PA 40% Tax Increase!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Yes they will catch up with you. So I just bought some e-liquid on ebay and will have to print off my invoice and pay the use tax on my income tax in January.
My stockpile, which is in addition to what I use every day will be 10 mods, 10 rda's and 500,000 mg of nic. That will last at least 10 years and may be 20 if nic is immortal in the freezer and the mods go for 2 years each instead of 1 year. My cost for all that is $650 (see below). If I paid a 40% tax it goes up to $910. I spent $910 to smoke for 3.6 MONTHS!. I could spend $30,000 to smoke for 10 years or $60,000 to smoke for 20. Buy what you need, pay the damn tax, and tell them to go to hell for the next 10-20 years.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
My stockpile, which is in addition to what I use every day will be 10 mods, 10 rda's and 500,000 mg of nic. That will last at least 10 years and may be 20 if nic is immortal in the freezer and the mods go for 2 years each instead of 1 year. My cost for all that is $650 (see below). If I paid a 40% tax it goes up to $910. I spent $910 to smoke for 3.6 MONTHS!. I could spend $30,000 to smoke for 10 years or $60,000 to smoke for 20. Buy what you need, pay the damn tax, and tell them to go to hell for the next 10-20 years.
Good for you and all the vape preppers out there. Apparently I waited to long- oh boy!

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
Ive been toying with that a lot.
do it, super easy, old saying "just keep it simple stupid"
lots of info in the diy juice section
dont have to be precise, just start w/small batches and use low % mix of flavor and adjust upward if needed.
when u get what u like then add the nic
im a cheap bas tard, for me i use about 7-10mls of flav(fruits, candy) + a few mls of menthol(diy from crystals) per 270mls of 80% vg base.
small doses of menthol is for not getting dry mouth/vapors tongue and not getting a menthol taste, more of a refesher cleaner taste and adding a slight punch to the flav profile., imo
i nuke it in the mw until its warm(timed in seconds) as it mixes better and its a fast steep method.
in less than a few minutes i have about 285-295mls of juice ready to vape for basically nada compared to retail

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitmetwice

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Sorry to say I dont. But I was ranting and where better to do it than here. Im not going back to analogs. I love feeling good.

I apologize that I reacted harshly to your OP.

I hope you can find your way around all this and I hope we can overcome all this horrific legislation.

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2012
    San Diego CA
    I am going to assume that wherever you buy from, you will still owe the tax, just like cigs. Years ago I knew a couple of guys that were buying cigs by mail from one of the reservations, and after a while the govt. caught up with them, and wanted the tax owed.
    Fasttech does not charge me sales tax and business in New York don't charge tax to Calif

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    From what Ive read, no matter where you buy it you have to send in a use tax on your state income tax if you havent paid the tax on it.
    If you buy e-liquid from an in-state vendor, it's presumed that they have paid the (wholesale) tax on the ingredients. Since that tax is on their wholesale cost for ingredients, it's a lot less than if you pay 40% on the retail price of out-of-state purchases. So if you're mad at the state and want to minimize what they get from you, but aren't willing to risk cheating, buy from a vendor within PA and keep your receipts.

So I just bought some e-liquid on ebay and will have to print off my invoice and pay the use tax on my income tax in January.
    You're supposed to pay it monthly, using a separate form.
    http://www.revenue.pa.gov/FormsandP...Documents/Other Tobacco Products/rev-1809.pdf

Good for you and all the vape preppers out there. Apparently I waited to long- oh boy!
    Too long to avoid this tax? Yes. Too long to save a boatload of money over buying retail juice? No.

In addition, there's still the FDA regs that will (unless something drastic changes) shut down the virtually all of the juice industry by mid 2018.

Verb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    If you are going to pay the tax according to the way the law reads, please buy as much as you can from non-vape specific retailers. Submission of OTP tax from non-"vapeshop" internet retailers, such as Amazon, sam's club, Home Depot ect. and submission of tax for item purchased retail in-state that are covered by the bill but not being enforced by DoR (screws & o-rings from lowes, VG from Walgreens), will all help prove this bill violates current state laws.

Tufur

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2014
    San Jose, Ca. usa
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: The discussion of pure nicotine is not permitted on ECF.

skiball

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2016
    Dumb question maybe
    If you order from China does the tax still apply?
    I live in Calif and were going to get this soon
    For the moment no this would be the best short term solution. I know fasttech sells original halo e liquid also and some other american brands. Our american companies started selling to chinese vendors for just this reason. Halo is 17$ a 30ml bottle but they only carry 3-4 flavors. For the long term it would be smart to get into diy and stock up on nic asap.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Reactions: gin828

Verb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA
    Sadly there's still a $5k/5year penalty for possession of products on which the tax has not been paid.

Thankfully, I have receipts showing everything I use was purchased prior to 10/1/2016...

I have my documentation too. But anything I have of value is not covered by the replacement tax anyway.

traten

Sep 25, 2014
    SE PA USA
    N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg
    I try to keep life simple. I drink coffee for the caffeine, vape for the nicotine content, eat meat for protein. You get it. When it gets all complicated with tax and regulation I fall back on my wits and experience. This beautiful flower is that of Nicotiana Rustica, the original, wild form of tobacco. This one has been growing inside under lights this winter. Soon, its baby brothers and sisters will go into my garden. Think the law will step in?

Attachments

• N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg
      N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg
      655.5 KB · Views: 24
    • N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg
      N. Rustica 2_10_2017.jpg
      655.5 KB · Views: 24

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    This beautiful flower is that of Nicotiana Rustica, the original, wild form of tobacco. This one has been growing inside under lights this winter. Soon, its baby brothers and sisters will go into my garden. Think the law will step in?
    No, because there's absolutely nothing illegal about growing your own tobacco.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread