now. Both give me pretty much the same vape experience when I wick them properly. If I taste the wick at first I did it wrong and that can happen with either. Rayon does wick a bit faster, but if I'm using thin wire like 31 gauge, it's hard to get enough Rayon into the coil without destroying it. Other than that, or if I feel the need for faster wicking, I use either whichever I feel like that day.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
After you get tired of rewicking your atty every other day cause the cotton poops out, burns or begins to taste funky.

I've never had that experience unless I did a really bad wicking job. My coils always get gunked up before that happens. I even put back the same cotton wicks few times just to see how long they would last and for a few s & g'ls. That worked perfectly the few times I did it until I lost the patience to stuff the damn things back in there
dash1.gif

:)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I've used just about everything out there including SS mesh and sterile gauze. IMO for clean flavor nothing has ever beaten SS mesh, but for me it's just not worth the effort it takes to use. .

I agree, ss mesh was the best and although I also don't use it anymore, it did provide a taste that was awesome. My very best wicking material ever was the ceramic rods, imo even better then mesh , but even more tricky to use .

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I agree, ss mesh was the best and although I also don't use it anymore, it did provide a taste that was awesome. My very best wicking material ever was the ceramic rods, imo even better then mesh , but even more tricky to use .

I've never tried ceramic rods. The good thing is they're non-conductive, but I believe they're quite fragile. The last time I thought about trying them they were also quite expensive as wicking materials go. Is there anything new in ceramic these days?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I've never tried ceramic rods. The good thing is they're non-conductive, but I believe they're quite fragile. The last time I thought about trying them they were also quite expensive as wicking materials go. Is there anything new in ceramic these days?
Although I haven't tried them, they do have those pre built coils that have ceramic , but as far as rebuildables, don't think so. Yes they were a bit fragile and mainly for gennys and like you said a bit expensive. You needed a really tight coil but once everything fell into place, they were really special. I still have a dozen or so and from time to time set up an old genny or adapt one to an rta but it is a bit more time consuming and not really worth the effort unless your just in the mood

Reactions: Ryedan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread