How is vaping in public recieved in your country/area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vap3dz

Mar 15, 2017
Zürich, Switzerland
I live between italy and switzerland. Many smokers come curious to me when i vape and ask me about e-cigs like how its different from smoking and so on. Non smokers on the Other Hand either dont give a damn ffff about it or they Look scared of My MTL toots or ask me Things like " why you just dont quit smoking in General?". All i can say is that im cigarette free for the First Time After 10 years of smoking (2months now yeyyyy ), i dont smell anymore, i can Really Taste Food and smells ( Sometimes i regret it XD) and it has become more then just an attempt to quit smoking but a real hobby !

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I met another Snow Plow Driver the other day and when I walked up to his truck could smell the (disgusting) cigarettes but when I started vaping he was truly interested and showed an interest in quitting. I always tell smokers how much money they will save because it is true at least until the shinyitis kicks in!

we've a huge vapors' community in Russia:

Smoking was banned almost everywhere 3 yrs ago, in cafes, trains, airplanes, restaurants and all that stuff. You felt like a CRIMINAL when smoking.

Noone has ever nagged me so far coz vaping. Funny thing was recently in hospital, my doctor encouraged me to vape in the bed and pulled out his own machine, so we vaped together!!

Pauline / Lake Baikal

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I live in Virginia and the laws for vaping are the same as for smoking cigarettes meaning, anywhere smoking is prohibited vaping is as well. So I vape in smoking areas like everyone else..

In my immediate area, there are quite a few vapers - enough that a new retail shop just opened two months ago and seems to be doing fine. Vaping in general is accepted by at least most as just fine, and most people here acknowledge it to be safer than smoking.

I don't live in a large city, we border Kentucky (and near West Virginia also) here, but when we go and visit my sister in law, stepson, among other friends and family closer to DC in the Loudoun county area, vaping is just as accepted - at least by the people we know. I have some non smoking friends who say it's just fine if I vape in the house when I visit, and I have vaped some in their house but very sparingly as my husband smokes and he is relegated to the out of doors so often I step outside when he does and vape with him when he smokes.. I see it as being more respectful of our friends to do so, although I don't know why. Lol..maybe it's just the old smoking mindset that is hard to break.

In general it's not too bad here, it's becoming more acceptable by the day I believe, rather than less.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I vape in stealth mode everywhere I go. I've been told by a manager in Chili's once that they have a national no vaping policy in all their restaurants. I still vape stealthily when I go in there and two years after being told, no one has mentioned that policy to me again.

Walmarts in our area obviously don't care, but I blow it downward and don't allow floating vapor to occur.

Cities and states know that vaping is safer by magnitudes than smoking. The master settlement from tobacco companies extends 25 years from its start in 1998. They actually want tobacco companies to be able to pay out those annual payments, so cigarettes sales are important.

List by state of how much they will receive over 25 years. Vaping threatens cigarette sales and possibly the ability of tobacco companies to pay.
http://www.tcsg.org/tobacco/settlement/totalfunds.htm

Last edited:

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
I vape in stealth mode everywhere I go. I've been told by a manager in Chili's once that they have a national no vaping policy in all their restaurants. I still vape stealthily when I go in there and two years after being told, no one has mentioned that policy to me again.

Walmarts in our area obviously don't care, but I blow it downward and don't allow floating vapor to occur.

Cities and states know that vaping is safer by magnitudes than smoking. The master settlement from tobacco companies extends 25 years from its start in 1998. They actually want tobacco companies to be able to pay out those annual payments, so cigarettes sales are important.

List by state of how much they will receive over 25 years. Vaping threatens cigarette sales and possibly the ability of tobacco companies to pay.

Very enlightening numbers.

That the states who get the most are fighting against vaping the hardest is purely coincidential, of course ...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I don't vape in indoor public places out of courtesy and I'm not so addicted to vaping or nicotine that I feel the need to stick out like a sore thumb like that. Nor do I like the attention it brings.

When I go outside for a vape, I avoid the smoking area for 3 reasons.

1. Smoke stinks so bad, I can't stand it.
    2. Smokers look at me funny.
    3. Smoke stinks so bad, I can't stand it.
    (Yeah, that's right, I have become a snob about it anymore.)

I stopped talking to smokers about vaping. Most of them aren't genuinely interested and, honestly, most of them should just stick with smoking. Vaping isn't as "care-free" as smoking is and most smokers (especially older smokers over 40 or so) just want to light, smoke and toss.

If someone comes up to me wanting to know more about vaping, if I have time and I detect they are genuine about it and not just creating small talk, I will talk to them about it. Otherwise, I either tell them to find a vape shop to learn more or I just tell them to forget about vaping and keep smoking if I think they're not the vaping type.

However, the vast majority of smokers who approach me while I'm vaping just want to usually either complain about how they tried it and don't like it or actually try to tell me how bad it is for me. LOL A smoker, telling me, a vaper, how bad vaping is. You read that right!

Reactions: BreSha6869

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 21, 2015
    Toronto, Canada

Everything on Chili's menu is likely worse for you than vaping! LOL

They likely have to hit customers with defibrillators more often than they have to tell someone to stop vaping, though. :D

I always go to Chili's when I am in the US as it is kinda a guilty pleasure and my kids like it. Plus $2-3 for 2 small draft beers ain't too shabby.:thumb:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I don't vape in indoor public places out of courtesy and I'm not so addicted to vaping or nicotine that I feel the need to stick out like a sore thumb like that. Nor do I like the attention it brings.

When I go outside for a vape, I avoid the smoking area for 3 reasons.

1. Smoke stinks so bad, I can't stand it.
    2. Smokers look at me funny.
    3. Smoke stinks so bad, I can't stand it.
    (Yeah, that's right, I have become a snob about it anymore.)

I stopped talking to smokers about vaping. Most of them aren't genuinely interested and, honestly, most of them should just stick with smoking. Vaping isn't as "care-free" as smoking is and most smokers (especially older smokers over 40 or so) just want to light, smoke and toss.

If someone comes up to me wanting to know more about vaping, if I have time and I detect they are genuine about it and not just creating small talk, I will talk to them about it. Otherwise, I either tell them to find a vape shop to learn more or I just tell them to forget about vaping and keep smoking if I think they're not the vaping type.

However, the vast majority of smokers who approach me while I'm vaping just want to usually either complain about how they tried it and don't like it or actually try to tell me how bad it is for me. LOL A smoker, telling me, a vaper, how bad vaping is. You read that right!

Lol.. I'm "older" was a smoker,and took it up just fine and quit a two pack a day addiction..

When smokers come up to you and discuss how they tried vaping and it didn't work for them, it's because the set up they first tried wasn't good, or wasn't good for them therefore, they were unsuccessful in their quit attempt.

Vaping as a whole is a rather personal experience, but with the wide range of products available on the market today there is something sold which IS good, or would be good, no matter what kind of smoker you are.

My sister in law tried vaping (she's older too. Lol) and didn't work for her so she continued to smoke.. She had tried getting into it without anyone helping her, she had tried with something she was able to pick up cheap, and vaping was making her cough terribly..

Because I had successfully quit smoking through vaping, one day she sat down and talked to me about her experience, and I handed her some max vg e juice that I had on hand, and a new tank to go with her battery (just a little kanger t3s) and a few coils to go with it.. all in all I handed her less than 20.00 worth of stuff, I gave her a card with a discount code on where to buy more of everything I gave her, and told her if all that didn't work for her to come back and I would give her something better..

That was the LAST day she ever smoked a cigarette.. why? Because what I handed her solved her problem, and was right for her.. (She had been buying 50/50 juice without realizing there were other and better choices, and using a ce4 tank prior, and it was too hard on her.. she needed help, and I gave it to her) She has since graduated from the initial, but literally that day, she went from vaping not working for her, to being a non smoker.

Carry those business cards that people give you 10 of every time you make a purchase, and HELP people by telling them what to buy, and where to buy it.. hand out those cards... TALK to them..find out what kind of smoker they are so you can better help them They tried to quit, which means they WANT to quit.. they just don't know how, they don't know what to buy, and where to buy it without spending a fortune and ending up with something that's no good for them personally..

Don't ever tell people not to quit smoking, or thinking it's not for them! That's ridiculous.. people are talking to you because they want HELP!

So far, everyone I have helped has quit smoking but one, and that one has cut his cigarette use in half.. and they didn't even want to quit! I am working with them now to find that just right set up so they can go ahead and completely quit, and they weren't even seeking to quit..

So don't look at people as if they aren't capable of quitting smoking.. there is a product out on the market for EVERYONE - matter who they are!

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

I'm gentle about it, but I have several questions I ask people who tell me vaping is bad. If you probe gently it's pretty easy to turn them around on the subject.

I ask them what's in it that's bad. They usually tell me it has anti-freeze in it. I tell them "That chemical is Propylene Glycol, do you know where else it's used as an ingredient?"

They don't know that it's in their toothpaste to hold the abrasive mix together and make it creamy. The have no idea that it's in the soft drink they are holding in their hand and it's used to prevent excessive foaming.

It's in cakes, pies, and deserts and a list of hundreds of other products we eat, drink, and smooth onto our skin. It's even in the lubricating eye drops we buy to make them feel less scratchy.

They usually give up for lack of a valid followup point. Nicotine isn't really a reason not to vape. It's the reason we don't smoke anymore, though.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I'm gentle about it, but I have several questions I ask people who tell me vaping is bad. If you probe gently it's pretty easy to turn them around on the subject.

I ask them what's in it that's bad. They usually tell me it has anti-freeze in it. I tell them "That chemical is Propylene Glycol, do you know where else it's used as an ingredient?"

They don't know that it's in their toothpaste to hold the abrasive mix together and make it creamy. The have no idea that it's in the soft drink they are holding in their hand and it's used to prevent excessive foaming.

It's in cakes, pies, and deserts and a list of hundreds of other products we eat, drink, and smooth onto our skin. It's even in the lubricating eye drops we buy to make them feel less scratchy.

They usually give up for lack of a valid followup point. Nicotine isn't really a reason not to vape. It's the reason we don't smoke anymore, though.

I regularly use VG to make icing...(for cakes, cupcakes and various sugar work). this is why VG is food grade kosher, because we use it in food..

Just throwing that in.. it's something to also point out to people..

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    However, the vast majority of smokers who approach me while I'm vaping just want to usually either complain about how they tried it and don't like

This is what I addressed in my above post..

As for people complaining.. this is what most do, they complain that for them it was a waste of money..

I take that as my lead to sit down and talk to them, and tell them WHY it worked for me and why it can work for them, then I give them the help they need..

People are venting when they complain.. it's the perfect time to explain there are over 1600 vaping products on the market, and I can help them tailor a vaping experience to their specific needs and desires, and tell them if I can quit a two pack a day habit after a 32 year addiction, then so can they..

It usually opens their minds enough to give it a second chance, with more information than before.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    we've a huge vapors' community in Russia:

Smoking was banned almost everywhere 3 yrs ago, in cafes, trains, airplanes, restaurants and all that stuff. You felt like a CRIMINAL when smoking.

Noone has ever nagged me so far coz vaping. Funny thing was recently in hospital, my doctor encouraged me to vape in the bed and pulled out his own machine, so we vaped together!!

Pauline / Lake Baikal
    I like your doctor! Welcome to ECF!

Reactions: Opinionated

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2009
    Barnet UK
    I was DJ / guest at a Masonic function just outside Cambridge the other day. I had 3 of my e-pipes with me.

I've never talked to so many strangers in one night. Most didn't realise you could get something that shape to vape with & were turned off the idea because most of the devices they'd seen were box mods that "blew big clouds". After discussing what they wanted from an e-cig I ended up recommending several decent cig-a-like models & a couple of pipes along with a few liquid suppliers & a tube mod.

People need to start with the right e-cig for them & not go with the first thing the shop says is a good model.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Guys, you have to understand something. Not ever area of the country is the same. I live in a highly economically depressed area where people aren't too bright. Guesstimated average IQ is about 80 and the average smoker IQ is probably 70-75. That's why most smokers who approach me are complaining rather than curious (or just leave me be). I think their fear of vapor comes from thinking that maybe analogs will go away and they will be forced to quit or vape someday. They just don't want to vape and they want me to stop.

Also, not all "old people" are/were CEOs. In fact, most aren't/weren't.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    And I have to say one more thing, then I'll put this to rest (for me at least lol)

I don't vape because I think it's healthier than smoking analogs. I vape because I am a habitual smoker who doesn't want to get rid of the habit. But when I realized I had a tastier alternative with no smell, I tried it and never looked back after I found a good setup.

But I'm not going to sit around wasting my time with people who want a healthier alternative to smoking. There is enough info out there (and vape shops) for a person to get their info and make up their own mind. That's how I did it. And I'm not going to tell a person why they should (or even should not) switch to vaping. For all I know, they'll sue me when/if they have a bad reaction from it, or bellyache to me next time they see me when they tried it and could not stick with it, and spent aaaaaaall their money when they could've bought more analogs yaddah, yaddah, yaddah. lol.

I know the people in my area. I know how they think. My family was in business in this area for decades not too long ago. Just a bunch of cheapos, on welfare & crystal (thanks to the government), who want everything for nothing and have pie-in-the-sky dreams of "greener grass" without the work.

And I'm a pretty good judge of whether or not a smoker, asking about vaping, is genuine enough to waste time on. To all others, let me vape in peace...and get that smelly cigarette away from me, PAALEEEEEEEZ!!!!! ;)

lulz!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread